“Excellent hotel”

Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Harrow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
London
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed just the one night whilst attending a local tennis club dinner /dance in the hotel which had offered a special rate for those planning to stay. To summarise, we really enjoyed both our evening and stay.

Our bedroom was the Mikado Suite which was very quiet and atmospheric with a super comfortable bed, nice furniture and a modern bathroom. Breakfast was good with a nice selection from a cold buffet of cereals, juices, croissants etc and freshly cooked egg and bacon etc. Coffee could have been better (I do like fresh coffee !) and toast was served unusually with just one slice at a time. This will ensure it’s fresh but a rack of toast is better as it can be frustrating trying to get the waiting staff’s attention to order more.

The quality of the food at the dinner / dance was exceptionally good with the main course of tender chicken with some really nice vegetables which was all served piping hot. It’s one of the better meals I have had at a function of 50+ people. Also, the service was well organised with attention paid to everyone on each table getting their food at the same time and they kept refreshing the water jug on all tables throughout the evening – which is very thoughtful.

The Grim's Dyke hotel is somewhat different to most other hotels within the M25 as both its location and the main hotel building itself give you feeling of being somewhere far away from London and that you are in the depths of the English countryside. We liked it !

Room Tip: The best rooms are in the main building rather than the Garden Lodge.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We came to this hotel for a birthday tea party. It is such a pretty hotel with glorious grounds and beautiful rooms with exquisite ceilings and design. The party took place in one of their party rooms which was an excellent size for 50 people. They served scones, sandwiches, cakes, trifle, and lemon mousse. It was all tasty and nicely presented even if the unsteady 3 layer trays did fall over. . The staff were very helpful and attentive and provided alternative flavoured teas to the standard builders brew. I have no idea what the cost was but I strongly recommend it if within your budget. One thing, I was very pleased to see how clean the male and female toilets were as I have been surprised by the disgusting state of dome toilets in other hotels.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travelguidebarbie
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed here for one night and a day and a half for a work 'retreat'. I understand that we got a good deal of £135 for bed, breakfast lunch and dinner.

There is the main Victorian house (formerly the home of WS Gilbert of Gilbert & Sullivan fame), which has a number of room and the bar and restaurant as well as the music room for events. We stayed in a nearby annex which looks a bit like terraced cottages in the Barratt's homes style, but they are beginning to age well with moss on the roof tiles to make it look a little older and more in keeping.

The room was quite, well, roomy, with a jacuzzi bath and shower (colleagues on the floor above had regular baths). Some of the decor was new and trendy, but then the armchairs and sofa looked like they could do with reupholstering. The room had a flatscreen TV, tea and coffee, a small fridge and safe - all useful features - as well as free wifi.

The bed was very hard (and I don't mind a firm mattress) and not that comfortable.

The breakfast buffet was adequate - cereals, yoghurt and juices - but nothing special, but together with the menu items was enough to set you up for the day. The other meals were OK too, like decent pub fare but nothing more. And don't get me started on what they passed off as rice pudding. What a travesty!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Visiting family member who was a patient at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore and this hotel was local, c 2 miles away. Stayed in hotel on 2 separate occasions in December 2013 and on both occasions was impressed by the staff, hotel, and rooms. Had the English cooked breakfast and a bar meal and food was well presented and tasty. Best to book bed and breakfast as offers good value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Had my wedding meal here in the drawing room, as i had a small amount of guests. Food was outstanding, the best hotel food i have ever had. Also stayed in Gilbert and mikado suite for two nights with my husband. We recommend them highly. Even the gardens and grounds are so impressive, we had our wedding photographs there they turned out lovely. Such a great weekend to remember. Me and my husband now made a promise to pass every anniversary at the hotel as our wedding was such a beautiful experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

No Ordinary Review!

I stayed in the GDH for four nights on business during the final week of October into November. On the last night I was woken at 1.30AM by what I think were two member of staff entering my room. Realising I was in bed, they retreated with an abrupt 'sorry' and my request whether anything was wrong and for them to identify themselves ignored. Not knowing what was happening I decided to leave complaining until the following day once day staff and the manager were on duty. I was unable to get back to sleep until 3.30 AM and get up and leave for work at 6AM.

I went to work tired and distressed by the incident. At 9.30 I contacted the hotel and asked to speak to the manager: Sadly my story is too detailed for the review on Trip Advisor.

Briefly the outcome of my complaint ( over a three week period) my contact with the general manager of the GDH, the American HQ customer services department of Best Western Hotels and the Director of the organisation (UK based in the North) who owns the GDH, a dismissive apology and disregard for the distress I experienced was the offer (at my suggestion of a minimum of the £83.00 paid for the night) of a twenty five pound refund or a 50 % discount off a suite and breakfast for two. I explained that my business in the area was finished and I did not need to stay in the area again; I did attempt to explain that they had broken the contractual agreement and both offers were an insult: I wonder what would have happened if I left without paying, breaking my contract with them??????

I was never given any explanation as to why staff would enter a room at 1.30AM......
My Advice to anyone considering staying here, think TWICE Will you have the same experience?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Susan W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrow
Premier Inn London Harrow Hotel
Premier by Eurotraveller Hotel, Harrow
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
The Barn Hotel
The Barn Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ruislip
Village Hotel London Watford
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel? Share your experiences!