“Nice Lunch!”

The East
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Had a wonderful set-menu lunch in the sunshine. The service was excellent, the food tasty and the portions big enough to justify the £5 per meal set price.

OK, so service is added to the drinks (like in most restaurants) but for a very pleasent meal for my wife and i for £16.40 we were very happy.

There are newer reviews for The East

Reviewed 31 August 2011

The reviews on here seem not to be the same place I visited.
Food was good staff freindly and very helpful to disabled customers

1  Thank Philkeating
Reviewed 20 August 2011

States good quality at takeaway prices.
Had set meal which was overpriced.
Duck was more than crispy - more cremated.
Strange mix of dishes.
Poor quantity.
Sickness kicked in 4 hours later. Which may not be related but what a coincidence.
Never again.

3  Thank LoulouStAlbans
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I have to say I would prefer to go to McDonalds than this place...The ingredients they used were so bad, I couldn't believe it. STAY AWAY FROM THE EAST. We had the £5 menu, which is obviously cheap, but for £5 you eat in much better places. Oh I suppose the rice was ok. I will never go back to this place ever again.

3  Thank jwd_111
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Ordered a cheap take away a couple of months ago. We had just moved to the area and saw the restaurant on the hill.

The food arrived after 1 hour and 20 mins, having been told 30 mins on the phone, Every time we called they said the driver was on his way and would be 5 minutes.

When it finally arrived the driver was rude, not apologetic and said that he had been stopped by the police. The food was of course cold and tasteless.

The portions were terrible and the sauces were thin and not rich like other chinese restaurants. When ordering any meat dish i expect there to be moe than 4 pieces in a chicken curry. Majority was vegetables.

We called up straight away and complained. They offered us a £30 meal, whenever we liked. I called last week, apprehensive from the first time, but fancied a free chinese.

No records of any problems were found - The "manager" had no power and its up to the owner!! He very kindly said if i buy food then he can offer me 30% discount. Why would i spend money if im owed a £30 meal??

I complained and he said he could do nothing but speak to the owner on Monday and call me as soon as he had resolved the issue. I heard nothing and as a result called tonite. There was no progress and he was just a rude and stubborn with no mention of the recorded complaint from a couple of months ago.

STAY AWAY OR ORDER FROM ELSEWHERE - EXPENSIVE, CHEAP TASTING AND POOR SERVICE!!!

2  Thank LCJ86