“a bit tatty and a little bit chavvy and not what I expected of a deVere”

Village Hotel London Watford
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elstree
Winchester, United Kingdom
“a bit tatty and a little bit chavvy and not what I expected of a deVere”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

booked as it was fairly local for a friends wedding and first impressions checking in at lunchtime was staff weren't over impressed as it said 3pm. I explained I had rung to check as we had booked 2 rooms and we' were at the church for 3pm. Rooms a little worn and waiting in the bar area for friends it was clear it was loud and brash and not our scene. What made it for us was the strictly stars and dancers were staying there so when we arrived back very late my wife was over the moon to meet up with them and again at breakfast. If you bear in mind the £79 then it is good value for money but is very loud.

Room Tip: any the sound proofing was excellent
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
Stone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

A weekend away to enable a variety of activities.
The hotel is 2.5 miles from Edgeware tube station,a quick £8 in a taxi. It's also 2 miles from the Elstree studios where Strictly come dancing is held.
A simple hotel with a massive spa, gym and pool used by locals and guests. The rooms were fine,all you needed in a standard room, no bath just a walk in shower. Clean and mod. The hotel has a Starbucks, Italian resturant and a pub which also serves food. The deal was great at £72 a night, if you stay 2 nights a evening meal is thrown in, breakfast included as well. Great price.( weekend rates)
What we really liked was that you are staying outside of London but it was so easy to get in to the city. Edgware tube is the last stop on the Northern line, but it's only 30minutes into town and is £ 17for2.
Having stayed in various hotels across London, we did like being outside the city but within easy reach and of course a cheap price.
We had no complaints at all and enjoyed a great weekend.
By the way all the Strictly stars and dancers were staying there as well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Tried to book a night at this hotel for a Xmas party I am attending.
I wanted check check this was the correct place and selected the correct option from the phone options. It was confirmed as the correct place, however to book a room, I was put through to "Central Booking". The phone was never answered, so after 10 minutes hanging on on an 0871 number I hung up. I redialled and selected Central Booking of the main menu. After another 10 minutes of hanging on, the phone still wasn't answerred. It kept telling me to use their web site. So today in desparation, I used the website which after 10 minutes, I still couldn't book a room! At least it was free! I decided to ring the 0871 number one more time and eventually got through after 5 minutes wait. I'm not sure why I bothered as he was not a native english speaker and it took almost 5 minutes just to get my desired date understood (I am a native english speaker with no strong accent). After another long wait I was finally told that the hotel was full and no rooms were available. What a waste of time and as a business a disaster, I will not be calling their number or using their website ever again!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, clean comfortable room, very helpful staff, stopped on the way down to the O2 to let them know we wouldn't be checking in till late, they put in on the computer next to my booking, check in quick. Breakfast on first day was ok but nothing to write home about, we wanted to have a quick getaway on Sunday morning so checked what time breakfast was and told it was 8 till 10, we went down for 8 quite a few people had the same idea, restaurant all in darkness not set up for breakfast another guest went and got someone who went in to find out what was going on, came back out & let us in, but there was no waiters to be seen, no continental breakfast items out toaster not on no bread some cooked available no explanation very disappointing . Left and went to find breakfast elsewhere, glad I didn't pay used tesco vouchers.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This is a nice hotel with an excellent swimming pool, gym and hair salon. It's situation is in a rather unfortunate 'industrial' estate type area so there is little visual appeal on arrival.

My room was OK; the bed, duvet and pillows were superb. Buffet breakfast choice was good but staff could have been more helpful. Breakfast plates were stone cold so food got cold quickly.

A couple more negatives:

The lighting, although quite attractive with options of side light only, etc. is in fact far too dull if you are searching for something in the back of the wardrobe, for example.

The en-suite: I had a 'wet room' and the shower was not functioning correctly. There was no bath and the water was dangerously hot. The fan system was not working either so steam built up in the room. I had to rinse soap off at the basin and was uncomfortable, stressed and nearly late for an early morning appointment on my first day.

I changed rooms the following day which caused me further delay in that I had to wait for my new room to become vacant and then cleaned. I was nearly late for a lunch appointment due to this.

I had to ask to be compensated when I complained at the end of my stay, which I was - but only a little. So I remained pretty miffed especially as I'd paid extra for an Upper Deck room.

Room Tip: On arrival, check your en suite shower.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thornhill, Canada
Reviewed 4 November 2013

After checking various hotels in the Elstree area we decided on the Village Hotel and were not disappointed. We had an UpperDeck room which was great and the bed very comfortable. The only negative was that there are no draws for clothes and the only cupboard is very dark inside and needs a light.
The facilities are great although we did not use the pool or gym. The pub food we found good but the stand out impression of the total facility was the staff.
All the people though out this facility were very compitent and friendly especially the front of house and our complements and thanks go out to Felix and Magda and also to Nancy the front of house m manager for their professionalism and attitude.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Eddie K
Bingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Excellent stay with my wife and two children. Service was great throughout especially reception and the two restaurants. The swimming pool and sauna area was kept in excellent condition and was never too busy. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elstree
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grim's Dyke Hotel
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 9 in St Albans

Been to Village Hotel London Watford? Share your experiences!