“Yummy lite bite and tea for two by the river!”
Review of Cafe by the River

Cafe by the River
Ranked #78 of 238 Restaurants in Blackburn
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have visited Read Garden Centre previously with my wife and enjoyed a refreshing drink in this cafe but on this occasion I took a friend of mine for lunch. It was her first visit to Read Garden Centre and the Cafe By The River - on my recommendation of course! We ordered ham sandwiches with salad garnish and tea for two and enjoyed it all overlooking the River Calder with a welcome breeze in the 28c heat! My friend bought bread and jam from the attached food section before we left. The staff were efficient and friendly and the food well presented and very yummy too! In the words of ‘Terminator 2’ “(I’ll) We’ll be back!”

2  Thank denjohn

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nipped in on a Sunday afternoon for coffee and a cake. Never been before but it was so cute! The garden cafe sits really well within the garden centre and I love the fact you can buy local cheeses, meats and gin from the cafe.

We went for a slice of blueberry and a slice of angel cake both with a cuppa. Staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. It looked as if they had been quite busy and were still quite busy with customers but it all felt very relaxed and calm.

The view from the cafe is gorgeous. I could've sat there for hours but we needed to hit the road!

The cakes were delicious, light and fluffy. The blueberry one was y favourite but I'd happily east either of them again! Great place for all the family, even the dog!

Reviewed 14 June 2018

I visited with 2friends for lunch. The cafe was busy with few tables left at 12.15pm. We sat outside overlooking the river. The menu is varied and we all chose the plate meat pie which is only available on Wednesday. Service was very friendly and obliging. The food was good, 3 empty plates went back. Orange and cranberry cake recommended too. We sat for a while with coffee, and later tea, chatting and watching a heron stalking his lunch in the water, not quite so easy to get as in this lovely riverside cafe.

3  Thank margeb15
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

We visited today for lunch, a party of 4 which included a child. We struggled to find a table. The staff were very unhelpful. Eventually managed to find a small table and ordered food. The tables had been rearranged to fit in a party of 5 which meant the walking to the counter to order involved asking seated people to kindly let us past as there was clearly not enough room for people to pass. We ordered a kids sandwich which was white bread, very disappointing! I ordered the fish finger butty which would have been nice if the fish fingers were not burnt! Luckily we had finished our meal when we were all asked to move in order to let a party with a dog outside as the table we were sat at was blocking the exit. Extremely inconvenient and inappropriate especially as the staff were so unhelpful and unapologetic. Looks like the nice little business has turned into money making greed. Less about the happy customer and more about making money and getting customers through, no matter where they have to sit!!! Will not be returning despite previously being happy with the place.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

Called in for lunch and we both enjoyed a sandwich. Sausage and bacon for me and bacon for my husband. The menu is varied and they specialise in different types of pies. There is a deli where you can buy some of the produce they use to take home. Small garden centre as well and if the weather is nice a lovely place to sit out by the river.