“Does exactly what it says it will!”

The Waggon & Horses
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Elstree
Price range: US$14 - US$31
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A stunning 15th century Inn, the Waggon & Horses is full to the original rafters with period features. With three open fires, a library, beautifully decorated in keeping with its age, this pub is at once cozy and romantic. With live music on certain nights, it transforms into a happy party venue with a real old fashioned buzz. The food is inspired by Mark Hix and celebrates the best of seasonal Britain. With a great wine list, cutting edge world beers and expertly kept ales, you will be left wanting for nothing.
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Only had two pie choices the evening I went, but the chicken one was really great. Friendly service in a straightforward English pub. Good choice of well kept real ales - relaxing, unpretentious and good value. Sadly 180 miles away from my home, so may not be able to get there again!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Nine of us descended upon the Wagon and horses Saturday 3rd May. Yes there is a little wait for the food, but it really is worth it! I had steak and Guinness pie, I have never had a pie with so much steak, in fact, it might of been nice to have a little more Guinness/gravy!
In my opinion the Charter pie, chicken is slightly better than the steak pie.
I have little doubt we shall be returning very soon.
Only slight let down, Sharps Doon bar was off, had to make do with Timothy Taylor's Landlord lol.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Looking forward to revisiting the Waggon this Easter weekend. Every visit has been an enjoyable one with a friendly atmosphere, excellent food and cheerful service. The pies are my favourite. The beer garden overlooking fields is particularly nice, especially with the barbecued food and a good band on stage.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Brilliant family pub. Always a warm welcome and amazing food. Sunday lunch is the best ever!! Nothing is too much trouble. Have been there for lots of meals and can highly recommend it. Great bands and lovely roaring log fires. What more could you wish for.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We have been several times to this gastro pub. 2 weeks ago seven of us booked for dinner. When we arrived the tables weren't laid up and it took over 20 minutes for someone to take drinks and food orders. There were only 2 staff working and they were also serving behind the bar as well. The starters were fine and then the mains came out. Myself and my daughter had ordered the rib eye steak, the most expensive item on the menu. Mine was perfect, my daughters, however, was so peppery that even may father-in-law, who loves pepper, could not eat it. We couldn't find anyone to talk to so eventually my husband went up to the bar and we sent the food back. 5 mins later the steak was returned, they had SCRAPED THE PEPPER OFF THE TOP. Unsurprisingly this was inedible, so I cut my steak up and we shared. Once again there was no one around to speak to. When the waitress eventually cleared the table she asked about the uneaten food and we said it was inedible and had not been replaced. We had desserts and then spoke with the waiter (I believe he is one of the owners)about the food. Our bill comes and we were duly told that because of the problem they had kindly removed the cost of 1 of the STARTERS!! When we asked to speak to the manager the chef came out. I don't think I have met anyone quite so cavalier and arrogant. He said that he would not be taking the cost of the steak off the bill as there was no way the steak was over seasoned, as he has been seasoning steaks in the same way for 15yrs and he never makes a mistake. When asked if he tasted the steak when it was returned, he admitted that he had not, so when we asked how he could be so sure, he continued in the same vein informing us of his expertise. We duly left paying in cash for all items and not the steak.
I will not be visiting this restaurant again and will not be recommending it.

3  Thank jmdb51