“better of camping!!!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Newport
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“better of camping!!!”
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We booked this hotel for the festival, thought we would treat ourselves some luxury!! rather than camping, how wrong were we.
We arrived to a polite receptionist, which was easy to check in, but after that it went downhill!
We had to carry our cases up 2 double flights of stairs which was ok we knew we were not staying at the hilton!!! But i think if there is no lifts someone could of asked if we needed help.
When we got to our rooms we thought they were a good size but very old fashioned!! the tv was from the 70's!! which now i've heard didnt always work, the curtains look like they were last washed in the 70's as well, the beds were comfy and clean.
The bathroom was awful !! We had no shower or shower head!! only a chipped bath, and with 3 girls staying in one room this was going to be time consumming, however we thought we would cope seeing how near it was to the festival.
The 1st morning we had absoulty no hot water in the whole hotel !!! There was no water at all coming out of the hot tap, we complained and they sent a plumber!! but it was too long a wait for the plumber, so the 1st day we had to boil kettles to have a wash!!!
The 2nd day we had enough hot water for 1 person to have a bath ( if we would have known this we would have used less water !!!
The 3rd night we had it sussed 1 would bath when we got home from the festival, and the other 2 would have a shallow bath in the morning!!
There was also pigeon poo on the windowsill which was not cleaned for the 3 nights we were there !!
I think we would of been better off camping next year at least we would expect no hot water !!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reading
Reviewed 29 May 2010

Just got home from a work visit to the Isle of Wight and my company booked me and 2 work mates in there at Calverts. The hotel is a budget hotel but great value for money. They only do Bed and Breakfast but are right near a whole bunch of pubs and restaurants for lunches and dinners so we had no worries there.
The rooms are clean and tidy and we were all lucky enough to be give double rooms for the price of singles which I thought was really kind and showed good service. The staff were friendly enough and the breakfasts were good with a selection of cereals, fruit, toast, juice, tea / coffee and a cooked breakfast. One morning we had to leave early so the staff kindly made us sandwiches to take away with us - again a nice touch.
There is Sky TV in the bar and they show sports - the TV's in the bedrooms just have the 4 channels.
All in all we were comfortable and well looked after, which is all you can ask for really when away from home.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Wiltshire
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I can't believe how little it cost me to stay at this hotel.

I stayed for three nights and had a deal that included breakfast and car ferry and I paid next to nothing. If I had booked the ferry direct with the ferry company I would have been paying nearly as much just for the ferry alone - I really don't know how they can do this deal so cheap!

I travel a lot - mainly city and town centre breaks and am quite impressed with the location and convenience of this hotel.

The rooms are a reasonable size and quite basic, but you get what you pay for. All rooms are ensuite, some have shower some have bath - when I arrived I was given a room with a shower but I prefer a bath and the receptionist was quite happy to change my room and meet my request.

The breakfast was ample with a selection of cereals, tea, toast and a cooked breakfast.

All in all an excellent find! I will go back when I return to the Island next year!

Just two things - no hotel car park but on street parking is free overnight. You can buy a visitor permit which makes it cheaper for parking in the day. And internet access - you can access internet n nearby library, no wireless at hotel! The receptionist was happy to print something off for me though which saved me having to walk to the library.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 11 October 2009

We thought it was rated 3star but it is definitely no more than 2. Room was clean but bath chipped and toilet limescale stained, no towel rail and no extract fan even though it was an internal room with no window. Breakfast was excellent and staff very friendly and helpful. We were not told about lack of parking when we booked (by telephone) and were a bit disappointed to find we had to buy a parking permit.
We were very unlucky to have to share floor with a group of all men whose language, manners and lack of any thought for others was unbelievable - but we appreciate this was not the fault of the hotel!
The bar is a very public area and attracted a lot of rowdy local people, thus making it not very inviting.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RubyPinky

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Rouen
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Well spent a couple night in that hotel and had a crush on one of the receptionnists :p

if she ever reads this line, i was french ^^

phil.nofx@caramail.com

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
reading
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I made a late booking and was pleased to get accommodation as it was during Cowes week.
On arrival I was greeted by a most charming receptionist who gave details about parking but it was not an issue as I left my car at the house of a friend.
My room was basically furnished, there was no remote control for the TV, the bedside light was not bright enough to read by, there was no shower in the bathroom. The room could have been improved vastly by the following additions. A couple of pictures on the wall, a towel rail in the bathroom, a lampshade in the bathroom (just a bare lightbulb there) a hook on the bathroom door, a light thet worked over the basin, and a blind in the bathroom. Just fairly cheap additions which would make a rather drab room seem much more homely.
Breakfast on the first day was good, served competently. On the second day a young girl was the only staff in the restaurant. There were six large bowls containing cereals and tinned fruit on the buffet, but only one serving spoon between all the bowls. There were no dishes to put the cereal into. The jug of orange was empty and no toast arrived despite a long wait. I finally gave up, but when I mentioned this at reception (just a young girl there) she just laughed.
Checkout is at 11am. At 10am a yet another young girl knocked at my door asking what time I would be leaving. I said 11am. At 10.30 she knocked and again asked what time i would be leaving . When I said still 11am she said 'what time is it now'? I think they would benefit by employing more mature staff or training the young ones they have.
I would not go back

• Liked — Bed,breakfast
  • Disliked — No shower, young staff not up to the job
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
Surrey
Reviewed 17 January 2008

Looking at Calvert's website I found it easy to use and my enquiry received a prompt reply. When phoning to book I found that the receptionist very helpful - I was advised about the lack of parking and told of a permit available that meant I could park on-street for an unlimited time (It was great for parking all over the Isle of Wight too).

Arrival: Clearly a different Reception from what’s been previously mentioned – A spacious and bright room located at the front of the building as you enter. I found the welcome we received was friendly and very informative.

The room: Obviously been re-decorated with a new carpet and lovely furniture. The televisions are quite antiquated and not all channels 1-4 can be received (the second TV I was given did though). I did not have a remote and when I asked a Reception they were unable to provide me with one, as they have no spares.

The bathrooms do still need updating but it was clean and suited its purpose. Shame that it lacked a wall attachment for the showerhead though. The bed seemed new and was very comfortable I might add! I had 2 extra pillows in my wardrobe and when I asked at Reception for another for my partner it was delivered to my door almost straight away. My room was located at the back as I requested so town noise was not an issue for me. On the whole it was warm and comfortable but no pleasing ‘extras’.

Breakfast/Dinner: Full English breakfast available along with the usual cereals, yoghurts and fruits etc which suited us perfectly. The service was polite and attentive. Although the Restaurant was a little on the cold side most mornings it was clean and had nice décor. By the evening the temperature had risen slightly and we were served by a very smart looking waiter/barman. The choice of food was good and the meal itself was lovely!

Bar: A public bar in the centre of town, but the service and atmosphere could not be faulted. I had a couple of great evenings in there – the only problem being it did not stay open late for residents.

Overall: It is a basic bed and breakfast hotel but they do serve lovely evening meals that were reasonably priced. The staff are courteous and the general atmosphere was really enjoyable.

A lick of paint has certainly helped and the addition of new furniture and carpets made it quite cosy. The bathrooms do need improving but the rooms have certainly come a long way from previous reviews on this site.

I think the no-smoking ban has helped this hotel to up it’s standard as it seems to improved greatly. I was very happy there for my 3-night bargain break.

I think it was a good deal as it also included the ferry there and back. I would be happy to return again perhaps next year and I can foresee more improvements when I do.

• Liked — Great food, lovely service, nice rooms
  • Disliked — Bathrooms, no late bar
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
Royal Esplanade Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Calverts Hotel? Share your experiences!