“Just okay!”

Village Hotel London Watford
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elstree
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Good Points:
Excellent Italian restaurant (even better value with a voucher)
Good breakfast
Nice size pool
Nice bar
Helpful Reception staff

Bad Points:
Pillows were empty, very uncomfortable
Poor quality picture on TV in room
Kids having swimming lessons in amongst hotel guests on a Friday evening and a Sunday morning
Memory Foam mattress cover ensured a sweaty nights sleep
Bathroom was tatty, needs attention
Hinges hanging off wardrobe doors

Overall good value as we only paid £52 for a king room instead of £105. If I had paid £105 I would have been disappointed. The rooms looked nothing like they did on the website. If you want to go into London take the tube from Stanmore, Jubilee line into central London. It will cost approx. £6 in a taxi from hotel to Stanmore.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,832)

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

My eldest son lives in London which is over 120 miles from home so we Tavel down to visit infrequently.
We booked the De Vere Village Elstree on the 8 th feb for a 2 night stay. Booking a double room and a family room with twin beds.
On arrival we checked in and were given the keys to our rooms. The window in the first room would not shut and the family room had one double bed instead of the twin beds we had booked.
The receptionist was informed and we were told that house keeping would be with us ASAP. 30 mins later we had to again contact the reception.
We were finally moved rooms to a very dark and dated room. Very disappointing. My children again had to wait for twin beds to be made up.
The facilities in the hotel were very poor with the swimming pool and jacuzzi extremely cold. On informing the pool attendant the jacuzzi was closed and during our 2 day stay never opened again. When confronted about this we were told that it was the managements decision and that was that!!!!!
Breakfast on both mornings was a complete let down.
I am a vegetarian and was amazed that there wasn't any vegetarian sausages on display. I asked for these on both occasions and on both days they arrived after my family and I had eaten our breakfast.
It is a very tired looking hotel with uncaring and unbothered staff.
We usually stay in a premier inn and will be doing this again in future.
The worst part has to be that on the 9/2/14 when I returned home I immediately E mailed my complaint to the address I was given by the receptionist but to date have not received any correspondence .
HOW RUDE BUT FULLY EXPECTED.
If you are thinking of a stay in London then any premier inn is a more up market, pleasant and value for money stay.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Not to go at all, you've already read other reviews. A cut down version for easy reading.

Reason for going? A long weekend break, london sight seeing.
Hotel? Modern but getting tatty in places, maintenance is sloppy, lights out switches bust lamps dangling etc.
Staff? While we were there, 1st and 2nd time, very helpful, especially bar staff in pub.
Rooms? Same as hotel comment, good size for couples, bath base is round not flat so bath very slippy accident waiting to happen. Rooms with adjoining doors, ok for family connection. They are not sound proof i don't want to hear next door getting jiggy, sounds like their in the room with us lol. Dark cant see thermostat without torch. Nice big windows and comfy beds, 3rd and 4th floor same apart from some simply extras, dont go top deck unless u really want to. Not worth the money.
Gym/pool? Cool, but pool to small for amount using it, just full of kids at weekend swimming lessons no room to have a swim without bumping elbows. Sauna steam room, good, relaxing. Slippy pool floor tile where flip flops.
Restaurant? Not bad.
Breakfast? Not bad
Bar? Very good
Price? A little to high
Location? Good, Taxi to tube at stanmore 7quid, day ticket 8quid. 20 mins straight into central
London.
Parking? Good, a bit busy at weekend, struggle finding spot, but it is a busy place. U can park on main road, no charges for either.
Noise? Not bad but don't get adjoining doors.
Cleanliness? Slightly above Average, dusty in places, mainly rooms.
Would i go again? Yes its better than holiday inn round corner, that never again!!!!

Room Tip: Don't get room with adjoining doors, not sound proof. Top deck same as 3rd floor room, some it...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy G
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed here in January with my girlie friends, on our theatre weekend to London. The room rate inc breakfast was fab and only a 20 min train/tube into central London.
The Village hotels always provide fantastic value, service, quality/modern rooms with great facilities- this was just perfect!
Breakfast inc, and that was great, and the staff were so helpful with advice about getting into central London, which station to go from, best tube stop to get off etc...
Would recommend and would totally stay again- right by Elstree studios, and Harry Potter experience .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Have stayed here a few time snow and each time something happens that makes me think I should give the Mecure Watford up the road a try.

The hotel has everything you should need for a business stay over, coffee shop, 2 restautant/pub places, early opening gym etc, but nothing seems to feel right.

The rooms are dark and poorly lit, good luck trying to see what is in the wardrobe. Took ages to work out how to use the Sky/TV system, the Upper Deck rooms are advertised as being better than normal rooms, but having used both I can't say I see much difference.

The food in the Italian place was okay, staff were friendly, but no draft beer and what bottled beer they had was warm.

Breakfast is okay, but a Mecure, Novotel and Premier Inn (yes!) offer a better selection and quality.

It's location makes it good for business and the 6am gym & pool is great if you're up early.

I wouldn't stay here for pleasure, but as a business stopover it just about does the job provided you close your eyes and ignore the fact it could be so much better.

Room Tip: Can't see the point in extra for Upper Deck rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ChrisW178
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We have stayed here quite a few times and probably would again due to it being close to family and friend living in the Elstree area. The lobby to the hotel is well maintained and houses a Starbucks which is much needed. Take a piece of advice and book room only as the breakfasts are very poor - go to Starbucks instead. The food on display at breakfast looks like it has had better days and when you ask for hot mushrooms when they have run out you are told that there is a global shortage of this vegetable!!

The bedrooms are DARK. Take a torch and very dusty. Applying makeup is hard in such poor light. We need to adjust the thermostat in the room and couldn't see to do this due to the poor lighting and had to download the torch app on the iPhone to enable us to do this.

We had a family room as we've got two children. Their beds were on a dirty carpet and the room was cramped. Unsure if this was a fire risk.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bingodublin
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at the Village Urban Resort Feb. 2nd-5th 2014. I would NOT recommend this hotel. In fact, I would describe my stay as the closest I have ever come to camping indoors. There are certain amenities that I never considered as extras until my stay at the Village. The hotel is 4 stories high and my room was on the 3rd floor. Apparently anything below the 4th floor will not have a clock, no minibar, no washcloths, and my favorite NO Soap! There is a liquid soap dispenser similar to a public restroom next to the sink and another in the shower. The shower dispenser has a combination soap/shampoo which means it will not wash off your skin, while too harsh for your hair. My remote control was taped together and there was a layer of dust covering the surfaces. The wifi comes and goes. It was camping indoors, I changed to a much more desirable hotel for my remaining days in London.

• Stayed: February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elstree
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross

Been to Village Hotel London Watford? Share your experiences!