“Awful food poor service”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #9 of 45 Restaurants in Greenford
Cuisines: Bar, British, Gastropub
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“Awful food poor service”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We used to eat here regularly. Good value pub food with friendly staff.

Visited last night for first time in 18 months and couldn't believe how poor standards now are.

Ordered two starter a which took nearly 30 mind to arrive. Waitress marched up to table tossed two plates onto table and walked away without a word without making eye contact and interestingly without providing any cutlery. The starters were indifferent very small portions.

When our fish and chip main.courses arrived we couldn't believe our eyes. Batter cooked to dark brown colour. Thought it was burnt but astonishingly it had the consistency of rubber. Fish itself was clearly not fresh and grey in colour.

I don't make a habit of making a fuss but I asked for the Manager. When I went through the poor service she didn't say a word. When I asked her whether she would eat the fish she didn't say a word. When I asked her why my wifes mayonnaise had fork marks in it and had obviously been recycled from another meal she hadn't got anything to say either. She did say that the table spoonful of mushy peas was the result of portion guidelines issued by the company.

I demanded a full refund and won't be back.

A cheaper meal doesn't need to be a poor meal. This was worst meal I have ever been served. How has this happened in what used to he a really nice place to eat?

London, United Kingdom
“My local ... good food, if you're prepared to wait for it.”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a nice pub with a lovely garden by the canal. It's not the cheapest but isn't too expensive - expect to pay £8-15 for a main meal.

The food is generally really nice. I'd recommend the ploughmans and the roast on a sunday is lovely - real gravy and proper homemade yorkshire puds.

The service lets this place down. They rarely have enough staff, especially on days when they know it's going to be busy i.e bank holidays/sundays

The staff have been uncourteous during busy periods at the bar.

I ordered a big plate of nachos to share the other day and it was cheap nachos with cheese (not melted), hundreds of jalapeños and no sour cheese... and we had to wait 45 mins for the cold crisps to come out. And this was after I had asked twice to see where they were.

I'd say on the whole, having been here a about a dozen times, the food is worth the wait. Just don't go here if you're in a rush. Get a drink (big selection) and chill out in the lovely garden by the canal. Great for a summer day.

Even with its occasional let downs. it's still the best pub in the area. The one down the road smelt of vomit from the night before!

• Visited May 2014
“Excellent beers great beer garden by canal”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

A fantastic pub with a good selection of ales. The food various from okay to good. With the star being the meat platters.
Far and away the best thing about the pub is its great service and beer garden by the canal. Perfect on a sunny day.

London, United Kingdom
“good value”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

went with friends and was welcomed by good staff and found the food so was food good value for money in nice surroundings this is a better place to eat than a lot of places in this area was busy at lunch time but service was quick

• Visited March 2014
Greenford
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible food”
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

We went for a work night out when we ordered food we wasn't expecting the starters and the mains to all be served at once which meant the mains became cold. I had one of the specials which was in edible the rice was hard it was horrible def will not be going back

Visited February 2014