“Now called KAO SAN”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 14 March 2014

we went here with friends a couple of weeks ago and must say this was some of the best Thai food we have eaten outside of Thailand.
staff were very attentive... Portion sizes were spot on and prices were nothing to moan about
the only negative was the fact that there was hardly anyone else in here.
SO PLEASE COME AND TRY IT AND SPREAD THE WORD.....FANTASTIC

Reviewed 11 March 2014

small family run restaurant. set back down a little alley way they do a lunch time menu
which is a light meal for £4.99 per head . or you can chose from the main menu .all
food is cooked fresh so be prepared to wait about 15 miniutes

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We went to this restaurant for a family meal (4 people) as we had not been here before and fancied something other than the usual Indian Curry...
We had seen the website on the net for The Thai Restaurant in Cannock and checked our the menus and it looked like a good place to go... we even looked over some of the reviews and whilst noting it had changed hands we didn't realise that the website link on Tripadvisor was no longer pertinent to this restaurant which is now the Kao San Restaurant.
We called ahead and booked a table about an hour before we arrived and was asked when etc and then told that wouldn't be a problem, they could 'fit us in' thus we assumed it was going to be busy even on a Tuesday! We duly arrived with some expectation of a busy south east asian restaurant with all the lovely smells and great food.

We opened the door and walked in to an empty silent restaurant... just one table occuopied by two diners, we were greeted by an oriental lady who directed us to a table as we started to sit one of our party noticed the very hot heater right next to her chair and we asked if we could move... this was misinterpreted by the lady waiting on and she proceeded to check out the heater and try to reorganise the table pulling it about 18 inches from the wall... and then bid us to sit whilst she attempted to prevent the very apparent rock our table now had by shoving something under one of the legs after a minute or so of trial and error we were there and she then went on and rearranged two other tables nearby which were now too close for anyone to sit at. It wasn't as if there were no other tables for us to sit at every other table for four was empty?? The decor is basic but fine... We were then handed 4 clipboards with rather shabby pages which I was relieved to find were the menus... I thought she was going to conduct a survey!! Even though it has only been a few months since it had changed ownership one would think that a decent menu would have been the first priority after all apart from the walk in experience, the menu is the first thing a customer has to assess the quality of the place... and on this showing so far I was wishing we had gone indian or chinese!!! The first items showing were the set menus and these showed £22 and £29 per head which was something of a shock as we had hoped to be trying the Earlybird special for £7.95 a head as show on the website we had viewed... but thius wasn't going to happen, Most of the other similar dishes have also increased in price quite a bit too and those were a factor of why the previous place was so well regarded I think. Anyway, we ordered a couple of cokes for the ladies and a couple of Chang beers for the guys and we perused the clipboard menu. When the time came to order we chose the Mixed Starter for 4 people and then a duck dish, a Thai Green curry and a Sea Bass dish, I sought some advice and was advised to also have a Sea Bass of a somewhat spicier dish with chillies which I ordered, we also ordered a selection of rice to accompany them.

The starters arrived and were absolutely delicious and couldn't be faulted apart from the Thai fish cakes being quite resilient and rubbery, but we are not sure if that is how they should be never having sampled them previously, they tasted nice too. The satay dip with the starters was quite excellent being clearly freshly made and very tasty. The Thai Green curry and the Duck dish arrived first and both were reported to be very nice, then out came the two Sea Bass dishes which took me back a little to see a whole sea bass, head and all curled up on my plate in what looked like a pond of sweetand sour sauce with red chillies copiously added. I never shy away from fish on the bone and am not even phased by the fish looking at me whilst I consume it... but it would have been nice to know this beforehand as I would have gone for something less hard work... and the person eating the other Sea Bass dish wouldn't have ordered it either had she known it was to be served as a whole fish. No matter, we should have asked as there was nothing to say one way or the other on the menu... either way the fish was delicious even if eating it proved more messy than I enjoy. My only complaint really would have been the rice, we ordered sticky rice, jasmine rice and coconut rice but both the latter rices were also very sticky to the point of unpleasantness, I like my sticky rice, sticky but the steamed rice i like to fall off the spoon in grains and not as one heavy lump.

On the whole the food was acceptable and enjoyable and doesn't really deserve an average rating, I would say it was Good overall with the starters being excellent and had we known about the fish and had differing meals perhaps it may have rated very good overall? The Bill came to around £80 inclusive of one round drinks, so cheaper than ordering 4 set meals overall. The restaurant, welcome etc were not so brilliant but are things that can be sorted. The overall experience I have put as Average, because there is no 'good' rating available and I wouldn't class it as very good at present but it could get there and better with some effort from the current proprietors.

NOTE TO TRIPADVISOR: This restaurant now needs to be separated from the Thai Cannock and given it's own page as previous reviews have the potential to mislead readers.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I ate at this restaurant several times when it was called 'The Thai' and under different management. We had always enjoyed our visits and when my father showed me the new Kao San leaflet pushed through his letterbox we were keen to give it a go. As always I checked Trip Advisor and noted that 3 of the 4 reviews since the take over were quite poor. I also checked a takeaway site's reviews and saw that most folk raved about the food so we decided to chance it.

We were a party of 6 and had an early doors 6pm table. 2 other parties of 2 and 6 arrived at around the same time. We ordered a mixed starter for the group and 6 different main courses to share. The drinks and starters were then all brought to our table very promptly. Every element of the starters was delicious and I would go as far to say the prawn toast was the best I've ever tasted. The gents all had Chang beers and the ladies ordered Mai Tai cocktails which were really well made. The main courses also arrived promptly and were all of a high quality. I won't bore you with a description of every plate but it was a diverse mix including a whole cooked fish. There were no complaints from anyone in our party and there was indeed nothing left for the dog! Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the evening and we didn't experience any of the negative aspects that other reviewers have detailed.

I'm happy that we decided to give the Kao San a chance and we will definately try the takeaway service and maybe the lunchtime menu next. It was competitively priced and my wife (who is Thai) is very fussy about her beloved Thai food and she was on the whole impressed. If I have to make 2 very slight criticisms it would be that the staff are maybe a little shy in their approach and that they need new menus (they have faffy loose paper sheets on clipboards). This is however a new business of only four months and of course there will be small issues to iron out. I'm giving 5 stars on the overall experience of our evening.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I visited the Kao San with my partner last night with some reservations.she wanted to eat thai
which narrowed our choice somewhat and though i had read mixed reviews we ended up there.
the decor could only be decribed as amateur with a cheap garden fountain the main feature.i laughed when i saw it. though the background mucic was pleasant enough it did nothing to add any thai authenticity to the restaurant.
we chose one of the more expensive wines only to be told some 5 mins or so later that they were out of stock.the place was not busy and our table was ten feet from the bar.5 mins wasted and income lost.we chose a cheaper wine.the staff should also know what is available.
the meal was pleasant enough and the staff friendly.
dessert time.a rarity for me but i just fancied one.the menu arrived.the table talker was placed in front of us.i read the one side and didn't fancy anything so turned over to a blank page.
my partner agreed that the choice was poor.i have since checked and found that there are many simple thai desserts available.more income lost.we popped to asda and bought an apple pie and custard.
with it's quaint position in a quiet alleyway and the large car park close by this restaurant has no excuses.eating there should be an experience.
my advice to the owners.visit other quality thai restaurants and pinch some ideas.

1  Thank Steve H