“Superb classic motorcycle experience.”

London Motorcycle Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Greenford
Reviewed 29 March 2015 via mobile

I wanted to catch up on some British motorcycle history do I decided to visit the LMM on a cold and rainy Sunday. When I first reached the premises I wondered if it I had made a mistake as frankly the building and car park look a bit drab. Once inside I was shocked to see a superb array of fabulous classic bikes from BSA, Triumph, Norton et al. A lovely and helpful lady volunteer offered to show me round. Suffice to say I spent the next hour learning about the British motorcycle scene from 1900 onwards. The range of bikes is comprehensive and the staff most helpful and informative. Well worth a second visit and great value at £8. Highly recommended for motorcycle buffs.

3  Thank Nicholas H
"exhibits"
in 5 reviews
"cafe"

Reviewed 7 February 2015

It's off the beaten track and the presentation of the exhibits may not be up to professional standards but I think it's all the more charming for it. This is a private collection (albeit an impressive one) and the museum is run by amateurs but they are knowledgable and enthusiastic. It's an absolute gem. Go out of your way to pay a visit.

1  Thank 991tomk
Reviewed 13 January 2015

While in London for a long xmas holiday, my wife reminded me yesterday that it would be a good time to take the tube to the Museum from Wimbledon where our daughter and grandson live. We are both sport bike riders with loads of miles, California to Canada, CA to Colorado and around the south of England and Wales.

We spent about two hours on a fascinating journey through British motorcycle history, especially enhanced thanks to our guide. The museum houses a treasure from the earliest British ‘motor-bikes’ to the current Triumph. But the bonus was Peter. His narrative made the experience vivid and his friendliness made the discussions fun. We covered so much, two-stroke engine development, chassis development, racing history and on. Oh, and some of our own similar experiences. Especially memorable was Peter’s description of an event in Mike Hailwood’s automobile racing career at the ‘73 South African Grand Prix. Make sure you ask him to share that story.

I’ve never written a review before but my wife suggested that now is the right time to start!

Cheers,
Bill E & Judi B

3  Thank Bill E
Reviewed 9 December 2014

I decided to take a visit to the Motor Cycle Museum and was very happy to see the types of Motor Cycles on diplay. Such interesting sights tucked away.

1  Thank carol J
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 December 2014

First of all I would like to place this visit into a personal context. In my 60 years I have only ridden on a motorcycle once, I much prefer the comfort of a car ! I did go along with a friend who has experienced the "thrill" of this mode of transport. It always impresses me that motorcyclists know more about their mode of transport than their car driving compatriots.

The museum is situated within a housing estate. The roads are relatively narrow and there is next to no street parking. The museum itself has a small grassed parking area. The museum buildings themselves are "Victorian" yellow bricked (once) utility farm buildings.

The museum is a labour of love of a motorcycling enthusiast. It is not an ultra-modern computer display screen museum, it is "old school", filled to the brim with its subject area, Motorcycles ! The motorcycles range from the earliest pedal cycles with petrol motors bolted on from the late 19th century to 21st high powered beasts.

I mention high powered beast from the 21st century. They also have 3 forerunners to motorcycle drag racing from the 1960's, the "Perils". Then there is a weird scratch-built "jobby" built around a Mini engine !

As mentioned, I am not a motorcyclist or enthusiast. I appreciate engineering and design as a result I took approaching 100 photographs.

The subject matter is also bought to life by the Guides, they do know their stuff. Mind you, it appears that their typical visitor is also knowledgeable and they were also impressed by the Guides.

My only adverse comment is that the museum doesn't "blow its own trumpet". The website doesn't show how good this museum actually is. You really have to hunt to discover how many bike's there actually are. In fact there is around 200 ! They even have around 80 Triumphs in a dedicated hall.

In my opinion you need to make a couple of visits to fully appreciate all of the exhibits. Sadly, only open Saturday, Sunday and Monday.