“Great Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Harrow
Farnham
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on Tuesday night whilst attending a conference.
The hotel is full of character.
I stayed in room 9 otherwise known as Koko.
The bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom.
Very comfortable nights sleep, excellent pillows.
Shower not very powerful, bath towels fantastic .
Food was fantastic, great menu, good presentation and good taste.
Conference was very good, good wi Fi, conference finger buffet lunch was just the job.
We enjoyed good weather so it was pleasant enjoying lunch outside in the terrace looking over the amazing gardens.
Overall an excellent venue for business or pleasure.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were married at the hotel a few weeks ago. To describe this place as a dream location is an understatement. The beautiful exterior and gardens were the perfect backdrop. I was slightly concerned about the use of the music room for the ceremony, wedding breakfast and party but it worked like a dream and there were no difficulties. We were in very experienced hands.

The true stars of our wedding were the staff. Between Claire and Gyula everything ran on time, there were no question or difficulties - well not that I was aware of. My saving angel was Danielle who promptly sorted me out after I was knocked and poured a whole glass of champagne down my dress. Her quick thinking and swift action saved the day.

The charming exterior speaks for itself but the service is second to none at the Grims Dyke.

A beautiful and unforgettable day. Visit, hold your special event there, or just go for dinner - you won't regret it!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Stephanie W
Upminster
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed in room 204, double with balcony not in main building. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds. Room a nice size however a little bit tired. sofa stained and loose threads. Bed very comfortable and large, bathroom also nice. View from balcony overlooking the garden so overall quite pleased £130 with brekkie.

Full English Breakfast plus fruit etc, cooked breakfast was not to a very high standard, bacon overdone

Room Tip: Rooms with bacon best or named rooms Gilbert, Sullivan etc
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Harrow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

My friend recently got married and I booked the Hotel 4 weeks in advance so she could have after wedding drinks with her guests. I confirmed the booking 2 days before - all ok. It was only in the public bar. The bride and her husband showed up for drinks and were refused entry to the bar. The manager said there was a wedding on in a private room and it wouldn't look nice if there were 2 brides there. This was absolutely ridiculous. If I was told this when making the booking it wouldn't have been an issue. The manager didn't see the booking until the day. How unprofessional. Their wedding evening was ruined. After awhile we refused to leave as it was a public bar and we called the family to attend. However the bride did have to take her wedding dress of just in case the other bride came to the public bar. I have never ever seen anything like it and will never ever visit this hotel again. The manager was unprofessional, rude, I accommodating and should be sacked. The general manager was a waste of time too. Do not spend your special day there. Their wedding evening ruined because the idiots couldn't think outside the box.

Stayed April 2014
6 Thank Innis101
Battle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

It is only recently that we have discovered Best Western Hotels (since September 2013) and we are so glad that we have. Most of the hotels that we have stayed in so far have been old, Victorian or Georgian manor houses of imposing former homes. Nearly all have had a homely quirkiness. The staff almost without exception, but especially the Grim's Dyke Hotel near Harrow has made us feel very welcome.

It is so nice to find such old fashioned standards of care and welcome.

Our overwhelming impression of the hotel was of an old family run establishment with old fashioned values of courtesy and consideration shown the comfort and wellbeing of their guests, which is lovely in this day and age.

In connection with our work we stay in many hotels both in the UK and abroad, this is the first time that we have ever felt sad in leaving a hotel.

Any time that we are able to we are definitely going to book another stay at the Grims' Dyke Hotel.

Thank you to the management and staff for making our stay so memorable.

Four of the staff were particularly helpful Anne-Marie Harding and Monika in reception. Stephen the porter and a young German chap serving in the restaurant.

We are looking forward to our next stay with you.

Room Tip: This last visit we stayed in the Mikado room. Located in the main building, four poster bed, everyth...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter&Alison
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

On arrival at the hotel (after a slight detour to a cul-de-sac courtesy of our satnav) we were duly impressed by its grand appearance.
A truly lovely building if ever there was one, the lodge in the grounds however is far less imposing. Its more like an upmarket Travelodge.
The grounds themselves are generally well kept & tidy.
A point of interest was that Mr. Gilbert was drowned in the lake whilst frolicing, the mind boggles. Anyway, booking in was fairly straightforward as we'd made prior reservations some months before, the reception area is tiny & was soon overwhelmed by our family but the staff did their duty effeciently & with humour. My wife & I were informed we'd been upgraded to the Grand Duke Room. The room was right at the top of the building through a maze of corridors & stairs but we soldiered on regardless. On our journey we went through the music room where the wedding was to take place. A very impressive room & a stunning fireplace which, we were told, was carved in alabaster not marble. Obviously Mr. Gilbert had made a pretty penny from his partnership with Mr. Sullivan.
Our daughters & grandchildren were in the lodge & were less than impressed with being charged £25 per night for an extra fold up bed in one of their rooms which then left very little room to move around.
In the Grand Duke Room we were pleased with the size of it, this would soon be put to the test when everyone descended upon us! A comfortable 3 seater sofa complimented the huge bed (which was actually wider than it was long!). A nicely appointed en suite with a bath/shower handbasin etc. The handbasin taps caught my eye as parts of them were missing but I'm an engineer, we notice these things. The bathroom was spotlessly clean. Usual tea/coffee making facilities & a good sized TV (only free to air channels). I noticed there must have been a small wardrobe in the room once as the doors from it were used on the built in wardrobe (cupboard really), the give away was the hinges.........
In the evening we returned from eating to descend upon the bar, the drinks are reasonably priced & the staff very attentive & polite. The bar was comfortable & a general feeling of everyone being welcome, very nice.
Onto the big day & I was wondering how it was going to go, I needn't have been in the slightest bit concerned. The ceremony, lunch, evening entertainments all took place in the music room. The staff were magnificient, it was run with military precision! I must say the food served for the wedding lunch was utterly gorgeous, no one got the wrong dish, all the kids were happy & nothing was too much trouble for the staff. After lunch we were asked to clear the room in preparation for the evening. Within about an hour a disco, dance floor & seating for all had magically been arranged. It was a triumph of organisation & logistics.
Now, about the breakfasts.............
Our first one was very nice indeed, again very attentive staff offering all sorts of variations on an English breakfast but the second one somehow gave me the impression we were trying to be gotten rid of. Whilst I was talking to the groom on the second morning a waiter interrupted us & told me the tables were only for wedding guests, I replied I was one, he then tried to curtail my conversation & usher me to another table! My wife & I were not offered any of the previous mornings options on breakfast & I didn't particularly like the waiters curt manner. I noticed in the breakfast room that the lighting was in a dreadfully dusty state, a clod of dust could easily have fallen into someones food.
I was given to understand that Best Western have only recently taken over this hotel. There are a number of areas within the building that are looking a little tired, a lick of paint here & there could make so much difference.
Overall we were happy with our stay. Would we go back again? Maybe.

Room Tip: Go for a titled room if you can!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrow
Premier Inn London Harrow Hotel
Premier by Eurotraveller Hotel, Harrow
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Village Hotel London Watford
The Barn Hotel
The Barn Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ruislip
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Grim's Dyke Hotel? Share your experiences!