“a betta-bitta-beef”

The Clarendon Royal Hotel Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Clarendon Royal Hotel Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 119 Restaurants in Gravesend
Price range: US$13 - US$38
Cuisines: British, Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our restaurant 'The Block House' brings modern dining to the historic market town of Gravesend. The restaurant and bar combines classic but stylish design, creating a relaxed yet vibrant atmosphere. With the stunning Admirals Bar, the river terrace and our hidden gem The Blockhouse restaurant there are many ambiances to enjoy our range of menu's. Open all day The Clarendon Royal Hotel offers imaginative dining seven days a week. Our brunch is one of the best served in the area and bookable 7 days a week. Providing classic dishes including eggs benedict, a full English and smoked salmon with truffled scrambled eggs. The ever changing seasonal brasserie bar and terrace menu is there for all to enjoy Monday-Saturday, with our weekly changing A La Carte Menu available from Wednesday-Saturday evenings in The Blockhouse Restaurant. The A La Carte menu is where you'll find the most creative and technical dishes using classic and robust flavours served in inventive ways. Our legendary Sunday Lunch is served from midday until 4pm every Sunday. The bar is an inviting place to meet at any time of the day with stunning hand crafted cocktails, locally sourced craft beer and thoughtfully selected wines and spirits.
Llantwit Major, United Kingdom
“a betta-bitta-beef”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

On mothers day this year my sister and i took our mother to the Clarendon hotel for mothers day for a lunch which she did not expect, and as per my review title the roast beef that we had was so tender it defies description, nice flavour, presentation and friendly service, well done.

• Visited March 2014

Leeds
“Bit of a disaster”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We dined in the restaurant today and we were left thoroughly disappointed. We have dined here before on a Sunday lunch time and had such a good time that we were really looking forward to today. I call to book as I thought they might be busy and informed them when booking that one member of our party was a vegetarian. I was told that there was a special menu which sounded great.

On arriving today we sat at a table in the corner and were presented with our menus. When I requested the veggie menu I was met with a blank face. A few minutes later I was informed that there was no menu as it was being re-printed, and eventually one was retrieved from what I presume was the bin given the tatty state of it. I declined to take the menu and opted for one of the veggie starters as my main to try to move things along. We had to ask for drinks at this point, and noticed that the glasses already on the table were heavily stained and therefore unusable so wine and water were out of the question. The service overall was very slow and the food took a long while to come out. The butter that was served with our starters was covered in crumbs and jam so was clearly 'pre-used' and the pot had dubious lumps floating about the bottom of it. We had to enter the kitchen to request new butter as there was no service. The next pot we received still had jam smears but as the pot was clean we chose to put up with it. Our starters however were very tasty and we had no major complaints about the food at this stage other than the cleanliness of the butter dish and the glasses etc.

As our mains took a while and we had a young child with us we chose to take her for walk outside, it was then that we noticed the filthy state of the main stairs - they seriously just need a dustpan a brush job on them.

When the mains arrived it was clear something had gone wrong. The course of chicken with no gravy was swimming in gravy (this was quickly fixed). The garlic mushrooms on brioche were huge slabs of mushrooms with thick chunks of garlic on a piece of granary toast - I detest granary toast so asked for the brioche only to be informed that there was none. Had I been informed I would have opted for another course but I was not given the choice. I requested white bread as an alternative which took nearly 10 minutes to arrive and I was promised butter. Five minutes later I was asked if I would like more butter so I informed that I had not actually been given any in the first place. I requested that the course just be taken away as it was cold and looking pretty rank and I was promised to not be charged for this course. The beef was served as huge slabs as we later found out it had been carved with a blunt knife.

After a wait our plates were cleared and the desserts were ordered as I was still hungry having only had a bowl of soup so far- only to be updated 10 mins later that they had run out of 2 of our options. This was fine and the desserts were passable if not great. We swapped our spoons with another unused table as our were not clean. We asked for our bill and after another long wait. We gave up and rushed to the bar to pay as I had a set time train to catch. Considering my train was booked for 3 hours after we sat down it shows the length of time it took to be served etc. Once we had left we discussed the bill and realised that we had been charged £14.95 for my meal - a bowl of soup and a mousse. We were pretty shocked to have been charged the full amount for 2 courses (which would normally include a main) given what we had been served and that standards were simply poor.

This left a final sour taste after a downright disappointing experience. We were really looking forward to our meal and kept trying to make allowances for errors, poor service and dirty cutlery and glasses etc, but essentially we ran out of excuses for the Clarendon and we wont be returning. It is a real shame as this was set to be a firm favourite for our Sunday lunch outings.

6 Thank bumpkinsnpumpkins
Kent
“Good food and nice bar area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We ate Sunday lunch in the restaurant which was pretty quiet - it's a smallish room with no windows and feels a bit claustrophobic. However, the service was pleasant and the roast beef was delicious - a good cut well presented and plentiful, with fresh veg and yummy gravy. We will eat here again but in the bar area next time as it feels more spacious and is nicely decorated with interesting views of the river from tables by the window. They also have live music on Sunday afternoon and Friday evenings.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food in an atmospheric local land mark.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We had lunch in the Clarendon for the first time today since this great venue reopened and we weren't disappointed. Sunday roast was exceptionally good - it's rare to get the meat and roast potatoes so right. Good choice of quality ales too. Keep up the good work.

• Visited January 2014
Swanscombe, kent
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Went as a group to the Christmas evening. Wonderful venue. The food was exceptional and the staff very attentive. Chloe was very friendly and professional a credit to the hotel. Disco was fun, the surroundings very tasteful. We'll be back x

• Visited December 2013