“Nice meal but service was a but slow”
Review of The Bay Horse

The Bay Horse
Ranked #30 of 74 Restaurants in Goole
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Country pub offering locally sourced ingrediants, employing local staff offering B&B
Ossett, United Kingdom
“Nice meal but service was a but slow”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

The place was lovely, a small cosy pub with an Indian vibe, the place filled up and service become slow. Food was spot on!!

rasco81
“Just your average curry house”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Was invited here by a friend, this had been the old Bay Horse pub, that had been closed for some time. On entering the bar/ restaurant, was greeted by some very pleasant staff. To the right is a medium sized bar, well fitted out and pleasing to the eye with some seating. Not sure if you can go in there just for a drink, I should have asked! To the left is the dining area, this is also very tastefully refurbished. There is a menu offering the usual korma, dhansak, tikka masala etc. and also the chef's specialities.I ordered onion bhaji for starter and unfortunately they were the large deep fried balls that taste of very little. Another of our party ordered samosas, We had quite a laugh as the onion bhajis were huge and the samosas tiny, should have come on a smaller plate!!! None of the starters or the raita was made 'in house' but bought in. You can get this food at any Westernised curry house. One of us ordered a Balti, which bizzarly came in a little metal bucket, not the usual Balti dish, anyway the taste again was generic, I ordered one of the chef's specials and although the taste was fair, at the end of every mouthful I got a strong citrus taste which did spoil the meal for me. The naan bread was also mass produced, it was very thick and doughy. The restaurant have a Wednesday Special, which is 3 courses for £8.95, which I think is more than enough for this type of food. There is a Banquet Night on Sundays. The restaurant is in a small village approx. 7miles from Goole and 3 miles from Snaith, so I would have hoped it would be a bit more authentic, to make you want to travel out there to eat. I would go again but would stick to the more common dishes, or go for the Wednesday offer as the night ended up quite expensive for such average food. One thing I did notice on the menu was 'Staff Curry' I would have had this as its usually very good, but this one was lamb. Not for me, but if anyone does eat lamb and you want some authentic food I bet this is the dish for you!! I might ask if they can do a chicken Staff curry one time, and I dont even mind the bones.

• Visited March 2014
Howden
“Super Shapla”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Visited here with friends after a recommendation following their recent 'make over'. What was a traditional pub has now diversified and offers both a well stocked bar / seating area (which had a superb real ale on when we visited) plus a new Indian restaurant. We were greeted by friendly staff from the restaurant and offered the chance to peruse the extensive menu in the bar area. We enjoyed reasonably priced drinks in a very smart, refurbished bar with an excellent host and then walked through to our table. The food is all freshly prepared and despite a short wait, is well worth it. Superb starters and mains in such quantity that doggie bags are a must!
This popular restaurant is gaining a good reputation which is well deserved. We will definitely return. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2014
Rawcliffe, United Kingdom
“Excellent Meal”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This was our first visit to the newly refurbished Shapla Indian Restaurant it was a pleasant experience. The food was excellent very tasty good sized portions and presented nicely and service was very good , we shall definitely be returning, Good value for money. Caroline Ann Hill.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Caroline521
yorkshire
“The Bay Horse is now Shapla Indian Restaraunt”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

First visit to this refurbished establishment but will not be my last.

Friendly service and excellent food at reasonable prices. Generous portions, very comfortable and a good atmosphere. Lovely seating area prior to meal with a great husband and wife team behind the bar.

• Visited December 2013