“Touching and removing personal items”
Review of Royal Chace Hotel

Royal Chace Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Enfield
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Me and my husband stayed there on our wedding night 16th august 2014, it was going good till we got woken up by the chambermaid coming into our room,even though we put the sign saying do not disturb on the door.Then we went out for the day,came back to find stuff missing and they been down my overnight bag and when we spoke to the management they did not want to know, we find this absolutely disgraceful we will never go back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank toffees-wife14

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I attended a wedding reception here on August 9th. The hotel is easy to find and has a very pleasant look to it there is ample parking. All the guests were warmly greeted with a chilled fresh orange juice or a Buck's Fizz or champagne. There is a very comfortable bar area with comfy seating and doors leading out to lovely gardens and the swimming pool.
Once everyone had arrived the curtains were drawn back to reveal the reception area which had been laid out beautifully with circular tables, crisp white table linen and covered chairs with organza bows.
The waiting staff were very efficient and plesent and nothing was too much trouble for them. The meal was absolutely delicious and cooked perfectly.
The whole reception was very well organised by the hotel and I would recommend highly to anyone looking for a venue to consider The Royal Chace.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Hi Joshua,

We both would like to Thank You and the rest of the staff for looking after us and our guests on our big day.
Everyone had a wonderful day from start to finish. Food,venue,rooms.
Especially our room Four Poster Premier Room-Excellent!!!

Please can you pass on our message of Thanks to the following indviduals:
Andy wedding banqueting manager,Nathan- catering staff and the rest of the team they were great. Sam at front of house.

All the very best to you all

P.s we will be checking in again soon.

Room Tip: Four poster premier room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

First of all, let me state that I have spoken with the front desk manager about my dissatisfaction concerning several aspects of the hotel.

The reply I received is as follows:-

"Dear Mr Morgan,

Thank you again for your time earlier today to explain the issues you experienced during your stay at the Royal Chace Hotel.

I have noted all your comments and will pass them on to the relevant department Managers so that we can act on theses issues. Feed back is most important for us.

As I mentioned if you are returning to the area please email directly and I will be more than happy to make your reservations.

Kind Regards

Nikki Vincent
Front of House Manager"

Having said that, I told Nikki that I had complained to the receptionist on each of three days that the bedroom was too hot (we have had some very hot weather) and that there was no possibility to cool down the room. This meant that my wife and me lost sleep. As I was conducting a high level intensive training programme at a nearby venue the loss of sleep was a problem for me. The very small fan that the hotel management had placed in the bedroom before our arrival was absolutely no good as a device to cool down the room.

Five the the learners on the course also complained to me that they had been unable to sleep because their bedrooms were hot and humid. Nikki explained to me that the rooms do not have air conditioning - I knew that. The amusing thing for me and the learners is that I was under subcontract to provide the training programme by a large global firm that makes and sells air conditioning and ventilation equipment.

At breakfast on each day, I wanted to take a continental breakfast. There were no cold meats on the first day and no cheese or fruit yoghurts on the third day, and each day the bread rolls had to be ordered. I had to wait for them to be prepared on each occasion. The reason I wanted a continental breakfast was because I wanted a quick meal.

On day 3 the service at breakfast was abysmally slow, indeed it was non-existent until I complained to the serving staff. When I complained the response I received in the restaurant was, "Well it is still early in the day and we are all sleeping." Can you believe it? I responded that this was like a scene from Fawlty Towers. It raised a laugh but the level service did not improve noticeably.

My wife used the outdoor pool on each day, where she liked to read a novel. On day three she found it necessary to leave the pool as the gardner was working nearby to her and he suggested that it would be better for her to move until he had finished work. I understand that he was entirely proper, and polite. I have no compliant about him or his request.

However, as the poolside area is quite restricted, there was nowhere else for my wife to sit, and being dressed for the pool she had to return to the room, which as I have explained previously was hot and poorly ventilated.

My final complaint concerned the substantial wooden laths that delineate the car parking spaces. On the second evening whilst parking my car, the back nearside wheel ended up sitting on the lath. That caused the front of the lath to raise at an angle, and it became stuck under the chassis of my car. Had my wife not noticed this, I believe that this would have caused damage to the car, had I tried to reverse from the parking space. Fortunately, I managed to dislodge the lath without causing a problem for the car.

On a final note, and not really a matter of complaint, there are no cask ales on the bar and the drinks are rather over-priced in comparison to the neighbouring Robin Hoof Inn (half a mile towards Potters Bar), which offers a good range of reasonably priced cask ales, wines and a good menu.

I was grateful to Nikki Vincent for noting my complaints, but as I told her, the level of service was not what I expect from a four star hotel. And as I have indicated there were times three or four times throughout the three days of our stay when Basil Fawlty came to mind. I did wonder when he would appear, especially when I was having breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the room first
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank GwynRoberts
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My wedding took place on 31st May in this lovely hotel. The service received from Joshua the wedding planner and the rest of the team at the hotel was excellent and I would recommend them to anyone thinking of getting married in Enfield. My husband and I had an amazing day and our friends and family who stayed overnight at the hotel were all very happy too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here recently over a weekend, and have to say how disappointed we both were. Our room was dated and old, the bed not that comfy. The hotel obviously had a function on (a wedding I think) which meant lots of noise and drunken people until the early hours of the morning, which meant a good nights sleep was not had. Breakfast was ok, up until my wife asked for a latte coffee, and were told that we would have to pay £2.25, which we did. Have never ever been charged for a latte anywhere we've stayed in the world, and I think we are quite well travelled.
Overall our stay was not that good, we will NOT be returning, and would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking function room or courtyard can be noisy at weekends if there is a function on.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NickyboyLondon
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Room was very clean and roomy.

Asked for a room with a view and got it. Was looked after all the way through our 2 night stay. Only problem was the kitchen. They got confused with sides and mains and thought the side was a main. Then the sticky toffee pudding with popping ice cream wasn't popping. Shame I was looking forward to that.

Apart from that the staff are fantastic and even addressed the above being professional all the way through.

Thanks everyone

Room Tip: Stayed in room 241
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
GeoffBreese, Managing Director at Royal Chace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Royal Chace Hotel on Trip adviser.

I have passed on your comments to Duncan the Executive Head Chef and I am sure he will resolve the front of house mix up and the lack of popping candy.

I was pleased to read however that the matter was dealt with swiftly and in a professional manor.

Thank you once again.

Geoffrey Breese
Managing Director
Royal Chace Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
West Lodge Park Hotel
5 mi away
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne

Been to Royal Chace Hotel? Share your experiences!