“Pleasant relaxing stay”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Harrow
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 29 April 2014

On arrival at the hotel (after a slight detour to a cul-de-sac courtesy of our satnav) we were duly impressed by its grand appearance.
A truly lovely building if ever there was one, the lodge in the grounds however is far less imposing. Its more like an upmarket Travelodge.
The grounds themselves are generally well kept & tidy.
A point of interest was that Mr. Gilbert was drowned in the lake whilst frolicing, the mind boggles. Anyway, booking in was fairly straightforward as we'd made prior reservations some months before, the reception area is tiny & was soon overwhelmed by our family but the staff did their duty effeciently & with humour. My wife & I were informed we'd been upgraded to the Grand Duke Room. The room was right at the top of the building through a maze of corridors & stairs but we soldiered on regardless. On our journey we went through the music room where the wedding was to take place. A very impressive room & a stunning fireplace which, we were told, was carved in alabaster not marble. Obviously Mr. Gilbert had made a pretty penny from his partnership with Mr. Sullivan.
Our daughters & grandchildren were in the lodge & were less than impressed with being charged £25 per night for an extra fold up bed in one of their rooms which then left very little room to move around.
In the Grand Duke Room we were pleased with the size of it, this would soon be put to the test when everyone descended upon us! A comfortable 3 seater sofa complimented the huge bed (which was actually wider than it was long!). A nicely appointed en suite with a bath/shower handbasin etc. The handbasin taps caught my eye as parts of them were missing but I'm an engineer, we notice these things. The bathroom was spotlessly clean. Usual tea/coffee making facilities & a good sized TV (only free to air channels). I noticed there must have been a small wardrobe in the room once as the doors from it were used on the built in wardrobe (cupboard really), the give away was the hinges.........
In the evening we returned from eating to descend upon the bar, the drinks are reasonably priced & the staff very attentive & polite. The bar was comfortable & a general feeling of everyone being welcome, very nice.
Onto the big day & I was wondering how it was going to go, I needn't have been in the slightest bit concerned. The ceremony, lunch, evening entertainments all took place in the music room. The staff were magnificient, it was run with military precision! I must say the food served for the wedding lunch was utterly gorgeous, no one got the wrong dish, all the kids were happy & nothing was too much trouble for the staff. After lunch we were asked to clear the room in preparation for the evening. Within about an hour a disco, dance floor & seating for all had magically been arranged. It was a triumph of organisation & logistics.
Now, about the breakfasts.............
Our first one was very nice indeed, again very attentive staff offering all sorts of variations on an English breakfast but the second one somehow gave me the impression we were trying to be gotten rid of. Whilst I was talking to the groom on the second morning a waiter interrupted us & told me the tables were only for wedding guests, I replied I was one, he then tried to curtail my conversation & usher me to another table! My wife & I were not offered any of the previous mornings options on breakfast & I didn't particularly like the waiters curt manner. I noticed in the breakfast room that the lighting was in a dreadfully dusty state, a clod of dust could easily have fallen into someones food.
I was given to understand that Best Western have only recently taken over this hotel. There are a number of areas within the building that are looking a little tired, a lick of paint here & there could make so much difference.
Overall we were happy with our stay. Would we go back again? Maybe.

Room Tip: Go for a titled room if you can!
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My daughter got married here last Saturday. I can only say it was an amazing day made even more special by the wonderful obviously experienced staff. Nothing was too much trouble , food , service , ambience. Thanks in particular to Claire , Jula ( sorry sp?) and Danielle . X

Room Tip: The rooms in the main house are very special
1  Thank OlaWatford
Reviewed 27 April 2014

On behalf of my son and daughter-in-law I want to record a huge thank you. What a wonderful wedding we had last weekend. Facilities were fantastic. Food at reception was everything we hoped for. The whole day went as expected. Special thanks to Clare for organising everything and to Gyula for ensuring all went according to plan on the day, unobtrusive but always in control. Thank you for making a special day extra special.
Sam F

Room Tip: Get a room in the original house!
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel is great. Very pretty. Perfect for families and couples.

Pros:
- Clean, decent-sized rooms
- Staff is very friendly and accommodating
- Great restaurant and bar
- The grounds are very pretty and green

Cons
- If you are using public transportation, keep in mind the bus stop is a bit of a walk. The walk is also kind of terrifying at night since it involves walking next to/in the middle of pitch black woods for quite a while. I recommend taking a cab at night.
- Wifi is not great inside the rooms, but it is usable

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We held a champagne afternoon tea for about 30 people as a joint birthday celebration in the characterful Drawing Room at the Grims Dyke and it was just excellent. The service was absolutely outstanding, the staff warm and friendly and helpful, the food plentiful and tasty and the gardens were looking beautiful in the sunshine - the perfect place for the children to run around safely afterwards. Everyone had a fabulous time and as host I felt I was in excellent hands. I would definitely recommend this hotel for similar events, weddings etc.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrow
Premier Inn London Harrow Hotel
Premier by Eurotraveller Hotel, Harrow
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Premier Inn London Edgware Hotel
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
Mercure London Watford Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel? Share your experiences!