“very good value for money”
Review of Holtwhites Hotel

Holtwhites Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Enfield
London, United Kingdom
“very good value for money”
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay ,the staff were very helpful we found the location convenient
our room was clean and tidy we would stay there again

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lucas_lampetis
Holtwhites H, Manager at Holtwhites Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2015
Dear Sir / Madam,

The Hotel and staff would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I am happy to find that your stay in our hotel was a good one and we will be happy to see you again soon.
Ioana Baciu (Hotel Manager)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2010

A 1 night stay in a double room for £65. I normally expect somewhere clean, comfortable and well appointed for this sort of money and have had stayed in some surprisingly good places for a lot less.

Holtwhites Hotel was truly disgusting. On paying my £65 at reception I was given the keys to room 14. The carpet on the stairs was threadbare and the smell of stale smoke was overpowering as I made my way up the stairs to the first floor. Room 14 was pure evil! Wallpaper was peeling off the wall, the carpet was probably circa 1970 and looked like it had been cleaned infrequently since then. A fist imprint was in the wall over the headboard! Another fist imprint was in the door of the bathroom. The bathroom suite was orange and filthy. There was a 2p piece at the bottom of the toilet, presumably the price the last guest had put on the real value of their visit. The advertised Sky Tv was available, but you needed to ignore the snow effect on the picture. I couldn't even contemplate staying in the room for any length of time, let alone sleep in there.

I complained to the person on reception and was changed to room 32, which was certainly a lot better than room 14, but still the worst hotel room that I have ever stayed in by quite some margin (and that includes many rooms where the price has been a lot less than £65 per night). The extra blanket was the itchy kind guaranteed to avoid comfort. I preferred not to bath or shower than use the facilities in this hotel, as that actually seemed the cleaner option.

For the 1 night that I needed to be in Enfield, I stayed out in the town as long as I could, in coffee shops and bars to minimise the amount of time I had to stay in this disgusting place.

I'm writing this review to try and help others avoid the awful experience that I had the misfortune to have at Holtwhites Hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
8 Thank BrockLanders
Dear Sir / Madam

The Hotel and staff would like to thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay. I apologise that your stay did not meet our usual high standard. I am happy to inform you that the hotel has now changed completely and there are newly refurbished and decorated rooms, new carpet, new chairs and much more! There have been a number of smoking rooms, but now we have been decorating them and keep them as non-smoking rooms. I am really sorry that it was exactly that day when the boiler broke down, but I can guarantee that we are doing our best to satisfy every guests needs.
Kind regards,
Ioana Baciu (Hotel Manager)

Travellers are raving about these Enfield hotels

plymouth
Reviewed 26 May 2010

I cant understand how people can write anything good about this hotel, I only stayed one night and that was too long. The place stinks, the room i had was shabby and dirty so bad i didnt even sleep in the bed. Staff didnt seem to have a clue when i mentioned it not even a sorry. My advice is dont book this hotel, stay away i will never make this mistake again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank mabs60
Dear Sir / Madam

Breakfast in the morning and relax at the same time.
Kind regards,Ioana Baciu
Ireland
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Having stayed in this hotel last year we decided to stay again. Our last stay here was impeccable and I was not disappointed this time either. The hotel has recently been refurbished and we were given the same room as we stayed in previously, our room was redecorated and it was very nice. The hotel is ideally located for our trip as we have family in enfield and there are all the facilites you require within a short distance of the hotel. The staff are warm and welcoming and could not be any more helpful. We will defintely be returning again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank PerfectSpurs
Holtwhites H, Manager at Holtwhites Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2015
Dear Sir / Madam,

Sincerely, Ioana Baciu
London
Reviewed 26 November 2009

i have come to Enfield with my friend and we have styed at this hotel and had a great time. clean rooms, very helpfull staff, kind and always with a smile. and because there are special rates for the weekend we paid for 2 nights but stayed 3. really cheap hotel...
I will come back soon...Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank ioana782002
Sincerely, Ioana Baciu
London
Reviewed 2 October 2009

I am so angry it is hard for me to write this review... The pictures are all lies, this place is so smelly, dirty, unhigyienic, I urge anyone even planning on a one night stay to book anywhere else but here.

The rooms were so outdated and am positive the mattresses, curtains and blankets were full of mothballs. Cigarette smell lingeres throughout, carpet definately not cleaned in decades unless the cleaner was blind, water was a luke warm (at best) drissle, staff on another planet (looked like they were all on drugs hardcore).
To be honest we had a feeling this place was being used for drug trafficking or prostituting-dodgy staff and from time to time dodgy people hanging about.
We politely asked for some kind of discount considering the day we most needed showers (bridesmaid to a wedding!) we had zero hot water and the heaters were on full-blast all night with no possibility of opening windows, so ahd hardly any sleep. Oh also beds were so uncomfortable and blankets stank and stuck to your body. Eeeeeeeeeeew it makes me sick thinking about this time.... We boiled to death in this stinky terrible room. We decided it was so bad we cut our stay short and absolutely no apology or emotopn given by staff.
We were highly disapoointed, as Enfield is a lovely area and from the outside it doesnt seem so bad.
Stay away, esp for children, dont put them in such an environment.

• Stayed May 2008
4 Thank RubyKay
Dear Sir / Madam

The Hotel and staff would like to thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay. I apologise that your stay did not meet our usual high standard. I am happy to inform you that the hotel has now changed completely and there are newly refurbished and decorated rooms, new carpet, new chairs and much more! We apologise for the problem you had with the water in your bathroom.
There are a number of worrying comments that I need to comment on. The sheets are cleaned daily by a professional laundering company off-site, we are unaware of any room where the window is able to be opened. Also all rooms are fitted with radiator valves so that the heating can be adjusted to the requirement of the guest. The water pressure can sometimes have an issue if there are numerous users at the same time, however, we hope to have a technical solution to remedy this very soon.
Windsor
Reviewed 18 May 2009

My girlfriend an I stayed at this hotel for one night. The whole of the 1st floor smelt of stale smoke and so did the room. We had to be moved to another level which was fresher but very noisy. Staff were friendly but I would not visit again. Not sure what kind of places the people who have rated 5* have stayed in before???

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ontheningnangnong
Dear Sir,

The Hotel and staff would like to thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay. I apologise that your stay did not meet our usual high standard. I greatly appreciate your comments about aspects of the room and I am happy to inform you that the hotel has now changed completely and there are newly refurbished and decorated rooms, new carpet, new chairs and much more! The good news is that our investments continue and soon will have a new lounge area where guests can serve breakfast in the morning and relax at the same time. The Hotel is now completely I hope that I can convince you to change your mind about another visit to our property. Please reach out to me directly at reservations@holtwhites.com if you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to our improved hotel!
With much appreciation,
Ioana Baciu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
Royal Chace Hotel
#5 of 5 in Enfield
De Vere Theobalds Estate
West Lodge Park Hotel
Premier Inn London Edmonton Hotel

Been to Holtwhites Hotel? Share your experiences!