“Another wonderful Christmas at the Millstone” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Millstone at Mellor

Millstone at Mellor
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Blackburn
Leeds
“Another wonderful Christmas at the Millstone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This was the fourth year that I had spent Christmas at the Millstone whilst visiting a relative in Blackburn. We had dinner on Christmas Eve and lunch on Christmas Day and had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and beautifully presented for both of the meals, and the staff were delightful and they were so accommodating about special diets. I can confidently say from past experience that there is nowhere in Blackburn that would do better. I am clearly not alone in taking that view, as the restaurant gets booked up weeks in advance because people vote with their feet. It was a perfect Christmas.
During the year, I travel widely around the world and stay in many good hotels but I think Anson Bolton could teach many of them a few things about good food and how to cook it and present it imaginatively.
I stayed for two nights and I had a very comfortable room with everything I needed. The breakfast was also excellent (I chose lovely poached egg on poached fish which was cooked to perfection), and the yoghurt was so delicious that I checked the label - it was sourced locally in the Ribble Valley (Ann Forshaw I think - full marks to her too). On departure, I booked for next year - and for Easter - I think that speaks for itself.

Room Tip: Whether or not you stay overnight, the restaurant is a must. You will want to come back time and ti...
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Millstone M, General Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
A big thank you for choosing the Millstone to spend your Christmas, we're really glad you enjoyed your stay with us & look forward to welcoming you back at Easter when hopefully the weather will be a little warmer!
Kind regards
Anson & The Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

The family Christmas meal is something of a tradition for my wife's family now but as the family grows the event gets bigger and bigger!!! but once agan the Millstone ensured we had a brilliant evening. With 21 members of the family taking part in the Xmas celebrations and we had a fabulous time. Nothing was to much trouble for the staff they even had a good laugh with us when the "Reeve" side of the family started the Christmas Cracker battle... The food was excellent as hot!. We will return again as we often do on a regular basis. I expect my wife will be rebooking very shortly for Christmas 2014! Finally thank you everyone at the Millstone for a great night! Cheers to you all! - Nigel x

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Many thanks for your great feedback, it’s always nice to know that the quality our food is consistent & staff love nothing more than to join in with Christmas crackers wars! Have a great Christmas & we look forward to seeing you all in the New Year.

Kind regards,
Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the team at the Millstone.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We visited the Millstone for a family Christmas meal and had a brilliant evening. There was a large number (21) of us in the top room and we had a blast. The food was delicious as always and the staff were really polite and friendly. The atmosphere is great and we return on a regular basis. I would highly recommend a visit to the Millstone for anyone in the area.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Many thanks for your glowing review, such feedback really does motivate the team especially at this time of year when we’re so busy. Not sure if you follow us on twitter @MillstoneMellor or like us on Facebook as we regularly keep our guests posted on what happening throughout the year.

Have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the the Millstone
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on 7th December after being at a wedding at nearby Hoghton Tower. There were a good few in the wedding party that had also booked at the Millstone.

We arrived not long after midnight and were able to check in at that time with no fuss as the bride had called ahead. However we had been advised that bacon butties would be available but when we asked for food, we were told everything in the kitchen had been switched off.

On going up to our room, we were met by a wall of stifling heat and immediately had to open the window to make the room barely liveable. The room was much smaller than I'd expect when paying £105 per night, however the bathroom was a good size and with modern decor.

Unfortunately there were no towels in our room so at close to 1am I had to go back to reception and request that some were brought to the room. This was done speedily but it was disappointing that they weren't readily available.

The noise as other guests made their way through the hotel was loud and intrusive and didn't lend itself to a restful nights sleep.

3 of us went for breakfast together at 9:30 and our orders were quickly taken, however the selection on the "serve yourself" continental breakfast table was poorly replenished and when my friend took the last available croissant, no more were brought out. When our toast order arrived, me having ordered white and my two friends having ordered brown, I received two full rounds, yet they were presented with half a round each. Despite this, the full cooked breakfasts we ordered were tasty and enjoyable (apart from the veggie sausages!) however I'd be reluctant to pay the price advertised if you were buying breakfast separately.

Despite our stay at the Millstone only being a short one, I feel that I saw enough to be able to say that I will not be spending £105 again at Millstone at Mellor.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Many thanks for your feedback. It sounds like a fantastic wedding you attended as many guests were in good spirits on their return. I apologise for the shortfall in our housekeeping and I’ve mentioned this oversight to our housekeeping team.

It would appear we got our wires crossed with the bride as we do offer “Bacon Butties” to guests arriving back from such venues, but as we don’t offer 24 hour room service we do ask that “bacon butties” are pre ordered, however it was pleasing to note that the team on duty were able to offer cold sandwiches.

Breakfast can be a little hectic on a Sunday mornings & I apologise for the buffet not being replenished quickly enough, I was surprised by your feedback on our vegetarian sausages as we have had many favourable comments about them.

The room you stayed in has recently been refurbished and I believe a bed and breakfast rate of £105 per couple represents good value compared to similar hotels within the area.

Given the length of your stay I do find your comments a little unfair though I’m sincerely sorry that you left the Millstone feeling the way you did.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Whilst the bedrooms are not huge every room is unique, wonderfully comfortable with everything you need. The shortbread is divine. The service is warm and friendly, they can't do enough. And the food is great. Fresh local produce lovingly prepared and served. Just had the best hotel breakfast in years. Can't recommend enough.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thanks for your review, Kris. I’m glad we are able to provide you with a comfortable place to stay every time you’re in the area. We like to send our guests off after a hearty breakfast as we think it sets them up for the day ahead! I hope to see you again very soon.

Gatlinburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Went here on our anniversary and have been 3 times since, it offers some of the best food I've had of its sort if I'm being perfectly honest.

The service is terrific, reasonably priced with a great atmosphere. If you're in the area do yourself a favour and get down there.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Anson Bolton - Manager at Millstone at Mellor, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. We pride ourselves on simple food done well, using locally sourced, fresh ingredients. Repeat business such as yours is very important to us and your feedback helps us to check whether we are doing things right so thanks again from all the team for taking the time to leave us your comments.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I had to stay at the Millstone last week due to a company function. The hotel was lovely and the staff very friendly and very helpful.
The room was amazing , had everything you could possibly need. Local made cookies on the tea tray was a nice touch.
I only have one criticism and that is the temeprature of the room. It was very very warm and the layout of the room did not enable me to open the windows, there was a fan in the room which I did use during the night, seemed slighty unusual using one in late October.
But apart from being too warm the my stay was just perfect.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your lovely feedback, we’re all really committed to delivering first class hospitality in both food and service and such feedback tells us we’re on the right track. Have a very Happy Christmas and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Millstone in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Anson Bolton - Chef Patron and all the team at the Millstone.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackburn
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Good Night Inns Boddington Arms Hotel
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho
The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel

Been to Millstone at Mellor? Share your experiences!