“Awful Hotel and service”

and 1 more site!
Hill View Private Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Blackburn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Room was tiny basic but clean,room was not en suite shower and toilet was next door(was in room 5)shower was freezing cold and had low pressure, toilet seat was falling off. When we got back from a wedding we rang the bell for ages before we were let in.We had to wake the owner's for breakfast when it did arrive it was truly awful, we were not told it was halal and it was rotten.There was construction work in progress and walls were not there and covered in plastic,the lounge was full of building materials and you couldn't even go it there.I think some guests were there as a kind half way house project,drugs etc

Room Tip: do not go,go elsewhere
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank markyM3907UA

Reviewed 25 August 2014

You get what you pay for, and it was inexpensive. In its favour, my room was clean. But it was a small attic room designed for 1 person - so it makes no sense to put in a double bed! I'm not a big person but I still found it hard to move around in. And porridge should not be offered as a breakfast option unless the "chef" knows how to cook it. Raw porridge oats with hot milk poured over? I don't think so. I found it all rather funny, as I just needed somewhere to lay my head for couple of nights, but it depends on your outlook. NB - Lots of awkward stairs.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank RosyPosy_12
Reviewed 30 June 2014

1. The online presentation for the hotel states that there is free car parking - the car park shown in one of the pictures is not their carpark. The second photo (which shows one car in it) is the actual car park and does not have enough room to park more than 3 cars comfortably to allow manoeuvering in and out of the entrance.

2. The advert for the hotel states that it has a garden. It has no garden. It does have a small area knee high and overgrown with weeds and full of rubbish and building debris.

3. On arrival, we were advised that the room we had originally booked had been re-let to someone who had decided to stay a second night. We were told that we would be given a smaller double room and given a discount of £10 for this. As it was so late and we had driven for some 12 hours we felt we had little choice but to accept. My partner was sitting an exam the following morning from 8am till 5pm and as we did not know the area and had no access to the internet, we had no way of finding alternative accomodation at that time of night. I hardly slept as I didnt feel safe. Even my partner (who works in construction and is physically fit and strong) double checked that our door was locked and we put our bags against it to ensure we were not disturbed during the night.

4. My partner and I had to 'duck' to avoid the low ceiling in the room which took up about half of the ceiling space.

5. The en-suite was extremely narrow. Anyone of more than average build wouldnt not have fitted in the area.

6. The toilet seat was broken and only held in place on one side.

7. The bowl of the toilet seat was smeared thickly in what appeared to be tile adhesive or similar.

8. The sink was tiny and was not helped by the glass shelf mounted above it, which meant when trying to brush your teeth then rinse out your mouth, it was near impossible to empty your mouth into the sink area without missing.

9. The bi-fold door to the en-suite did not fit the doorway so you could see from the bedroom straight through to the person using the bathroom which was not very pleasant for either person.

10. There was no panel underneath the shower tray.

11. There was a terrible smell of damp in the en-suite.

12. There appeared to be no hot water. On further enquiry we discovered the tap on the sink was fitted round the wrong way so you had to turn it to the cold setting to get hot water.

13. We tried to get the shower on but again, the shower had been installed incorrectly. In fact, it was installed upside down which meant the thermostat was unable to function properly so the water was either freezing or scalding hot, there was no in-between.

14. On complaining about the issue with the water in the bathroom, we were told just to use the communal shower room on the floor below. I do not think it is acceptable to be using a bathroom on a different floor to the room that you are staying in.

15. The communal bathroom was dirty and in state of disrepair. The door frame had huge chunks of wood missing, right through to the wall, around the area of the lock, which did not make us feel very secure.

16. The shower area was dark. There was a light installed above the shower but it was not working.

17. There was a gas boiler situated in the communal bathroom which had a mains gas pipe leading to it which was both dangerous and in bad condition.

18. The internal wall in the hallway was cracked from top to bottom and I dont mean a hairline crack, it looks like subsidence.

19. There was only one cup in the room, we had booked for 2 people.

20. We were told later, that this room is only usually let to a single occupant as it was so tiny - yet they were taking payment for a double room.

21. There were lights above the bed which meant we were unable to sit up in bed as they were placed right where our heads would be.

22. We had booked a 'quiet room' and were not given one.

23. The member of staff took my partner through to register the booking then told him that he would offer a reduction of £5 if we paid by cash instead of card and that he would tell Booking.com that we just hadn't turned up. We were not prepared to do this.

24. We went downstairs in the morning at 6.45am sharp (which is when they start serving, apparently). There was no light on in the breakfast area and the door was closed. Eventually a man appeared in the doorway - didnt enter the room. His only words of English were "Pay" and "Cash". We were advised on the Booking.com site that English was spoken at this hotel.

25. We were expecting to pay by card - as we'd given our card details at the time of booking online through the Booking.com website. The man finally walked away and we could hear him speaking in an agitated tone in a foreign language. This made me very uncomfortable and quite frightened.

26. Some 15 minutes later there was no sign of breakfast and no-one had come to take our order. Another guest, a workman, had arrived and got fed up waiting for someone to come. He went to find someone and they told him breakfast would be 10 minutes. Neither he nor we had the time available to wait any longer.

27. We went to check out and the man with no English came to the desk. He just kept telling us to "Pay Cash". He looked very annoyed that we kept telling him we would pay by card. By this time I was getting more frightened and just wanted to get out. So we showed him our print off of the Booking.com website and said that we were paying by card. He just stood and made no attempt to take a card from us. We said to take the payment by card and that we had to go. He just looked at us angrily and so we left. I was terrified walking up to where we'd parked our vehicle and couldn't get away quick enough.

If I could give this a rating of less than 1, I would do. But I guess if you've read this far that won't come as a surprise to you. I was so glad we didnt take our kids with us or travel on my own. Please, please go elsewhere!

Room Tip: If you want to choose a good room, choose one in another hotel!
8  Thank A S
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This hotel is set part way up a hill on a service road off the main road. There is no designated parking for the hotel which with 3 floors of rooms is not particularly helpful. I managed to park on the service road but I don’t think I was supposed to. It looks like there is some on-road parking on the main road. On arrival instructions were clear to phone a number using the desk phone and someone was with me within 2 minutes. I was shown to my room and bags were carried to the top floor. The single en-suite room was a loft room which was OK because I didn’t really need to access the sloping roof side. It would have been helpful to have a chair, desk and bedside table. The room looks and smells like it has been recently refurbished – so recent that I could still smell the damp plaster. There was a radiator with local controls that soon warmed up the room. No towels were provided but within 5 minutes the receptionist returned with some for me without me asking. There is a small TV with all Freeview channels. WiFi is not reliable on the 3rd floor and kept coming and going. The mattress was firm and comfortable. Oddly, at the head of the bed was what looked like a loft hatch secured only by a hook and a bit of plastic bag wrapped around it – I stuffed a pillow over it to stop any creepy crawlies getting in but it was probably the strangest thing I’ve ever seen in a hotel room. Breakfast, although paid for with the room, was non-existent. I was told the night before that it would be available between 6:45 and 9:45. The next morning I arrived at 8:00 for breakfast to be told it was 6:45 to 7:45. I was obviously very annoyed. The only response I got after that in broken English was “cook home”. I wasn’t the only person to have been misinformed as somebody else also arrived for breakfast at the same time.s

3  Thank SuttonCTravellers
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Family room booked 2 weeks prior to stopping over at this terrible hotel! Some guy called Ahmed took the booking with my wife's card details to secure the booking, Turned up at the hotel and Ahmed said he didn't take my wife's card details! We were cramped in a single room with 3 people in the cellar! No alternative was offered and they wanted to charge us £80 for the night!!! The bed sheets were dirty and so was the room! Customer service was awful!! Avoid staying in this hotel as it's a waste of money!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank H19LNE
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stopped over for one night as I had work at a local hospital. Although this received horrendous reviews I had no problem booking. I booked through Laterooms, £25 for the night. On arrival I received a friendly greeting. Paid the advertised price and was shown to my room. The bedroom was clean and definately had clean sheets / towels. Parking was free although it is in the college car park next door and I was asked by one of the students why I was parking there. He told me to inform the hotel owner that he should come and ask their permission first. My only gripe was that the window wouldn't shut and you could hear everything through the thin walls. Otherwise for £25 I got what I wanted; a good nights sleep in a clean room near to work. I will be back next time I'm in Blackburn on business.

Room Tip: Room 10 was good with toilet and and shared bathrooms nearby. However the wall is thin and the windo...
1  Thank DUSTYBOYCambridge
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

did not stay at this hotel but had to cancel due to personal reasons. I called and emailed the hotel several times 5days before I was due to stay here to cancel the booking. The phone was not answered or any emails replied to!

I finally got hold of the hotel the day after when a very rude lady answered the phone. Her opening sentence was hi...... Which I thought was a very unprofessional way for a hotel to greet a call. She then told me I had to contact booking.com to cancel the booking before putting the phone down on me without saying bye!!??

I then had to call booking.com and explained all this, they informed me I would have to cancel direct with the hotel as it was now past the free cancelation time. Booking.com called the hotel on my behalf and was told they would not waver the cancelation charge and the full amount will be charged! After serval more phone calls by booking.com the result was still the same with the manager even telling booking.com they didn't have a website for me to get there email address from so I couldn't of possibly tried to contact them!

The hotel then charged my debit card the day before I was due to arrive at hotel which I was very angry about as I had not officially canceled the booking and the booking states payment will be taken on day of arrival.

Even though I have lost £100 I feel I had a lucky escape after reading the other reviews on here!

So please save yourself the pain and don't book this hotel!!!

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank charlie_boo1989
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackburn
Good Night Inns Boddington Arms Hotel
#1 of 8 in Blackburn
Blakewater Hotel
Blakewater Hotel
#6 of 8 in Blackburn

Been to Hill View Private Hotel? Share your experiences!