“good when it come to budget”
Review of Calverts Hotel

Calverts Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Newport
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“good when it come to budget”
Reviewed 25 January 2011

To keep it simple, if you are looking for a budget room that you want to use for a base, then i would reccomend this hotel. The rooms are nice, comfortable and very clean! The thing that most impressed me is the customer service at the hotel. I was blown away with the exceptional staff. They all made me feel at home and could not do enoiugh for me!
Local area knowledge at the hotel is also very good with the staff.
The only dissapointing thing is the bathroom I had! The decor was in need of a fresh coat of paint and no shower.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Hotel does not match the website details. Basic room but window view was a scaffolding tower and lean to ladder which had been there for years. Outside windows were filthy as was the windowsill. Pigeons roosted nightly on the scaffolding. Had to prop sash window open to get any fresh air. Bathroom had an antiquated shower attachment. Toilet seat kept slipping. Toilet roll holder had no bar. Receptionist was less than helpful telling us to prop open the window ourselves somehow. Thought it was amusing. Wouldn't go back if we were paid to.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StephenHay

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Portsmouth
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I stayed at The Calverts hotel last night for one night, the third time I have done so in three years. This is a very old building, but the rooms are very clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was great. The receptionist was polite, pleasant and helpful. It is in the town centrre and accordingly yards away from shops, restuarants and bars. The room rate is good and as a seasoned traveller, I would suggest accurate. If you're looking for 4 poster beds and silk curtains , then this is not for you, but if you want clean, comfortable and good value then it is.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We booked this hotel for the festival, thought we would treat ourselves some luxury!! rather than camping, how wrong were we.
We arrived to a polite receptionist, which was easy to check in, but after that it went downhill!
We had to carry our cases up 2 double flights of stairs which was ok we knew we were not staying at the hilton!!! But i think if there is no lifts someone could of asked if we needed help.
When we got to our rooms we thought they were a good size but very old fashioned!! the tv was from the 70's!! which now i've heard didnt always work, the curtains look like they were last washed in the 70's as well, the beds were comfy and clean.
The bathroom was awful !! We had no shower or shower head!! only a chipped bath, and with 3 girls staying in one room this was going to be time consumming, however we thought we would cope seeing how near it was to the festival.
The 1st morning we had absoulty no hot water in the whole hotel !!! There was no water at all coming out of the hot tap, we complained and they sent a plumber!! but it was too long a wait for the plumber, so the 1st day we had to boil kettles to have a wash!!!
The 2nd day we had enough hot water for 1 person to have a bath ( if we would have known this we would have used less water !!!
The 3rd night we had it sussed 1 would bath when we got home from the festival, and the other 2 would have a shallow bath in the morning!!
There was also pigeon poo on the windowsill which was not cleaned for the 3 nights we were there !!
I think we would of been better off camping next year at least we would expect no hot water !!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Reading
Reviewed 29 May 2010

Just got home from a work visit to the Isle of Wight and my company booked me and 2 work mates in there at Calverts. The hotel is a budget hotel but great value for money. They only do Bed and Breakfast but are right near a whole bunch of pubs and restaurants for lunches and dinners so we had no worries there.
The rooms are clean and tidy and we were all lucky enough to be give double rooms for the price of singles which I thought was really kind and showed good service. The staff were friendly enough and the breakfasts were good with a selection of cereals, fruit, toast, juice, tea / coffee and a cooked breakfast. One morning we had to leave early so the staff kindly made us sandwiches to take away with us - again a nice touch.
There is Sky TV in the bar and they show sports - the TV's in the bedrooms just have the 4 channels.
All in all we were comfortable and well looked after, which is all you can ask for really when away from home.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Wiltshire
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I can't believe how little it cost me to stay at this hotel.

I stayed for three nights and had a deal that included breakfast and car ferry and I paid next to nothing. If I had booked the ferry direct with the ferry company I would have been paying nearly as much just for the ferry alone - I really don't know how they can do this deal so cheap!

I travel a lot - mainly city and town centre breaks and am quite impressed with the location and convenience of this hotel.

The rooms are a reasonable size and quite basic, but you get what you pay for. All rooms are ensuite, some have shower some have bath - when I arrived I was given a room with a shower but I prefer a bath and the receptionist was quite happy to change my room and meet my request.

The breakfast was ample with a selection of cereals, tea, toast and a cooked breakfast.

All in all an excellent find! I will go back when I return to the Island next year!

Just two things - no hotel car park but on street parking is free overnight. You can buy a visitor permit which makes it cheaper for parking in the day. And internet access - you can access internet n nearby library, no wireless at hotel! The receptionist was happy to print something off for me though which saved me having to walk to the library.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 11 October 2009

We thought it was rated 3star but it is definitely no more than 2. Room was clean but bath chipped and toilet limescale stained, no towel rail and no extract fan even though it was an internal room with no window. Breakfast was excellent and staff very friendly and helpful. We were not told about lack of parking when we booked (by telephone) and were a bit disappointed to find we had to buy a parking permit.
We were very unlucky to have to share floor with a group of all men whose language, manners and lack of any thought for others was unbelievable - but we appreciate this was not the fault of the hotel!
The bar is a very public area and attracted a lot of rowdy local people, thus making it not very inviting.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RubyPinky
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
Sandringham Hotel
Sandringham Hotel
#7 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Calverts Hotel? Share your experiences!