“Perfect breakfast cafe”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I defy you to find a cafe that does a standard breakfast as good as this anywhere for £5.99. It's not cheap or expensive it is about right. Egg, two bacon, herby sausage, beans, fried lice, mushrooms instead of tomatoes, bread and butter, apple juice and a mug of tea. Perfectly cooked for my liking, hot, plenty of it and utterly delicious after being up for three hours. Not a posh gaff but well clean, friendly and polite. Well done!

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Found this little gem whilst working on call on a Sunday in the Kent area. Me and a college stopped here for some munchies and we wasn't disappointed. This is no fine dining establishment but the menu was adequate, service was with a smile and reasonabley priced but most of all food was tasty. Will stop again if in this area.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

the food is good the price is cheap the location is good and the staff are friendly. not 5* but thats obvious for the price you pay

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We went for breakfast about 10 o'clock on Saturday 16th November thinking it would be a good way to start a weekend of birthday celebrations. How wrong we were because it was a bitter disappointment. I have eaten in there many times before and would have previously agreed wholeheartedly with comments about it being a decent café that served good food at reasonable prices. When we arrived, it was very busy but that is not normally a problem. We ordered our food (2 breakfasts) and waited at least 20 minutes then realised that our order had been missed completely. I reminded one of the 'Nells Angels' (I used to think that was funny now it's just cringeworthy) of our order number and she was very apologetic and made enquiries with the kitchen staff. Another 10 or 15 minutes went by and my order came out first but then we had to wait another 5 minutes for the other plate of food. The second plateful was up to the standard expected but mine was, frankly, awful. I'd ordered two poached eggs on toast, beans, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes but the bread had clearly just been wafted in front of a grill because it was anaemic and soggy and the eggs weren't cooked. I don't mind a little bit of runny white but these were almost embryonic. I spoke to the 'Angel' and again she was very good in getting it sorted and a fresh, well-cooked plateful arrived. I ate half of it but then noticed that the crust of the 2nd slice was green. I spoke to a different 'Angel' and she spoke to the kitchen staff who, without even seeing the offending article, sent her back with the declaration that it was "dye from the bags the bread comes in." I can only assume this is an all too regular explanation that they have fobbed people off with before. I asked for a refund and Lauren, one of the kitchen staff, eventually came out to resolve it. She repeatedly gave the explanation about the bags the bread comes in and made me feel I was in the wrong and being unreasonable in asking for my money back. Eventually, she worked out the price of my breakfast but only actually gave me half my money because I'd eaten half of the meal before I saw that the bread was green. She was rude and as insipid as the meals I was served. On the way out, was going to use the toilet but it was filthy. I hope lots of people read this and are put off ever eating there again. I will certainly be telling as many people as possible how awful it was!!!

1  Thank Tans_M2013
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Just off the A2 at Gravesend this is a proper transport cafe offering high quality food at a very reasonable price. Amazing huge breakfasts not swimming in fat and healthy options on offer too. Fantastic homemade pies, roast dinners and satisfying traditional deserts.

Nell's is also a great place to people watch and in general it's always busy. Lunch yesterday was steak pie, chips and beans with gravy. All hot and fresh.