“Nice hotel”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elstree
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights when we went to the Harry potter studio tour (which is around 25mins away approx) and also into London. The hotel itself is modern and clean and the majority of the staff were very helpful. We stayed with our 3 month old and requested a quiet room with a travel cot and they delivered both of these things without any trouble. Our room overlooked the car park at the front, with the windows shut you don't hear a thing, but with the windows open it's incredibly noisy (even on a Sunday night!!) it sounded like there were deliveries arriving all night. The bed was comfortable but quite hard and moved away from the headboard if you rolled over etc. overall It was very clean and the monsoon shower is amazing if you been walking around London allday!! We ate in both restaurants, but we definitely preferred the Italian even though the menu was small. Two main courses and two drinks came to under £20. The bar / grill was very disappointing as we went for an evening meal on Sunday evening around 7ish, it wasn't very busy and yet they had sold out of most things on the menu !! It was also £32 for two main courses and two drinks and the quality of the food was average !!! Breakfast buffet was good with the option of full English, pastries, fruit, cereal and toast. Tea and coffee were brought to your table but oj and milk were available on the buffet.

Can't comment on tube stations because we drove and used the hotels free parking but we drove to Westfield shopping centre in Stratford and it took approx 45 mins and the same to get to Kew Gardens.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and we were given an end of corridor room (306) and didn't hear any ot...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Luke P, General Manager at Village Hotel London Watford, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Sarah0250,

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort London Elstree. The team and I were extremely pleased you had enjoyed your stay!

I was especially pleased our modern bedrooms were to your liking, our walk in monsoon showers are certainly a favourite amongst our guests! Furthermore I was happy to read you enjoyed your experience in Buca di Beppo as we have been working to improve our service and offerings within the restaurant.

I can only apologise some items from our pub menu were missing, this is certainly not a usual occurrence.

Sarah0250, thank you again for your feedback as it will allow us to bring further improvement to our service and offerings. I certainly hope we have to opportunity to welcome you back to Village Urban Resort London Elstree in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Polish first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I use this chain Uk wide but this is not one of the better ones. Reception area needed a good clean, floors dirty and dusty, tables not cleared of glasses/cups regularly.
Bar area floors sticky definitely that old nightclub feel. Food in Victory bar area exceptionally poor with very limited choice more so than other hotels of this type within the chain. Staff could be abrupt when ordering food at the bar. Would say they were overworked but certainly came over as stressed and normal requests could be too much trouble. Rooms clean, quiet and tidy. Reception staff helpful in contrast to bar and restaurant people. Overall good location, having used the DeVere/ village chain regularly for business perhaps my colleague and I had too high expectations. We would use again through location rather than choice.

• Stayed June 2014
Hi Ron G,

First and foremost please allow me to apologise for our lapse in service during your recent visit to Village Urban Resort London Elstree. We pride ourselves on our high level of service and standards however on this occasion we seem to have fallen short.

I do not wish to look for excuses but would rather work to identify why we have fallen short and bring immediate improvement to ensure it is not repeated in the future.

I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience directly with you. If possible if you could please contact me at luke.pearl@village-hotels.com it would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to hear from you in the near future and thank you for your valuable feedback
london
Reviewed 8 July 2014

on arrivel at hotel 11=30 , early , was informed by lady on reception , we could book in ,
on arrive to the room on first floor , the outlook (if u can call it that )
was of a roof of a building , went straight back down to reception and explain / ask if we could have a room with a view ,
was informed to return to room and she will see what she could do .
ten minutes later a diffent room will be avable in 30 min
change rooms to 3 rd floor with view and 20 min later reception actual phone up , to make sure room was ok ,( 5 stars to reception )
car park is more than bigger enother for all cars and more
we use the swimming pool / sauna / steam 4 times when we were there
change rooms / lockers / showers was first class
two MAJOR COMPLAINT WITH THE SWIMMING POOL AREA
dispte notices up in the change rooms saying u must wear over shoes pool side
which staff did . there was a lot of people walking from the changing rooms around the pool side , with normal shoes on and no over shoes on ,( pleanty my the entrance to the pool , from both changing rooms ,)
staff pool side was not intrested in what was going on ,
plus there were certain women in the pool , going backwards and forward to sauna/steam . wearing a suit that complete covered there body , this can not be hyginc to allow this sort of dress in the pool ,
use the restruant on first night , it was not busy , but serve was very slow ,
menu and prices was what expect of the hotel ,
second night use the bar in hotel for a meal ( sunday )
staff very friendly , but half what was on the menu was off the menu ,
which was disapponting , but what we did have was good and resonable price , so was the drink
breakfast on both days was great , pleanty choice from the cerail section and the cook secation .
but again , at to chase up / actaul ask for tea / coffee , as got fed up waiting to be ask
reason not give 5 stars , was the swimming pool let in down
all the staff at to do . was give over shoes to people walking in with out them and ask them to wear them
im sure most of the people not compling were members of the health club .
with which if asked / pointing out , this couls easly be overcome
not sure if this is possible or not , but the first floor rooms that look out on to a roof ,
would it not be possible to put plant pots out there , to give a slight better out look
because no way would i be happy to stay in a room with that outlook .

Room Tip: ask for rooms on the front of the building and higher floors
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robrt
Dear robrt,

Thank you for providing us with feedback from our recent experience at Village Urban Resort London Elstree. Although we are extremely pleased you enjoyed your stay it was disappointing some areas were below our usual high levels of service our guests have come to expect.

I was extremely pleased we were able to provide you with an early check in. Although you were unhappy with the first room we provided I am happy the team were able to locate, clean and still provide an early check in. Furthermore I was delighted to see our team provided a courtesy call to ensure your new room was to your liking.

I would also like to thank you for providing us with such valuable feedback regarding your experience within our pool. We certainly do require members/guests who are walking around the pool to wear plastic shoe sleeves. In regards to your comments surrounding full length swimming suits I am unsure of this practice but will endeavour to investigate to ensure there is no risk to hygiene to our guests.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide us such valuable feedback as it is only with constructive comments we able to drive improvement. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Village Urban Resort London Elstree.
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel for a weeks business trip. I needed to stay in Hertfordshire and this seemed to be one of the few decent hotels in the vicinity. All I can say is that it was a lucky find!
The front desk staff from the moment i arrived until when I left were helpful, friendly and did the best they could to accommodate me. The bedroom was extremely fresh and clean and the bed was SO comfy - more comfortable than a lot of the luxury 5 star hotels I have stayed in!
One small recommendation would be to check the light bulbs as the room was quite dark and one light bulb wasn't working. I also found one of the male receptionists by the pool to be extremely rude. Other than that, it was a highly enjoyable stay. I will certainly be back and recommend this to any business traveller looking for a great nights sleep

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hi emmykeyes,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your recent experience at Village Urban Resort London Elstree. The team and I were extremely pleased to read you had enjoyed your stay and had the chance to use the facilities available to our guests.

I was disappointed to read our lifeguard had not provided the high level of service our guests have come to expect. Please accept my apologies for this lapse in usually high level of service and thank you for providing such helpful information so we may ensure it is not repeated in the future.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Village Urban Resort London Elstree in the near future.
Fairford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The Urban Village has great rooms and superb facilities. However eating in the Victory was a disaster. I only wanted a snack so ordered the Chicken liver pate with crusty bread and a ginger and kumquat pickle. When it arrived I was disappointed to see that the crusty bread was in fact brown sliced toast. Worse was to follow, the pickle was some diced tomatoes with some white wine vinegar. Upon complaining the member of staff checked with the kitchen and told me the menu's hadn't yet been reprinted. I doubt this is the new menu, more likely they had run out of the ingredients. They could not supply me with any sort of pickle so I returned the dish - no problem with the refund. I didn't expect great things from the food but have been disappointed even by my low expectations.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Luke P, General Manager at Village Hotel London Watford, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hi lexxp,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at Village Urban Resort London Elstree. Although we were pleased you enjoyed our rooms and facilities it was disappointing to read we fell short in providing an enjoyable dining experience in our Victory Pub & Kitchen.

I do not want to look for excuses for our lapse in standards and wish to understand why we fell short of our usual high quality. I would like to take the opportunity to discuss your experience in person so I may understand why we fell short and implement measures to ensure this is not repeated in the future.

If you could kindly email me at luke.pearl@village-hotels so I may personally contact you it would be greatly appreciated.

Lexxp, we do appreciate all forms of feedback as it allows us to drive further improvements and focus on areas where we may from time to time fall short. Thank you for taking the time in providing us with valuable feedback.
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in one of the upper deck rooms. It's well worth the upgrade.
Fabulous room with a big comfy bed.
Great breakfast too.
The staff were really lovely and helpful.
What's not to like?!
Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014
Hi Kelly E,

First and foremost the team and I are extremely pleased we were able to provide you with an enjoyable experience during your recent stay!

Our upgraded Upper Deck rooms are certainly a fantastic offering we can provide to our guests and we are happy you enjoyed their added amenities. Furthermore we were pleased your overall experience from the service we provide to our breakfast offering was positive and enjoyable.

We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Village Urban Resort London Elstree in the near future.
Cheshire
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had the misfortune to stay at the Village Urban Resort Elstree on a Business Trip on 1st July. I stayed here because my normal Hotel, the Holiday Inn in Elstree was full apparently because of Wimbledon

I arrived late at 945pm because I was late leaving my work in Cheshire.The Hotel looks very modern and smart from the outside and based on the very expensive £130 a night price tag had high expectations. Unfortunately it all went wrong from there.

On entering the Hotel I thought the Hotel was quite dark and dingy. When I checked in the first thing the quite abrupt receptionist seem to take great delight in telling me was that food orders had finished for Restaurants and Room Service. Nothing at all could be ordered. I was absolutely amazed that such a big Hotel couldn't even muster up a Sandwich. I was presented with take away Pizza menus as an alternative. I don't like eating food from places I have not seen so as there were no Restaurants nearby I had to get back in my car and find a Take Away myself.

The room was quite dark and shabby with the TV damaged, the light seiches broken and the air conditioning did not work at all so I was hot all night.

I Couldn't wait to get out of this awful Hotel the next morning. I complained again but there was no real concern by The Receptionist. So I will chalk this episode up as a bad experience not to be repeated and would suggest that other Hotels in the locality are much better all round

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Greetings GardeningPB,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at Village Urban Resort London Elstree. We appreciate all feedback and we were troubled to read your experience was not to the usual high standards we strive to provide to our guests.

I do not wish to look for excuses as to why your experience was not positive and would like to provide you with our sincerest apologies. I would however like to have the opportunity to discuss your experience further so I may fully understand why we failed to provide a positive stay and implement change to ensure this is not repeated in the future.

If you could kindly contact me via email at luke.pearl@village-hotels.com it would be greatly appreciated.

I do hope to hear from you soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elstree
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
Mercure London Watford Hotel
Jurys Inn London Watford
Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood

Been to Village Hotel London Watford? Share your experiences!