“Great lunch!”
Review of Prince Of Wales

Prince Of Wales
Ranked #21 of 65 Restaurants in Didcot
Reviewed 20 April 2014

One of the best sandwiches I have ever had in a pub. Grilled Haloumi cheese with lots of fresh salad, tasty fresh bread, and pleasant service upon ordering. If you're ever up that way for the Steam Museum, which we were, well worth popping in for an impressive bite!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We visited this pub after spending the day at didcot railway centre with our 3 year old son as they had Thomas the tank engine and friends there. We decided to stop in and have dinner before driving back to Milton Keynes. When we walked in it was busy, which we expected on a Sunday lunchtime at the beginning of the month when it was raining and there seemed to be a lot of other families with the same idea as us. We got some drinks and asked about food and was told there weren't any children's menus but the lady behind the bar listed to us what was available for children. We chose what food we wanted, but when we went to order they didn't hae basics like hamburgers and scampi, so myself and my husband had to change our orders for alternatives, and was told there would be a 30-45 minute wait for our main course but the starters would be with us before then, which we didn't see as a problem. After an hour of waiting (with a by this time very hungry 3yr old who was getting tired, he's not long turned 3) I approached the bar and the poor woman behind the bar thought at least our starters would be with us by now. She got someone to go check and 10 minutes later our starters (a cheese garlic ciabatta and a small nachos for us to share) appeared. And between a hungry child and husband they were demolished in seconds, and the lovely lady that was serving food, clearing tables and popping in n out helping behind the bar cleared out plates very quickly and told us our mains would be with us shortly. After another hour and my husband asking a guy that looked managerial in a lilac shirt twice where our food was, it finally came out. Over 2 hours after we were told 30-45 minutes!!! With no apology for the delay and no reasoning. We could understand if it was everyone that was waiting, but the table next to us had a group of 3 adults that had just ordered their food when we sat down, eat and leave, and then the table was taken by a couple who came in, ordered, ate and left before our food came out. We spoke to another family who had been in front of me ordering food, and their mains came out 20 minutes before our starters, but their food was also cold when it did come out!! We also noticed that my adults steal meal was on the same small sized plate as our sons child meal, because I had requested no peas due to being allergic to green vegetables. So rather than putting on extra chips etc like everywhere else does, they just put it on a smaller plate so it would look like more. We are extremely angry, and no one in authority had time to discuss our complaint before we left as they had an oil drum spill in the kitchen. I have tried finding a way to voice our complaint but as yet have not found a way. We are extremely dissatisfied as we go all over the place one weekend each month to take our son to do something different, and we always get dinner near to where we've been before heading home. We had planned to take our son back to didcot railway centre in the future as he loves all trains not just Thomas. But unless something happens to radically change our minds we would rather drive towards home a bit and eat in Oxford or somewhere than visit this establishment again. I have NEVER written a bad review on anything before, but our whole experience has really angered us, especially as there is no way to formally write the complaint to the management. There was one lady working solely behind the bar, one runnin around trying to do everything but still with a smile bless her, then the guy in the lilac shirt that looked managerial like I said, and there was a woman all in black with lots of tattoos that at first we saw serving food, but then even though it was really busy, with not an empty table in sight, she either clocked off or went on a break and sat near us on a table playing around on a laptop. For a busy Sunday lunchtime with rubbish weather and knowing that there was a family event on across the road, this amount of staff was completely ridiculous! And can't help but think that if they'd had more staff on then there wouldn't of been so many unhappy customers. As I say we have been many places, and with my work as a travel agent I have travelled all over the world. Never have I ever come across such an unorganised slow establishment. I can't fault the two young girls, they were absolute stars. In fact when I went to get a soft drink to accompany my meal, we had a laugh together as one of them had just had to explain to a gentlemen who asked about food that there would be a delay of up to an hour as they had this oil spillage in the kitchen, and the gentleman left. Then the other young woman said " well it'll take an hour to sort out the oil but you'll still have to wait four hours for food in here today". Even their own staff were disgusted with the speed at which it was going. There was a table near us that had a lot of people on and had some form of vouchers that the manager looking guy paid a great deal of care and attention to, and sat talking to them etc while there were others waiting ages for food! I am now registered disabled, and due to this have to take painkillers with or just after food at regular times, and we'd worked it that dinner would be at the perfect time to take them even with the half hour wait. But by the time the food did come I was way overdue my pain relief and anti sickness tables, which then has caused me problems for the last couple of days. If we had known we wouldn't of stayed, or I would of got some crisps etc so I could take my tablets. We spent just over £30 on food, plus the same again plus a little more in drinks as we were waiting so long, but I was in such a way after my tablets being late I couldn't even eat the food! luckily my husband and our son ate theirs, I think our son because he was starving and my husband for the same reason. He had an all day breakfast that had more hash brown bites than anythin else!
I would highly recommend to anyone to STAY AWAY!

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

This pub was a happy refuge from the lack of food at railway museum.
Service polite and friendly , food hot and tasty , good coffee, clean toilets, nice decor what's not to like. Lovely ginger and pear pudding with custard and didn't break the bank.Thankyou

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Great location, however the cost drinks is shocking... Was going to order food as it seemed to be reasonably priced but saw what others ordered and decided against it as it looked like microwaved meals.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Went here for lunch following a trip to the railway centre and can't say I was impressed at all.

The decor inside is lovely and the location is ideal, right opposite the station, so there is a huge potential for this pub to do a roaring trade...however, the food was rubbish, taking the best part of an hour to arrive, even though there were not many people in there.

When it did arrive, it was cold and pretty much burnt, though with two starving kids in tow, no time to send it back or go elsewhere!

There were no roasts on offer, as the meat had not arrived (??!!) and costly for a decidedly average meal. Staff were in short supply and getting served took ages

Wouldn't return unfortunately and wouldn't recommend either