“Poor and unorganised”
Review of Royal Chace Hotel

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Enfield
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed here last week for one night and I was delighted to check out. The room was comfortable but basic with an heating system that could not be adjusted. The food in the restaurant was not even 2 star quality and overpriced. I asked for a medium steak and got a frazzled piece of meat that was tasteless and bland.

The service was extremely poor and they did not care that the food was hardly touched and not interested in my complaint.

Will never stay here again and would advise others to think again before been duped by an overrated poorly managed establishment

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Y0rkie39
GeoffBreese, Managing Director at Royal Chace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Royal Chace Hotel.

With the greatest of respect I don't know anyone who upon discovering the steak they have ordered is not cooked how they expected doesn't send it back immediately?

It is even more remarkable that you feel ,"duped" because of this it leads me to believe you still paid for the meal without bringing it to anyone's attention.

Your method of writing a poor review afterwards without giving us an opportunity to put right at the time is outdated.

I was pleased to read your bedroom was comfortable.

There are newer reviews for Royal Chace Hotel

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed overnight In April 2014, room 130 on the ground floor. Very compact room with a small window so it was very dark. The bathroom was even more compact - you have to put the toilet seat down to find the flusher! The bathroom had a terrible smell of damp/drains which filled the bedroom, it was awful. I told the reception staff about it and they offered to move us. They also promised to sort out that terrible smell before they let the room again, so hopefully they did. Some of the bar staff were very abrupt and lacked customer service skills. However, a different story in the restaurant, they were amazing and so was the food! Breakfast was a very busy affair but it was pleasant and food was hot and plentiful. Not a cheap price and was let down by the accommodation and some staff attitude.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GeoffBreese, Managing Director at Royal Chace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for your review following your stay at the Royal Chace Hotel.

I was pleased that Reception responded to your room move however I must confess after making enquiries with our Maintenance department I have no idea what the smell was and have not experienced any reoccurrence of it.

It is worth mentioning that one of the Directors interviews all staff at some point before they are employed during our recruitment and selection process and I am most surprised to read about staff attitude when,"friendly staff "is recorded many times on Trip adviser.

In addition to this everyone wears a name badge so a note of whoever is was you are referring to would have helped.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Partner and I stayed for 1 night so we could spend some time together alone. I have to say drive to hotel was nice, just off M25, drive down a scenic road. Upon arriving surprised by the look - it has character, clearly see it is an old existing building with new extensions.
Ithe surrounding area was quite except for the cars but I don't think it is much of a bother.
Reception (Checking In) was quick and easy. The decor was nice not overly modern or too old fashion - welcoming and clean!
Did read reviews before booking and I agree Standard Double room was smaller than expected but not a major issue as it was pleasant and again clean room! If you do have big bags/Suitcases it may cause an issue as there isn't enough area you can slot them in, though there was a double wardrobe.
Our standard room had a good size Bathroom with a shower (no bath) again clean all additional items were there ie shower gels / towels etc
Bar area (opposite reception) the staff were friendly and polite. Drink prices average nothing shocking. Bar snacks good selection, again average priced.
In house restaurant - Food was nicely presented and cooked - tasted lovely. Partner had steak and was cooked perfectly with good selection of veg. I had a pasta very nice and a lot to get through.
Breakfast - £15 per person. We had our breakfast in our room there is a £5 surcharge for each person included or you order food and come down to collect (which I noticed many couples did this) Initially I thought that is expensive and compared it to other hotels where charges are £1.50-£2.50. We placed out breakfast order and they did ring to confirm the charge and whether we wanted to collect. I was happy to pay an additional £10, because it saved us going down to collect to bring up and because it is not something we do everyday. In addition it did require 2 people as the hotel does not have lifts!
All in all a nice hotel, decor is pleasant, staff friendly, parking free

Room Tip: We were on the back over looking the pavilion and hotel ground very quiet and peaceful
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 1 night a week ago. The hotel is lovely and in a nice setting. The food was great and the breakfast was very good also. My only criticism would be the double bedroom was very small

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GeoffBreese, MANAGING DIRECTOR at Royal Chace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Royal Chace Hotel on Tripadviser.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Myself,husband and 14 other family members stayed at this hotel 28th February til 3 march.

We had flown in from Ireland and our other family members flew/drove from Scotland and other parts of London .On Our first day there as there was so many of us to cater for the day manager Michael had suggested that we put some of the tables together to accommodate our large group so we would not have to sit separately,this was much appreciated as we had more family coming to meet up with us later on in the evening. All was fine until the night manager Dennis came on duty and he seemed quite put out that the "furniture" had been moved and wanted to know why we moved it when we explained it was done so and suggested by the day manager he was not impressed at all. Later on in the evening he told us that we could not pay cash at the bar anymore but would have to charge it to our rooms and take the drink there to consume,much to our amazement. He had 30 people spending money and still decided to close the bar,a bar that I was told was opened 24h when I rang to make some enquiries before leaving home. He was extremely rude and not customer friendly whatsoever!! In my opinion it there is 30 people spending money then it's in the hotels best interests to keep the bar open.

On the Saturday night we had a family party to attend,after the party we headed back to he hotel with our group only for my husband and brother to be met by Dennis POINTING his finger in my husbands face saying that "before you all start there will be no moving of any furniture in here tonight(didn't realise moving a few tables could upset someone so much) and that and I quote "your not in an Irish bar now!" How dare he pigeon hole and stereotype people. He works in a hotel that should be accepting of every nationality. When I took his name down he decided to give out a free drink and some packets of crisps thinking that this would suffice. We were totally disgusted with this service. He seemed to want to do his nightshift with minimal work to do. Just sit and read his paper.

We found the rest of the staff to be polite and the food was good. But unfortunately for us Dennis put a BIG cloud over our visit to London and we would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone nor stay here again.

I have out our complaint on writing to the head of Royal Chace Hotel a Mr Geoff [--] but he seems about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I have emailed and the response I got seems to favour his employee Dennis. I then emailed to follow up on our complaint and just got an abrupt response that he was on holiday ,I then emailed again asking who took over his duties while he was away and am still awaiting a response.

This is not the type of customer care that I would be used to,especially from a supposedly 4 star hotel . We were we'll behaved guests, who expected to be treated accordingly but alas we were most definitely not. I would have given this review only one out of five only for the other staff.

Steer clear of this hotel if you value your well earned break and would like to be treated with respect and courtesy.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Lovetotravel1511
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is only a 15 minute walk away from the nearest train station which gets you into Central London in 25 minutes.

It's also really close to the motorway and has free parking so it's the perfect place for a London trip without all the hassle. You can drive there, park and then go into London first thing each day.

The hotel itself is a little tired and dated and didn't seem to live up to 4 stars. Everything was clean though and there was nothing we would have complained about.

It's a shame the breakfast is so expensive because we would have liked to have had breakfast at the hotel but for £10 for a continental breakfast and £25 for a hot breakfast we though this was far too expensive.

We would stay again, it's really convenient and not a bad hotel at all.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GeoffBreese, Managing Director at Royal Chace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

The first two paragraphs of your review Great easy to find location, Free parking, Tube 15 minutes walk and Central London 25 minutes is a terrific advert for the benefits of staying at the Royal Chace Hotel.

Arsenal's Emirates stadium is an even closer tube ride.

May I correct an error regarding breakfast, we charge £15.00 for full English and every bedroom has a maintenance report card therefore should there be something you feel we have overlooked then completing one of them would be helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to review the Royal Chace on Trip Adviser.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Room rather small and so were the food portions!!!
Not once was I asked how my meal was, if I had of been asked, I would have ordered some bread to mop up the sauce in my linguine dish and make it a little more filling, but alas, no-one bothered.
Certainly don't get the 'royal' service here, despite it's name!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review on Trip Adviser.

I feel you should have passed on your comment at the time as it gives us a opportunity to deal with any issues as our overall objective is to make you happy but I do thank you once again for the feedback.

Kind regards

Royal Chace Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
West Lodge Park Hotel
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne
Premier Inn London Enfield Hotel

Been to Royal Chace Hotel? Share your experiences!