“Food good, service good, place needs a clean.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chopsticks

Chopsticks
Ranked #26 of 59 Restaurants in Didcot
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: http://www.chopsticks-restaurant.co.uk/didcot/home.html
Carlisle
“Food good, service good, place needs a clean.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went here on a family get-together, we have been before a few years ago and remembered it being good, so thought we would try it again.

It does look a bit grubby, I don't think they have done much to the place since we were last there a few years ago. When I sat down I put my hands on the side of the chair to pull it in and there was food stuck to it (or at least I HOPE it was food!!)

Then when we handled the menus, they were sticky and dirty again. I had to go and wash my hands after handling the menus so I could eat comfortably. The toilets were a bit grim, clean enough, but needed a spruce up.

We had the all-you-can-eat buffet, which is cooked to order. And I had some house red wine, which wasn't great, although you can buy better wines, but only by the bottle.

At first the waitresses seemed a little surly, but as you got to know them and chatted, it turned to being quite friendly.

Food was red hot when it came out - the starters were all deep fried so there is no excuse not to be really) but they recognised I was a vegetarian and put all my starters on a separate plate for me without me asking, which was a nice touch.

Satay mushrooms very divine. Then I had bean curd in red thai curry, which was delicious. But although I asked for no peppers or onions, it was full of peppers. I just picked them out.

The bill arrived with 10% service charge added, it says on the menu that parties of 6 automatically get a 10% "surcharge" added, but we were a party of 4 so I thought it was a bit cheeky. I always give a 10% tip anyway, but I like to do in voluntarily.

Would we go back? Debatable. The food was good, but the grubby overall feel of the place puts us off a little.

• Visited May 2014

Didcot, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrendous!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Ordered a takeaway from here to be delivered. Was told it would be an hour as they were busy. Fair enough. An hour went still no food. An hour and a half went still no food. Rang up and we were told the driver was on his way. A hour and 45 mins and the food still hadn't arrived! After an hour and 50 minutes the driver eventually knocked in the door. We unpacked the food and the order was completey wrong and stone cold!! Called the restaurant to complain and just got abuse from the lady. We asked for the driver to come and collect the food again and give us a full refund. We were told that the driver would bring a fresh order to us. We didn't want this. After much arguing on the phone the driver eventually came back to refund us. We then ordered our Chinese from a place in Abingdon. We will never be using Chopsticks ever again !

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank ldc-x
London, United Kingdom
“DIGUSTING”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Avoid this digusting chineses restaurant. Food and service are worse I ever had, waitress can't speak or understand english, asked to see the manager or owner, 5 minute later I spoken to a lady, she told me she is a waitress at this restaurant, then a day later I found out she was the owner, her name is Vanasa Lai. What a liar, if the owner lies with her name & position, what else they can do out of imagine. Dont trust this place. I will say chopstick restaurant didcot is the worse place in United Kingdom.

• Visited March 2014
Benson, United Kingdom
“never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

took my husband out for a birthday lunch to this place, he used to use it a few years ago when he lived in didcot but it was my first visit and it will be our last. the walls and furniture were filthy, the bowl used for the rice looked like the dog used it, one side plate had a a thumb sized piece missing from the edge and the was the fork (no knifes)was taken off of our starter plates after we had finished and put back on the table for us to use with our main course. as for the food........just yuck

• Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“The long wait....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Visiting Oxfordshire last Saturday night for a friends birthday party at Chopsticks Chinese restaurant couldn't of been more of an traumatic experience if one had tried.

Obviously being with close friends is what made the night, but the poor service we received put a bit of a dampener on the nights events. Nobody likes complaining as it taints the atmosphere - but we had to say something as it was like a bad comedy sketch - one that we were paying for!

We were a group of nine and opted for the reasonably priced buffet selection, having previously ordered drinks on arrival we soon found ourselves on course three before any of the said drinks arrived.

When they did arrive the order was wrong, as was the re-order and subsequent drinks orders after that.

We never received the correct food options from the buffet, whilst instead having to deal with the non speaking English staff who just preferred to dump anything on the table in a huff and disappear for the rest of the night ensured that we never did.

The restaurant was very busy that night but receiving very poor service doesn't justify this. Finally when the bill was presented this was completely wrong to, queried twice and corrected on both occasions swiftly was much appreciated as was a round of free drinks we received as an apology.

Two people as a result of dining here were sick throughout the rest of the night with one of those people still being off sick with food poisoning symptom's now. Obviously this cant be affiliated with dining at Chopsticks - as no tests have been carried out, but nevertheless with a Food Safety Score of 1, given by Oxfordshire CC one does wonder.

Wont be returning.