“Faulty Towers”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Newport
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Faulty Towers”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

What a mare! After travelling overnight to the Isle of Wight we arrived at the hotel rather tired, and in need of a nice refreshing shower (or even a bath) before heading off to the Inter County Darts Match we were there for. We checked in and made our way to our room up two flights of stairs, with different carpets, across a corridor and down some more stairs into a dark 'cubby hole' with doors to rooms leading off it. Our room at first glance looked okay, a bit tired with paint peeling off the ceiling and a definite tilt in the floor but we thought that quirky. The note on the window reminding guests to close them before heading out lest the pigeons fly in, was a bit unnecessary seeing as how they were nailed shut and so dirty the pigeons wouldn't know they were there! But the worst was yet to be discovered ....Now desperately in need of a shower I ventured into the bathroom, to find a shower curtain over the bath but no shower - so turned the hot tap on to run a bath and nothing happened - not just no hot water, but no water at all in either the bath nor the sink! Went down to reception (no phones in the rooms) to report this and was told if I leave the water running it will eventually get hot! Explained that there was no water at all so the receptionist asked a colleague to accompany me up to the room to check (like I don't recognise water when I see it). Then went back downstairs to reception to be told they would have to call the maintenance man ........ enquired what I was supposed to do about getting washed and was asked to wait while another guest checked out and they would let me use that room for a shower (and I use that term lightly because it was a hand held attachment that you had to sit in the bath to use, but it was better than nothing). Duly refreshed (ha) we set off for the venue. On my return I was told by the receptionist that the problem had been sorted and I shouldn't have any more trouble - great, thank you I said. Awoke early next morning and went to run a bath ...... only to find no water, again! Really ticked off by this point, I was getting dressed to go downstairs when I heard a gurgle from the bathroom - water had started to dribble out of the tap, so decided to just wait ..............AN HOUR for a bath of tepid water! Ah well, let's go for breakfast .......Nice dining room and tableware and staff really friendly, if a little embarrassed at the size of the plate (huge) and the size of the breakfast on it (tiny). Two skinny chipolata sausages, 1 egg, half a tomato and 1 rasher of burnt (black) crispy bacon that would have passed for shoe leather! Fortunately, they weren't charging extra for toast so filled up on that instead. General conversation in the dining room seemed to centre around the plumbing and the lack of hot water or the time it took to run a bath, so it wasn't just me affected.
On the positive side - the bed was really comfortable!
This is possibly one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in - and I've stayed in a lot!

Room Tip: Avoid staying here if you can help it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Karen S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was a shame, like others we had to pay on booking (very unusual!) and on arrival I wondered if we'd gone to the right place. It was deserted. The girl on reception was very helpful though - advised on best place to park, the hotel have nothing! Very fast on checkin. Our room, though spacious was quite gloomy. One of the windows insisted on rattling during the night, so out came tubes of toothpaste and makeup to wedge into the sash to hold it still. The bathroom was quite horrid - very dated, didn't look overly clean, but I think that may have been due its age. The hot water was scoldingly hot and ran too slow, so the shower was pretty poor - half a turn on the cold and the whole thing went cold, too much the other way and you were scolded - not good for children to use. It was very quiet, we were at the back of the hotel and it was silent all night. Breakfast, though in an amazing room - very art deco - was disappointing. There were only 3 cereal types, one juice - orange, and the breakfast sausages were tiny. As this hotel cost us more that our previous night's stay in Shanklin we had expected more. The staff though were friendly. Overall, it felt just a little bit sad and lonely - and though the beds were comfy and clean, we didn't feel comfortable there. We won't go again, which is a shame for such a lovely old building.

Room Tip: There is no lift - if you can't do lots of stairs, ask for a room closer to the ground.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Wuhan, China
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My son and I had hiked from Ryde to Newport, and now we had to hike around the town to find accommodation. We found the Calverts Hotel from directions given by another hotel which was full, and our immediate thought was that it was old and neglected. Old it certainly is, nearly 3 centuries old in fact, and we had some difficulty finding our rooms along the warren of corridors that seemed to go on for miles. The price quoted (£39) was per person, including breakfast, and the receptionist asked if we'd like two single rooms rather than a twin/double, same price. Indeed we would. The rooms were adequately sized, with the usual tv, desk, en-suite bathroom, toiletries, towels, tea/coffee facilities. Free wifi only works in the reception area, however. Breakfast is served in a windowless room in the far depths of the building, and was a very good affair. Overall, the hotel is good value, quaint and full of character.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sarumanthewhite
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

booked last minute, 86 pounds for a twin room.
on asking why it was so expensive, l was told it was high season.
there was no shower,the bath was marked in four places,the hot water
took ages to come through ,and trickled when it finally arrived.
the cold tap had a mind of its own,turn it two full turns and you might get
lucky. the sink cold tap refused to dispense any cold water.
the breakfast was nice and well served.
as we only stayed one night I did not complain.the place badly needs an
referb.. will never stay there again --steve and tommy--we stayed in room
26.-----august the 7th 2013.

Room Tip: look at the room first before paying.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Burnham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This hotel should be closed down. It smells , the bath rooms are disgusting. The whole place is depressing. Had to pay when we booked over the phone, would have gone home on next ferry otherwise. Should not be aloud to take peoples money that they have worked for

Room Tip: Don't go
Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony W
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I'm sorry to report that the Calverts Hotel is a shabby, old fashioned hotel with poor services! I stayed there on 26th/27th July 2013 and was disappointed in soooo many ways. Room size...not large. Room Décor.....1970s. Ensuite....really shabby, very slow hot water flow, miniature sink, no shower. Services....well....what services? Breakfast didn't start until 8am because the chef wasn't in before then!!! Coincidentally, parking restrictions outside the hotel STARTED at 8.00am so if you came in a car AND wanted breakfast you would have to nip out and feed the meter. The hotel has no car park of its own, 8am is a ridiculously late breakfast start and , although breakfast is included in the "way too high" £70 a night charge, I couldn't have breakfast on either day as I needed to leave by 8am to get to my destination in time. I was told that not refund would be made for this!
Sadly there are NO good bits to report on this "hotel"!!!

Room Tip: Book another hotel!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My partner and I stayed here during the Isle of Wight Festival and I was a bit concerned having read some of the other reviews about this hotel on the site. However, the hotel was fine. It's an old, rambling building and its decor is a bit tired and in places in need of refurbishment. However it was clean, the staff were polite, helpful and very friendly, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good and generous. We had an ensuite bath/shower and a flat screen telly (not that we watched it as we were out alot). Some of the reviews on here mention problems with noise from the street, we were on the 2nd floor towards the back and it was lovely and quiet, even with the festival. Since it is such an old rambling building I suspect the hot water problem that other reviews have mentioned is due to low water pressure. To get a hot shower, we found we had to turn on the hot first, wait for it to run through and then add the merest smidgen of cold - if they ever re-plumb they should probably change to a mains pressure system. I would also suggest that they invest in some towel rails or hooks so there is somewhere to hang damp towels in the bathroom. The hotel is very conveniently located within easy walking distance Newport town centre and the shops and pubs and Newport and the Isle of Wight are lovely.

Room Tip: Room away from the main street are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
Royal Esplanade Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Calverts Hotel? Share your experiences!