“Seriously over priced!!!”

Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elstree
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great venue, lovely room but i've stayed in much nicer hotels for £60-80 less.. The toilet had some fancy electronic thing on it which was interesting! The room was very pleasant and the bed very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for recent review, boatingwafi, after your stay at The Manor, Elstree.

I appreciate your comments about our pricing but I would like to assure you that the price is competitive in the local area for quality product we offer. There are Advance Purchase rates available which give you a discount and we will be offering competitive packages in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope it doesn’t deter you from returning to The Manor, Elstree in the future.

Iain Murray

Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Having bought a Living Social Voucher we booked the hotel for my husbands birthday on 17 May. I did call the hotel a few days before hand to see if there was an upgrade available as it was a special occasion. The response was "yes, for another £50".

On arrival we were allocated a lovely room on the top floor in the old building. No upgrade available. Even though the voucher stated free upgrade if available.

I joined my husband in the bar after unpacking and ordered a vodka and diet coke. I asked if the drink was a double as it was rather strong. The reply was "we only serve doubles". I have since found out from a previous review this isn't the case. Service on the terrace was very slow.

Included in our voucher was dinner. What a let down! Only 3 choices on the set menu for each course. Main meal was tasteless and hard vegetables. Wish I had of asked for the mint sauce now to give the lamb rump a bit of taste. Pudding was just a mass of cream and hardly any meringue or fruit. The head water asked how our meal was so we told him. His response was dismissive and he wasn't bothered at all. Once again service was poor. The tables were very close together, we might have well sat with another couple.

It was a very warm day/night during our stay and slept with the windows open and all we could hear was the traffic from the M1.

Breakfast was faultless. Tones of choice and good service.

On settling up our bill the receptionist asked how was our stay? So we told her. "I will pass your comments on to the GM, who I am sure will contact you". Contact was never made.

I am afraid our stay was a bit of a let down after we were so looking forward to a birthday treat.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Whiteorchids55

Thank you, Whiteorchids55, for your review after your recent stay at The Manor, Elstree.

I am sorry that we were unable to upgrade you when you came to stay with us. The offer you bought through Living Social states that a complimentary upgrade would be given if availability allowed it. On this particular night we were unable to accommodate this and I can only apologise if you were told you had to pay for an upgrade on making your reservation.

Our bar has changed to a doubles bar, single measures are available on request, and this is clearly stated in our price list. The offer you purchased includes dinner which is taken from our three course set menu. You were more than welcome to eat from the a la Carte menu, with small supplementary charges added to your final bill, but I am presuming you were not offered this and for that I am sorry.

The Hotel is situated near the M1 and I am sorry that the noise kept you awake but we do provide fans in the bedrooms to help with air circulation when you are sleeping as we do not have air conditioning due to the age of the building.

I would have hoped that you would have contacted me, directly, at the Hotel if you had not heard from me after leaving feedback at Reception. I am sorry that you felt the issues you experienced whilst you were with us spoilt your stay but I can assure you that your comments have been taken on board and that it doesn’t put you off considering returning to The Manor, Elstree in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I came to Elstree for business and it turned to be wonderful vacation.
The Laura Ashley Manor Hotel management and professional staff made it happen.
The hotel ambiance, design and details, gardens, beautiful surrounding, all that makes the Laura Ashley Manor hotel amazing.
Add the kind and lovely personal and the Restaurant and bar,
and one can know why my visit here became something to remember.
I recommend The Laura Ashley Manor Hotel for anyone who is looking for special, relaxing place near London and wants to have good value for his money.
- Link is to a video I made of the Manor and its surrounding:

Yours, Ami Shamir.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ami S

Thank you, Ami S, for your kind review after your stay with us at The Manor, Elstree.

I was especially pleased to read that your business trip turned in to a vacation and am glad that we were able to help this happen for you. Thank you for the short film you made of the Hotel whilst you were staying with us as well. I remember that you had just bought your camera and were giving it a test run!

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Manor, Elstree in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

On arrival the building looked stunning, which it is, inside was OK too. I was in a room in the new block which was OK however the carpet was stained, no wardrobe space and small. The bathroom was cheaply fitted, yes it was functional but not great for the money being payed.We were with a group of 20 people and noon was impressed and no of us would go back. The staff did not smile in the restaurant and service was slow. the food was not great. It was very impersonal and in such a smaller hotel the staff need to be more engaging with there guests.Nt a great experience so I hope they step up to the mark after reading this review.

Room Tip: I wish I could, I tried and failed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Imdsussex
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for your recent review, lmdsussex, after your stay at The Manor, Elstree.

I am sorry to read that you found your stay with us disappointing and with the limited information provided on your review I cannot ascertain when you stayed with us, which room you were in and when your party dined in The Cavendish Restaurant.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak to you about your experience and would ask that you contact me at the Hotel so that we can discuss your experience at The Manor, Elstree in more detail.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This hotel needs to be fair with it's paying guest . At no time do they tell you, you will not be getting anything other than a 17th century manor house and that is not what we got . This hotel need's to be fairer in it's description of the accommodation that it is offering. All the rooms not just their best rooms . very disappointed in the travel lodge in the back garden.
Staff where first glass, food was very good and the manor it's self is very good , but that's not what we got , you let yourself down ........

Room Tip: Watch out for the rooms out the back .!!!!!!!!!!!! not even in the manor ..........
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ADAM B
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for your review, AdamB, after you recent stay at the Hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you felt the bedroom you were allocated was “poor”. Without more information as to when you stayed, and in which room, I am unable to comment on the room you were allocated. We have 49 individually designed bedrooms – 16 in the main house and 33 in the new building. The rooms in the new building are classed as Standard and Superior and are more uniform in size but still boast the unique Laura Ashley design. The rooms in the main house are different shapes and sizes, due to the age of the building, and as a result are generally larger. Photographs are available on our website showing examples of all our room categories and the descriptions clearly state which rooms are in the main house and which aren’t.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the other elements of your stay and can only assure you that if we were made aware of your dissatisfaction with your allocated room we would have done our utmost to find you an alternative.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Probably the nicest hotel my partner and I have stayed in. Loved the decoration. Lovely grounds which we had a great view of out of our window. Food although expensive was very nice. Only problem we weren't told what time breakfast was when we checked in and it doesn't say in the manual in the room so we had to ring reception. Would definitely return. Short drive to tube station, easy to get to wembley.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments, 1234beefy, after your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you feel the Hotel is one the nicest properties you have stayed in I certainly feel it is one of the nicest properties to work in! I am sorry, however, that you were not told about breakfast times and hope that you didn’t miss out. In-room directories are currently being worked on so this sort of oversight will not happen again.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we will see you again at The Manor, Elstree in the not so distant future

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel on a Living Social deal which provided excellent value for dinner bed-and-breakfast in a Deluxe room. It also provided for a complimentary upgrade if a room was available. I telephoned the hotel beforehand just to make sure that the booking had been noted, as this was our anniversary and requested an upgrade if this was available.

When we arrived at the hotel an upgrade was provided, without even having to ask, to a beautifully decorated, superbly furnished and spacious Junior Suite. Clearly the reception staff had "listened" to our conversation as we also had an anniversary card and a complimentary bottle of champagne, from the General Manager Iain Murray.

We made a reservation for dinner for 8 pm and although we were a little early this was no problem and we were promptly seated. My wife had the satay chicken to start and I had the poached king prawn broth, both from the Malaysian menu which were excellent. My wife had the baked cod from the a la carte menu, which was excellent and I had the chicken curry from the Malaysian menu which was good but it would be fair to say that I have had better. Didn't need any "pudding" as we were both full up!

Breakfast the next morning was also excellent with all the usual cold and hot selections with nothing that you might comment should actually have been provided. (I am a fried potato man for breakfast and, would normally have asked the night before but my cholesterol problem is not allowing me to enjoy this at the moment!) The staff were all very pleasant and attentive and I did not in any way come across a situation where plates were not cleared without having to ask the staff.

One small comment is that I am a "hotplate man" and feel that the plates for the hot selection should always somehow be warmed up to keep the food hot once it is put on the plate. This is however a minor issue.

We would definitely go back again and, would recommend this to all our friends, as the hotel is in superb grounds and the overall stay was excellent. This is the type of place which you would not know was there as, although it has great links to London, it was the type of place where you go and enjoy the ambience, service and quality of such a nice experience.

As a side issue, which has nothing to do with the stay itself, my wife who is a Laura Ashley "Addict" and, makes quality handmade curtains, was in her element seeing the different designs and how they were put together in the various rooms at the hotel!

Iain congratulations to you and all of your staff who made our stay very memorable.

Many thanks
David Penn

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review, HonestDavid, after your recent stay with us at The Manor, Elstree.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the Hotel to be beautifully decorated and superbly furnished. I am also glad that you enjoyed the Champagne – you need to celebrate Wedding Anniversaries after all! It is good to hear that you enjoyed the food and your comments about the Malaysian menu have been take on board and we are trying our best to ensure that this food matches our a la Carte menu standards. Breakfast is something we have been working on over the last couple of months and I am pleased you enjoyed the selection we provide for hot and cold options but do also take on board your comments regarding hot plates. This is something I need to consider for the future.

With 49 individually designed bedrooms, The Manor, Elstree is definitely a Laura Ashley “addict’s” idea of heaven which adds to the overall feel and décor of the Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not so distant future.

Iain Murray

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elstree
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Village Hotel London Watford
Fanhams Hall Hotel

Been to Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree? Share your experiences!