“DSS and Asylum Seekers”
Review of Holtwhites Hotel

Holtwhites Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Enfield
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Was booked in here by a company. On arrival told that the price does not include breakfast and no breakfasts are served. The answer to "Where can I get breakfast?" was simple: "Elsewhere!".

Difficult stairs and corridors to negotiate with cases - no lifts.

My bedroom was clean and newly decorated, and the bathroom had recently been refurbished. However there were some alarming arguments coming from some rooms, and I was woken by a row in the middle of the night.

At £70 per night (without breakfast) this seemed a lot of money. I would only use this again if I was faced with absoultely no alternative.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank HenryStanley
Holtwhites H, Duty Manager at Holtwhites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2015

Dear Sir /Madam,
The hotel and staff would like to thank you for providing feedback on your stay. We do not advertise breakfast, we do however have excellent business relations with the local eateries and the local “Artisan Bakery” or “Chefs Kitchen” are delicious to eat at and staff do try to point out their favorite places to eat. We are sorry you had trouble with the stairs and corridor albeit we do have a standard 22 step staircase, we were happy to have carried the baggage for you as part of our service. We do not arrange, organize or hear domestic arguments happening, however if mentioned on the night we would have stopped it from continuing. We would like to continue by thanking you for your stay and to acknowledge the changes we have made we would like to invite you for another stay and guarantee a changed atmosphere. Koz

Reviewed 11 March 2012

We were in Enfield to celebrate a friend's 60th birthday, and he booked a number of rooms for family and friends to stay over on the Saturday night. The place is shabby and smelly; the only staff we encountered seemed to be eastern Europeans.
Ours cost £60 for bed only – no breakfast – which is dear for a place like Enfield, and the water in the shower and in the handbasin were scalding hot (no cold water at all), so not even the chance of a wash for our £60. Reception's attitude was completely unconcerned (they take your money as you check in, so they don't care) – the man said: "Oh, the thermostat's gone again. If you had told us sooner we could have given you another room." The total nonsense of this was just so maddening, I mean how can we know before we need the shower that we couldn't have one? Do yourself a favour and don't go there.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank ChrisCourchelle

Dear Sir /Madam,
the hotel and staff would like to thank you for taking time to provide a feedback on your stay. We do apologise if your stay did not meet our usual high standard. Shower mechanisms do sometimes break, however we are proud of our onsite maintenance team who would have repaired it fast if the problem was reported or as the reception staff mentioned you could have upgraded you to another room. We hope that in despite of all you’ll give us the opportunity to change this experience into a better one if you choose to stay with us again. Please contact me directly on reservations@holtwhites.com. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to our improved hotel! Koz

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Not sure if this place can really be called a hotel as they have no restaurant. They also have smoking rooms, suspect this is not legal. they also seem to have lots of residents so more of a boarding house really.

When you book on the website you seem to end up paying maximum rate - rates shown her are incorrect - We paid £70 a night. Website seems not to include room rates so you don't know you are a mug til you get there. Sky is in all rooms but in mine I could not watch anything for two reasons. Firstly the tiny tv was nailed to the wall and bed viewing angle meant you couldn't view the picture very well. Secondly, the reception was dreadful so you couldn't easily determine which channel was which for really watch them. In my room there were odd stains on the wall behind my bed... radiator was rusting away and I banged my head badly on attic roof beam in bathroom. Avoid room 23. On the plus side there are good restaurants nearby and the cafe over the road is very good.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank ShreeWee
Holtwhites H, Manager at Holtwhites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2015

Dear Sir /Madam,
the hotel and staff would like to thank you for taking some time to provide a feedback on your stay. We are sorry to hear that your stay did not meet our usual high standard. I appreciate your comments about the aspect of the room and I am happy to tell you that there have been some upgrades done; we have refurbished and redecorate most of the rooms. There have been a number of smoking rooms, but now after us decorating them we keep them as non-smoking rooms. In terms of the TV, I am sure that, if notified, our in house maintenance team would have resolved the situation. There are rooms in the hotel that are smaller size and are located in the attic. Please feel free to ask to see the room prior your next stay if you choose to stay with us again to ensure you have the room that best describes your needs as we like you and every guest to have a great experience on every visit. Please contact me directly at reservations@holtwhites.com if you would be willing to come and stay with us again. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back. With much appreciation, Ioana Baciu

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Hotel is very basic, seems to be used by tradesmen. Staff did not ask if we had a pleaseant stay...they acted like they couldn't care less.
The room was okish fairly clean....windows were dirty and the carpet could doi with a deep clean.
Cheap and cheerful with no frills.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MIKE B
Holtwhites H, Manager at Holtwhites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2015

Dear Sir / Madam

The Hotel and staff would like to thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay. I apologise that your stay did not meet our usual high standard. I am happy to inform you that the hotel has now changed completely and there are newly refurbished and decorated rooms, new carpet, new chairs and much more! The good news is that our investments continue and soon will have a new lounge area where guests can serve breakfast in the morning and relax at the same time. We pride ourselves on the customer service we provide our customers as you can hopefully see from other guests comments, therefore am disappointed that we have given you an impression that we do not care which could not be further from the truth. I hope that I can convince you to change your mind about another visit to our property. Please reach out to me directly at reservations@holtwhites.com if you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to our improved hotel!
Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 December 2011

Stayed at this hotel twice before and every time it exceeds my expectations. If you are looking for a 5 star luxury hotel this is not the place for you. However for me and my family this hotel is ideally situated been only half an hour from central London by rail. (Enfield- London Liverpool Street) the staff are friendly and very accommadating. It is well priced and the rooms are clean, spacious and well appointed. They have been recently refurbished and I cannot falut them. They have everything that you could want. We will be back :)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PerfectSpurs
Holtwhites H, Manager at Holtwhites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2015

Dear Sir / Madam
The Hotel and staff would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I am happy to find that your stay in our hotel was a good one and we will be happy to see you again soon. Sincerely, Ioana Baciu

Reviewed 13 December 2011

After reading some of the reviews I was very concerned about the quality of this hotel, particulary the fact that all rooms were said to be smoking. When I arrived the hotel was being decorated and I had a refreshed non smoking room. The room was clean and functional. For the cost £55 I really cannot complain. Plenty of stations near so great location if you need to get into town..

Room Tip: Ignore website, they do have non smoking rooms
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank KJH1234_11

Dear Sir / Madam,

The Hotel and staff would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I am happy to find that your stay in our hotel was a good one and we will be happy to see you again soon. Just to confirm, all rooms are non-smoking.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

I enjoyed my second stay at the holtwhites found that all the rooms have been refurbished and all common parts been redone
Found all staff friendly and would definitely stay again

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank sav26

Dear Sav,

Ioana Baciu (Hotel Manager)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
Royal Chace Hotel
West Lodge Park Hotel
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne

Been to Holtwhites Hotel? Share your experiences!