“excellent service - room for improvement with the food”
Review of Masala Art

Masala Art
Ranked #162 of 369 Restaurants in Harrow
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We were a party of four, and this was our first visit. First impressions were good, the interior of the restaurant is modern and comfortable, and the service was friendly, helpful and efficient. We tried four mains between us. The Chicken Tikka was good but for us other dishes (rogon, jalfrezi) were only ok - there was a lot of sauce and not quite enough meat and vegetables to the dishes. Nothing actively wrong, but we are used to much more substantial and chunky dishes. The pillau rice was a little dry and tired. The cobra beer was served very cold, and was a really good price. Its lovely when a restaurant doesn't overcharge ridiculously for drinks.

1  Thank Lilibet53

Reviewed 5 January 2013

Really comfortable restaurant and good service but such Average food. They will need to review the food and menu if they are going to survive.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

My husband and I came to attend a course over last weekend in Edgware and came here for our evening meal. I really enjoyed the meal, I ordered a mixed grill, the dhaba curry (a lamb curry which was milder than I was expecting but still very tasty) with kulcha paratha which was a new experience for me. And the kheer for dessert which was creamy and delicious. The portions are quite small but I don't have a big appetite, so the quantity was just right. I was full but not bloated to the point of overeating. The waiter was attentive and gave really good suggestions on what to order, when we asked him. He was polite and friendly. This place is quite small but had a lovely atmosphere. We overall had an enjoyable evening and would definitely recommend to friends.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I spoke to the manager and the owner who's name is Sanjeev, to book this restaurant for my son's 1st birthday party. Sanjeev confirmed we would have exclusive use of the restaurant as I had 12 kids from the ages of 1-3 years old running around. We arrived on the day of the party to find another booking of over 20 people. Sanjeev wouldn't come out of the kitchen and sent the managers to talk to us however when he finally came out he denied the fact that he had agreed exclusive use, implying we the customer were lying. He was rude and arrogant with an 'not my problem attitude'. I now had 20 adults and 12 kids and half a restaurant!!!! This totally ruined my son's first birthday party as the restaurant was utter chaos and his idiot of a owner still wouldn't admit he took the other booking knowing full well I had asked it to be private party. I was and still am very upset by this as I was expecting the full use of the restaurant. This place is owned by amateurs who have no clue how to treat people! If they couldn't accommodate then don't agree to it,you shouldn't mess with people's feelings!

I will never step foot in here again nor will I order from them, and they do not deserve the local business from the high street. As far as I am concerned he will never be able to give me back my son's first birthday.

1  Thank Reena S
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My wife and I visited this restaurant on a busy Saturday night in October. We hadn't booked and asked for a table for two. After some discussion they managed to accommodate us quite quickly. The staff here were very friendly and made us feel welcome.

The restaurant is tastefully decorated throughout and although I never visited them, my wife said the toliets were very nice & clean, which is always a good start.

The menu, although quite small in comparison to most Indian restaurants, is varied with some nice dishes. I would of liked a few more chicken & lamb dishes to choose from, I seem to remember there were only a couple of each on the menu, but that's just my personal opinion.

Prices for the dishes were very reasonable, I hope it stays that way. Wine prices were not extortionate either.

We ordered the chilli mogo as a starter to share, it arrived quickly and was very nice. The chutneys that were put on the table were a great accompaniment.

After this was demolished, our chicken and lamb main courses arrived together with the naan we ordered. The curries were flavourful although we ordered both to be on the spicy side and both lacked the level of heat we were expecting, again that's a personal preference.

One thing I would point out is that the lamb dish was a good size (not the best portion I've ever received but ok) however the chicken dish lacked the same portion size. Consistency of supply needs to be addressed here, both dishes should have been supplied with equal meat pieces.

We were told that the naan was made from scratch in the kitchen, however when it arrived it was not piping hot or soft and fluffy, as if just removed from a tandoor and placed on our plate. I assumed they were made in advance and it showed. How difficult would it be to make these to order?? It would greatly improve the experience in my opinion, especially for someone like me who generally doesn't order rice.

All in all a good experience was had. £35 for shared starter, 2 meat dishes, 3 naan and a bottle of wine is not over the top and hopefully will stay at that price point. Attentive staff and good well priced food will draw me back to this place. Hopefully the owner reads reviews and may address some of the points raised. I suppose there is only one way to find out.

1  Thank GTID