“Great communication beforehand”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elstree
London, United Kingdom
“Great communication beforehand”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed here on the Easter weekend just gone after a family wedding. There were roughly 27 of us. I appreciated that the staff were happy to communicate with us prior to our stay to ensure that our requests were met. I checked all the rooms in and the staff were extremely patient during this. Rooms were lovely and beds are very comfortable. After the reception party, we came back as a large crowd and we were quite noisy. The staff did extremely well in trying to minimise the noise to other guests without actually bursting our bubble! In the morning, as per our request, there was a room ready for us to have breakfast in. My only slight complaint at this point was that although I had explained that we were all vegetarian in advance, I felt that they could have provided a bigger quantity of certain products. Overall though, it was a fantastic experience. .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pujan T
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us, Pujan T.

I was glad to read that your party enjoyed staying with us before, and after, the family wedding and I am pleased to hear that we communicated well with you beforehand. I am sorry that the information regarding the group breakfast requirements was not properly communicated internally and, as a result, you felt what we offered was a bit limited in choice. This lapse has been rectified already and all information discussed prior to arrival is now being communicated more effectively.

I have also passed on your kind comments regarding the staff to the team.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Manor, Elstree in the very near future.

Iain Murray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
St alabns
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I held my wedding and reception here at the end of September and it was everything I hoped for! The day was prefect, everyone loved the food, the venue and the manor took care of everything. But a couple of weeks later (after my honeymoon and back to normality) I looked threw the boxes of table decorations etc that the manor had boxed up and I noticed a few thing were missing! Only small things like sweet jar lids, sweet tongs but most important to me my wedding music. I phoned and asked if they still had these bits but knew I should have called earlier, well it's now the end of April and meny calls later and still no one has told me if they have the bits or not! I'm guessing they haven't but a polite I'm sorry but no would
have done! It feels almost like their saying ur days done, why should we bother?! It upsets me to think how much money we spent there for our wedding day ( not to mention our family and friends on the day) and no one could be bothered to take 5mins out to look and reply! I was hoping to have meny more special events and days at the manor but I can't help feeling somewhere else might appreciate the money more!!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank MrsKStevens
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your comments following your wedding in September 2013, MrsKStevens. I was pleased to read that the team managed to make your day one to remember. I am sorry to hear that you discovered some items were missing, along with the copy of your wedding music, but on checking with the team I have been advised that, on two occasions, we have said to you that we do not have the items. I would like to assure you that all our events are taken as seriously as each other and I am sorry that you feel that your custom was not appreciated. I hope that you will return to The Manor, Elstree at some point in the future so that we can prove to you that this is the case.

Tel Aviv
Reviewed 22 April 2014

So different, and so much better, than the modern purpose designed hotel. This hotel has Character with a capital 'C'. What a beautiful building, and what beautiful grounds. And staff, every one of whom was so helpful. Plus a beautiful dining room with excellent food. One or two little caveats. The bedroom (in the modern wing) was a little on the small side - and the first room we were offered overlooked a road and the bins. On request we were moved across the corridor to a room with a fantastic view of the gardens and the main building. I would not recommend staying in rooms overlooking the road. Not too far into town and the railway station - either a £4 taxi ride or a twenty minute walk. We stayed for five days and I would have been happy to stay another five.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the gardens
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michael4321
Thank you for your recent review of The Manor, Elstree, michael4321. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the Hotel to be filled with character! Thank you for your feedback on the team and the food offered in The Cavendish Restaurant. It is good to hear that you enjoyed what we offer. I am pleased that we were able to move you to a more suitable room. Our Standard rooms do look out over the back of the Hotel but our Superior rooms and Suites all look out over the landscaped grounds and some rooms have the London skyline included as well. I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Manor, Elstree in the not so distant future.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our anniversary and instantly was upgraded to a feature room. I'm not sure if this was because some trouble at booking (wrong dates on email confirmation etc).
The room was beautifully decorated, excellent tea making facilities, beds very comfortable.

In our offer we got the dinner included, there was nobody else dining in the restaurant so atmosphere was lacking somewhat, we should have been offered to sit in the bar area instead.
Dinner was okay.
Had great tasty cocktails afterwards.
Breakfast also great, service a little slow but waitress done the best she could.
Had a great night sleep. Would definitely recommend this hotel to others but probably wouldn't rush to come back again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lulub66
Thank you for your recent review, Lulub66, after your stay at The Manor, Elstree. I am sorry that we got the initial information wrong on your reservation but am pleased that you enjoyed the upgrade and the facilities available in your room. All the bedrooms are individually designed by Laura Ashley and the furnishings are available to purchase from the company if you fancied replicating the look at home! I was disappointed to read that you felt the atmosphere was lacking in the dining room and that the food was just ok. I have recently appointed a new Head Chef and can assure you that all the menu’s are being revised at the moment and that there will be a noticeable change in what we are offering at the The Manor, Elstree. Our breakfast offering, and service, is also being reviewed. I hope that you will not discount staying at The Manor, Elstree again in the future to see the improvements that are being made.

London
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We wanted to find a lovely venue to hold my mothers 90th birthday and took an inpromptu trip to see this beautiful hotel. We met with the lovely events Manager who was extremely helpful. We decided to hire the small private dining room.
Over the next few weeks I had several email communications with the events manager with special requests ie certain sandwiches as one of our party was a fussy eater, an oval table - she even asked me if we wanted a cake stand and knife for the birthday cake I was bringing - all this was confirmed to me in writing - so far so good!
When we arrived (early) on the day, the private room was littered with crisps on the floor which I had to pick up myself, there was no cake stand and the table was so big (it must have been a conference table) that it made it almost impossible to move around the room. When the tea arrived it looked completely insignificant in the middle of this huge table almost to the point of looking stingy! and where were the sandwiches that I had requested? I had to ask for them as well as the cake stand. The sandwiches themselves were delicious however, the scones equally so, but the little cakes they provided were very unattractive and looked like they had come from Iceland. The tea was stewed and not very warm. i didnt want to make a fuss as my mother really enjoyed it.
After the tea my husband went to pay at reception - there was no itemised bill - just "its £££££ - a little unprofessional and a bad move on their part as I thought that it included service charge.
They really need to shake up their staff a LOT - there was obviously no communication between the staff as my requests were not carried out - such a shame because it could have been so much better.
On the positive side - we had a beautiful sunny afternoon - the room overlooked the garden and the hotel itself is very lovely.
I didnt receive any communication afterwards to see how we enjoyed the afternoon - surely they are interested in clients' feedback?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ElaineandPaulLondon
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for your review regarding the event you held in February of this year. As the new General Manager at The Manor, Elstree, I can only apologise for the team not meeting your expectations. I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of the food and accept your feedback on the individual cakes. As I have mentioned in a previous review, we are revising our Afternoon Tea product and hope to have this “rolled out” in the next couple of weeks. As a Hotel, we do value feedback and I am sure we would have been available to assist, on the day, if things weren’t to your satisfaction but I would like to apologise for the fact that no follow up call was made. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that you will not be put off returning to The Manor, Elstree at some point in the future.

Would be Spaniard
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Myself and some colleagues were booked in at short notice whilst working in Borhamwood last week. What a treat!! We were met by incredibly polite and friendly staff who couldn't have been more welcoming. Each of us had been allocated a room and all 25 of us were attended to swiftly and efficiently. The rooms were tastefully furnished with incredibly comfortable beds (very welcome to a tired and stressed workforce) and they also arranged a set menu with 3 choices of each course so that we could order and be fed promptly. Nothing seemed to much trouble for any of the staff I encountered and although we hadn't traveled with the intention of visiting such a lovely hotel, and therefore were dressed comparatively casually in some cases, we were treated with the utmost respect. I have since recommended this hotel to my son as a birthday surprise for his girlfriend which he booked yesterday - she will love it as much as I did. The view from the hotel balcony (just through the bar area) was beautiful and I envy my son's visit in June when the garden will be at it's best. The whole hotel presents elegance and quality. All of us slept peacefully - just one person had their sleep interrupted by noisy guests (not from our party) but a polite call to reception seemed to sort this out. The breakfast was superb - absolutely every need catered for: fruit, bakery, cereals, cooked, yogurts etc. etc. but all of the highest quality. I can't wait for another opportunity to visit again.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a garden view if possible
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Senora50
Thank you for your comments, Senora50, regarding your recent “unexpected stopover” at The Manor, Elstree. I am glad we were able to help with your last minute requirements and that everyone enjoyed their time, although brief, with us. I can only apologise for the interrupted nights sleep one of your party experienced but am glad that we were able to deal with the situation in an appropriate manner. Indeed, the view from the terrace is spectacular and takes in the London skyline, ideal for a glass, or two, of champagne in the evening before dinner. I look forward to welcoming your son in June and hope that you will get another chance to visit The Manor, Elstree in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Myself and my husband held our wedding reception here in November 2013.

The hotel was beautiful and the grounds were gorgeous. All of our guests commented on how perfect the hotel was, tucked away from the rest of Elstree. The private drive way to the hotel is very special even at night.

The co-ordinator was exceptionally helpful. She made sure that we had everything we wanted from our band to the casino table. Nothing seemed too much hassle which is just the attitude you want when you are planning such a big event.

I stayed in the Mayfair suite both on the night of our wedding but also the night before. The room is breathtaking. The Laura Ashley interior is superb and fresh.

Our wedding dinner food was amazing. I can honestly say I have never been to a wedding with better food (and that's the truth!!). The value was amazing and we are still receiving comments from our guests regarding the menu which was not the standard roast dinner.

My only issues were that the night before our wedding I had to try and sleep whilst Jedward (yes those two eegits) were bouncing around in the room above me. Further to that, when myself and my bridesmaids were getting ready, a member of staff was quite rude to me which wasn't the best way to start the day!! I put this down to language differences however and hope that no one else will have to go through the same experience.

I would advise anyone considering this hotel for their wedding to consider the pros as they, by far, outweigh the cons. James and Lauren really helped the process by being available and approachable.

I have read a few comments about there being no pool or gym facilities. Truthfully this doesn't affect the hotel. I could see a spa being in The Manor, but I don't think a pool nor a gym would fit the building. This hotel isn't for weeks away at a time, it's suited to short breaks so you don't need a gym really.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank annie d
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, annie d, after your wedding which was held last year at The Manor, Elstree. I was extremely pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your big day and that we delivered on every level. I am not sure what to say about Jedward, other than I am sorry they kept you awake, I hope we attempted to get them to quieten down for you. I have passed on your comments to Lauren regarding her assistance with the planning process and she is extremely pleased that you found her to be approachable and available when needed. We currently are considering plans to install a small gym area within the Hotel as we feel it would add value to our fitness conscious guests. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Manor, Elstree in the near future.

Iain Murray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elstree
Sopwell House
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel
Fanhams Hall Hotel
Premier Inn London Elstree / Borehamwood Hotel

Been to Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree? Share your experiences!