“The chef is not Italian ”
Review of Al Fresco

Al Fresco
Ranked #45 of 173 Restaurants in Enfield
Price range: US$10 - US$56
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

The chef is not Italian and you immediately feel. The staff is friendly, but the food is nothing to that. Probably for an Italian restaurant it would take an Italian chef.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Having been a regular to Alfesco in Whetstone when we read on their site they had a nearer restaurant in Cockfosters it was a no brainer.

We arrived were seated very quickly only 30% full and all was going well.

Bread and olives on the table. All looking nice and clean and fresh although it lacks personality and ambience compared to whetstone all seemed ok.

Had a garlic pizza to start was very nice. Drinks came quickly and service was attentive.

We ordered a salad, a cannelloni and a risotto. The salad was as described although a dressing on the side would have been nice. The cannelloni whilst piping hot was watery and tasteless as was the risotto. We did complain and £7 was removed from the bill. But the manger did not come over it was just shown on the bill. Maybe he knows??

It's a great shame as for 12 plus years alfresco whetstone has been a regular place to go.

So be aware you have a choice and stick to the original....

2  Thank r50lts
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Not a great deal to say, apart from the service is good, the food eminently passable. A huge menu. I defy anyone not to find things they like. All served very quickly and perfectly cooked.
Why not 5? My father-in-law booked a table for 3 and when he changed it to a table for 5, he was told his booking wasn't there!!? But, booked we wee, but only on the proviso we were gone by 9pm from our 7pm table!! I don't like that, albeit I understand it. Serve us quickly, don't put us on a time limit though.

2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This is one of the best Italian restaurants we have been to. amazing food and great service!! def def def go again!!!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

On the face of it this should be a very nice restaurant. The food, on the whole, is good, and the prices are reasonable for where and what it is. But we had a poor experience on 1st February 2014. We were trying to get through the front door, the ladies hesitated and the waiter by the door became very animated. The restaurant, seemingly like all restaurants these days, is very noisy. The service was exceedingly prompt – I assume they wanted to turn the tables round and could, it being a busy Saturday night. The starters were no sooner ordered than delivered. I ordered sardines – I got 2. I rather think they were deep fat fried as they were very crisp but, none the less, pleasant. Within a few minutes our mains arrived. Two of us ordered lamb shanks. Hers was exactly as it should be, falling of the bone. Mine was undercooked. I sent it back, expecting to receive a replacement but no, no way would they give me another. In the end I settled for lamb cutlets which did not arrive promptly so sate alone with 3 onlookers. We left without dessert, coffee or tip. Never again - other restaurants are available.

1  Thank paulw1066