“Decent Italian cuisine”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Not a great deal to say, apart from the service is good, the food eminently passable. A huge menu. I defy anyone not to find things they like. All served very quickly and perfectly cooked.
Why not 5? My father-in-law booked a table for 3 and when he changed it to a table for 5, he was told his booking wasn't there!!? But, booked we wee, but only on the proviso we were gone by 9pm from our 7pm table!! I don't like that, albeit I understand it. Serve us quickly, don't put us on a time limit though.

2  Thank Paul S

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This is one of the best Italian restaurants we have been to. amazing food and great service!! def def def go again!!!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

On the face of it this should be a very nice restaurant. The food, on the whole, is good, and the prices are reasonable for where and what it is. But we had a poor experience on 1st February 2014. We were trying to get through the front door, the ladies hesitated and the waiter by the door became very animated. The restaurant, seemingly like all restaurants these days, is very noisy. The service was exceedingly prompt – I assume they wanted to turn the tables round and could, it being a busy Saturday night. The starters were no sooner ordered than delivered. I ordered sardines – I got 2. I rather think they were deep fat fried as they were very crisp but, none the less, pleasant. Within a few minutes our mains arrived. Two of us ordered lamb shanks. Hers was exactly as it should be, falling of the bone. Mine was undercooked. I sent it back, expecting to receive a replacement but no, no way would they give me another. In the end I settled for lamb cutlets which did not arrive promptly so sate alone with 3 onlookers. We left without dessert, coffee or tip. Never again - other restaurants are available.

1  Thank paulw1066
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This restaurant may look like its namesake in whetstone, but unfortunately the similarities end there. Alfresco cockfosters is a disorganised, nightmare of a restaurant. The extremely slow service coupled with dry, overcooked food is something I never want to experience again. Avoid!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were a party of 12 celebrating a birthday.

The set menu offered a good variety of food and included a half bottle of wine per person for £25.

We had olives and bread on the table and the staff kept replenishing the bread baskets without having to ask. The meal was itself very good. the starters were very big and good quality. The main meals were all very good and all arrived hot and well presented. (we asked for a portion calves liver to be cooked without butter, there was no fuss and the liver came as requested) We also had a variety of sweets, again all good.

A good all round experience. The food is good quality and very tasty. The staff were very attentive and friendly and quick to bring drinks etc.

3  Thank Vince P