“Great stay”

Village Hotel London Watford
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elstree
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Excellent stay with my wife and two children. Service was great throughout especially reception and the two restaurants. The swimming pool and sauna area was kept in excellent condition and was never too busy. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Village Hotel London Watford

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We chose to stay here after visiting Harry Potter world which is only a short drive away. I had managed to get a deal which included an upper deck room, dinner and breakfast.
The hotel is randomly situated on what looks like a business park, so dont go there if you want a nice view!
There was plenty of parking and check in went smoothly.
The room was a little disappointing considering it was the top end, the carpets were stained, the wardrobe mirror had a crack so was held together with silver electrical tape, the ceiling had been painted but bits had been missed. I suspect that this looked very simliar to a standard room but they can up the price by adding a few 'extras' - Sky TV and and a docking station
Dinner was included but this was from a set menu or we could have had the value of £14.50 each to spend off the normal menu. We ate in the Italian restaurant - the food was OK and staff friendly. Breakfast was self service - cereals, fruit, pastries and cooked items.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clanmudd
Reviewed 21 October 2013

For a 3 star hotel this is great, we upgraded to a Upper deck room which was well worth it. The receptionist was really helpful and very pleasant, she aslo remembered us the following morning and asked about our evening which was a nice touch, bed was really comfortable. Breakfast was OK but it does annoy me when the fruit and yoghurt is not kept in the chiller and just left on a table there is no way im having warm yoghurt for breakfast. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RomneyMarshian
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed here on Friday and apart from the 4am entertainment from room 115 that kept the surrounding rooms awake I had a great stay. Fantastic wet room and very comfy bed. Breakfast is what DeVere is famous for it was amazing. Love DeVere and love this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Craig P
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times and have had such a great experience here that it's definitely my hotel of choice in the area.

Staff are friendly, helpful and talk you through all of the hotel amenities when you check in. The rooms have modern décor and facilities, I particularly like the walk in showers that some of the rooms have. Breakfast is of a high standard and the staff there welcome you with tea or coffee and show you to a table.

The last time I stayed there was a mix up on my booking so they kindly upgraded me to a room on the Upper Deck. You get Sky TV, iPod docking station, Starbucks coffee, luxury toiletries and bedding however I'm glad we didn't pay for this upgrade. The Sky TV was so difficult to use that we had to ask a staff member to come to the room, the iPod docking station didn't work (or at least we couldn't get it to work and were too embarrassed to ask a staff member to come to our room for a second time) and I don't drink coffee so that was a bit of a useless perk for me. The toiletries were lovely and the bedding extremely comfortable however the standard rooms are just as good.

This is a great value hotel to stay in, lots of offers, free wifi, free parking and overall a great stay!

Room Tip: I would not recommend Upper Deck upgrade as the standard rooms are great anyway King beds are two s...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Where do I start. Unfortunately had a terrible experience here whilst staying one night for work purposes.
Firstly I arrived and was told my evening meal wouldn't be included in the room price - however, I was told it would be when initially booked. Then they checked and told me it was.
Made my way to the gym facilities and approached the reception to ask to sign in, only to be greeted (if you can call it that, she barely lifted her eyes) by a lady reading a magazine behind the desk, totally disinterested and rude. To which her reply was, this is the hairdressing reception. Let me make it a bit clearer, this is one long desk leading to the gym, so I was unaware half was hairdressing half was gym service. So instead of turning to the guy next to her and saying could you please help this lady, she totally snubbed me. Very unprofessional!
Didn't get a tour of the facilities to show me where everything was, had to keep asking staff and guessing.
Gym equipment was filthy, covered in dust and mud, not great.
Swimming pool far to busy lots of swimming lessons without any cut off times, so there is no possibility of relaxing in the Spa area.
Room was dirty, there was a huge crack on my glass mirror dressing door, which was taped with duct tape.
Internet continually dropping out, couldn't complete much of my work.
No small toiletries in standard room which I find strange, only a hand pump and a hair and body pump in the shower - very basic.
No vegetarian options at the Italian restaurant , and when I did approach they said my meal wasn't included, after telling me it was earlier that afternoon. Then decided it was included when I questioned all this confusion.
I needed toiletries as I was travelling light, they said I could buy toothpaste but they had no thooth brushes! I explained toothpaste is useless without a toothbrush!
At breakfast there was no alternative to cows milk - very surprised, specially in this day and age when so many people suffer from allergies and intolerances.
Checking out - was told AGAIN my evening meal wasn't included so but this point I was furious as you can imagine, poor communication and organisation between staff and managers. The card was then charged when I asked them to check for the 3rd time if the evening meal was included as I has been told so many times the wrong information.
No body asked how my stay was when I checked out.
I then returned for lunch (can you believe) in meetings as I was close by, ordered the super food salad, waitress comes back 10 minutes later, no super food salad left (this was the only veggie option) in The Victory pub so ordered house salad, no cabbage or avocado so ended up having a basic salad made of peas and tomato for the same price!

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had staying in a hotel and I feel as though no one really knows what is going on there. Poor organisation, service and cleanliness.
*all of the above actually happened and there are no egsaggerations , all in the space of 24 hours

Do not visit, pay the money and go somewhere else.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Becjinder S
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Very disappointed with Elstree Village. Stayed last Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights. On way home we realised that a new shirt still in M&S bag had been left in wardrobe.
Sunday rang hotel told housekeeping were off duty.
Rang hotel early Monday/ told room was occupied so they couldn't look. I pointed out that surely the chamber maid would have ensured wardrobe cleaned . Change of response they would contact housekeeping no respofnse would ring back. They didnot I rang back that particular chambermaid was of duty. Another call yes the chambermaid had been contacted she knew where shirt was. She would let them know when she returned.
No further calls have been received.
Tuesday Hotel staff still behaving in uninterested way.
The responses give a very bad impression on the integrity of staff and on the organisation. Lost / forgotten items.....found by staff /put in designated place with room number and date. Those answering phone know where to look and can respond to customer. Arrangements can be made for collection and return.
In this particular case we are not expecting spring lean to find an earing. This is a fairly obvious left behind item.
Could I have a response from a senior manager. For family reasons my husband and and I stay at Elstree 4/5 times a year. I am still waiting shirt and response.

Room Tip: Don't bother with Upper Deck.........coffee dreadful. Only difference with other rooms some aver...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elstree
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Mercure London Watford Hotel
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood
Jurys Inn London Watford
Premier Inn London Elstree / Borehamwood Hotel

Been to Village Hotel London Watford? Share your experiences!