“Work in progress or a Labour of Love?”
Review of Beach House B&B

Beach House B&B
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Widemouth Bay
Plymouth
“Work in progress or a Labour of Love?”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

While sat at home in the garden enjoying the sun I decided to search for a last minute night away to make the most of the weather and I was lucky enough to find The Beach House Hotel at Widemouth Bay - I was first attracted by the price, then noticed the room option came with a balcony overlooking the beach and with breakfast included I thought bargain, then I immediately wondered what the catch was. A quick look at Tripadvisor showed some mixed reviews but it looked like it had potential so booked it there and then and so glad I did. The hotel is situated on the beach and yet only 5 minutes in the car from Bude town centre shops and banks. On arrival we were directed to a private car park to the rear or beach side of the hotel where the entrance and beer garden is. We were given a friendly welcome, an explanation that the hotel was a work in progress and an apology for the rooms being a bit dated but clean. We were shown to our room and as informed the décor was on the tired side but it was a quirky en-suite and the view from the balcony across the bay detracted from any interior.
We went back down to the beer garden and shared a topside of beef baguette which was absolutely delicious and washed it down with a pint of cider and a fruit based drink for the lady all of which cost less than a tenner. Whilst enjoying our drinks in the sun and the north coast breeze we had a look at the evening menu. The range of choice and pricing was very good so decided to book a table in the restaurant for the evening and were recommended a table to get the best view of the sunset (can't tell you which in case we are staying there again!!).
After an afternoon on the beach (there is a little beach café at the end of the hotel garden for ice cream and teas etc) we headed back for the evening meal. The bar and restaurant area is bright with good views of the bay. There are settees and bookcases in alcoves and a definite beach vibe with a hint of the east here and there, all adding to a lovely atmosphere. The staff were friendly, laid back, attentive and added to the enjoyment of the evening. The restaurant was full on the evening we were there and I can understand why, the food was fabulous, well cooked, well presented and delicious. To start we had Thai fish cakes and the smoked salmon and potted shrimp followed by cod and tiger prawns and a steak and cream green peppercorn sauce. The gourmet chips are the best I have tasted and if I could have managed another portion I would of, but I could not even manage the dessert, although tempted. We sat and finished our bottle of rose wine ( reasonably priced once again) and watched the most beautiful sunset. After a real good nights sleep (must be the sea air and not the alcohol) in a clean and comfy bed we enjoyed a really good full English (Cornish) breakfast with proper tea pots and a filter coffee cafetiere, again the staff, who are all family and friends, were so nice and could not do enough to ensure we had a good stay. We really enjoyed the Beach House and will return at some point,
I suppose the weather enhances any stay and the sunshine allowed us to enjoy all there was to offer during ours but I would say this work in progress is a labour of love and it was nice to share it, its a nice feeling. I hope they go from strength to strength and wish them all the luck for the future.

Room Tip: Room four is small but great views from the balcony also overlooks the dunes and the rabbits (fun to...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
sussex
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Booked this via Hotels .com told it was a en suite room with a balconey
When we arrived staff very friendly location great , however that for us was where it ended and we left shortly after .

Hotel was all very 60s/70s from the pattern carpets to the shower cubicle in a corner of the bedroom to a small hand basin on the other wall .(not what I call an ensuite ) was bitterly disappointed and as I said didnt stay

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank crunch2308
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

A great find, right on the beach. Staff are great and make you feel very welcome, bedrooms are a bit dated but work is in progress to modernise them.The room was exceptionally clean,bed very comfy, only disappointment is wished I had booked a balcony room, but when we go back( and we will) the balcony will be a definate.
A good breakfast, plenty to get you going for the day. Food in the resturaunt is excellent, sea bream was scummy.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here with my wife in June 2014. I chose this hotel as it was reasonably priced, it came with a breakfast and was situated on the beach.

When booking this hotel, I wasn't expecting great things as the pictures on the internet didn't look the best. Even as we approached the hotel on the night of our stay, my excitement didn't exactly soar. It was simply the beach itself which was the biggest attraction.

Once in the hotel however, I soon had the feeling that I was able to unwind here. The staff were superb, our room had a sea view of which I had never experienced before and the breakfast was served beautifully hot the following morning.

For my wife and I, the best part of all was being able to relax with a drink from the splendid bar area. Come rain or shine, the lounge will not disappoint as the view will either provide a picturesque sunset or the sounds of crashing waves on a cosy winters evening.

During our stay, the weather was gorgeous enabling my wife and I to make use of the long garden area stretching onto the beach itself where we were able to watch the world go by. Here, we witnessed couples heading off for romantic coastal walks.

With such easy access to the beach, my wife and I were ideally placed to walk off our breakfast on the Sunday morning where we were able to soak up the energy of the young children attending the local surf school.

This was such a delightful break. We will definitely be returning before the end of the year.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are splendid, one's with a balcony create the complete holiday experience.
1 Thank TJones1982
Moreton-in-Marsh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We always look at overall reviews (some people are just over-critical), but had the recommendation of my brother just the previous weekend. The bay is stunning, but I would not have given the building much consideration normally. HOWEVER .. the welcome was amazing, enthusiastic without being overbearing, the rooms were basic but clean (beach/sea view and good sized balcony), the bed was comfortable, the breakfast was tasty, good standard, brilliantly cooked and served (we didn't try dinner, being out and about), and every staff member encountered was like your archetypal friendly host, professional but casual. Yes, there's things to do with the hotel - we couldn't get a television signal (?), didn't matter too much, we watched the rabbits and birds, etc - we found the shower (room 4) was a rather scary juggling act of extremely fine-tuning i.e. between 'cold' and 'scald' (beware that), but these are NOT complaints as such. We would definitely stay again, for the area, and to see how (presumably gradual) improvements are going, and for the delightful service you get at the Beach House Hotel. Thank you !

Room Tip: A balcony is good, if you're a smoker or not ....
Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having read some mixed reviews of this property we were slightly apprehensive - we needn't have been, we loved it here. The hotel is a work in progress and you need to know and accept this before you stay here. Beth and her team are updating it in stages and the bits that have been done are fabulous. We had an ensuite room with balcony. Yes the shower is actually in the bedroom with a curtain but this is no problem. The bed was comfy with nice bedding and pieces of driftwood art on the walls. The location is fab, right on the beach. We were blessed with good weather and it was the perfect end to our week in the West Country. The breakfast is nicely cooked to order and eaten in the newly refurbished restaurant. We had dinner in the restaurant on our first night and can honestly say that it was some of the finest food we have ever eaten anywhere. My only suggestion for an immediate improvement at this time would be to tidy up the outside areas a bit - I think this would make a huge difference. The staff are really friendly and there is a great atmosphere at this place. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in an ensuite room with balcony which was to the side of the hotel. I think it would be a...
1 Thank dollydaydream377
Margate
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Apart from the slightly dated bedrooms, our stay at this hotel was thoroughly enjoyable. The food was excellent, the service was what you would expect and the views were stunning. If we are in the area again, we wouldn’t hesitate in staying here again. A very big thank you to all the staff for making us feel so welcome and not least a big thank you to Mim.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Widemouth Bay
#1 of 9 in Bude
Falcon Hotel
Falcon Hotel
#2 of 9 in Bude

Been to Beach House B&B? Share your experiences!