“I only rate this hotel "terrible" as there is no option for "disgusting".”
Review of Wimblehurst Hotel

Wimblehurst Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Horsham
England
“I only rate this hotel "terrible" as there is no option for "disgusting".”
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Should have anticipated trouble, when hotel reception failed to send acknowledgement of reservation as I had requested. Alarm bells should have sounded when reception insisted on payment before even showing us our room.

To be fair, there is an air of cleanliness when first indoors and in one's room, but closer investigation proves otherwise. The window does indeed look out over the large garden (really just some mown grass), but includes a close view of the flat roof immediately outside, possibly over the dining room. This flat roof had accumulated an interesting collection of cigarett butts, a paint tin, and part of the window itself, which had obviously fallen off and been left to languish amongst its discarded companions. Checking the hotel handbook was a health hazard in itself: it was filthy and stained with smudgy brown fingerprints, the remains of chocolate I hope. By the time I found the dirty cups, the old cup rings on the painted surfaces, and someone else's biscuit crumbs on the "hospitality" tray, I knew I should complain to the staff. Should I or should I not? I was worried about receiving a serving of spit in my breakfast coffee, so confined myself to a bit of a whine to the girl at reception.

The so-called "en-suite facilities" are in reality nothing more than a cupboard and, to use the hand basin, you have to keep the door open into the bedroom. There were fingerprints all over the en-suite walls, tiles were cracked and grubby, the loo was stained, and there was someone else's rubbish in the waste bin.

The mattresses (twin room) were relatively comfortable, and the linen looked clean. However, there was no valance round the bed bases which perhaps is picky, but surely a nice addition to any bed, and the pillows were vile, manmade fibre things of different thicknesses, with just a single pillowcase over. No sign of that attempt at comfort a pillow protector brings. The same applies to the quilts and their covers. It was a stifling hot day and night. Despite the fact that some people prefer manmade fibres perhaps due to allergies, only natural fibres (cottons, linens, feathers, wool) allow skin to breathe. Sleeping on Wimblehurst beds is like trying to sleep in a plastic bag. There is an electric fan, but it is a weakly affair, and noisy to boot.

The gentleman referred to elsewhere on these reviews made his appearance at breakfast. He was surly and did not manage one smile. On account of my moan to reception the previous night, my husband and I went for cereal and toast. Don't ever order toast at the Wimblehurst. There is no choice of brown, white, or wholemeal, and you will be served a toast rack full of hard, chewy toasted white sliced which is either from a very stale loaf or left over from the previous day's breakfast and re-heated. The packet butters and jams were stale and, worse, had been left on the table in the sun. You may imagine the effect this had when they were opened.

The tariff at this hotel/B&B is relatively modest, but this should not mean low standards. It should be well within budget to replace a broken tile, wipe surfaces, empty wast bins, and make comfortable beds. Until last year, I ran my own little B&B. I'd have been mortified if I had been this careless of my guests' comfort. Mistakes and omissions are one thing, but standards at the Wimblehurst are indeed worse than "terrible." They are "disgusting." I agree with the reviewer who thought it was pointless to write and complain. He is right to say it would be better to sleep in the car.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
Reviewed 11 March 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on business and was very impressed with the friendly staff and the good breakfast in the morning.

Thought I woulld write a quick review as I think some of the negative comments in other peoples reviews are wrong!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 11 March 2010

Great place to stay if you want a bit of outdoor space to relax in! Children were able to run around without a worry about them at all! They had a blast so would definitely recommend this to any family thinking of staying in the area!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Gem4495
Devon
Reviewed 23 February 2010

The rooms were small, but fairly clean. The beds uncomfortable. No where to put folded clothes.
Breakfast was unpleasant - served on stone cold plates, the butter was off and on investigation noted it was all out of date. Whilst we were eating breakfast we could hear the Asian gentleman expectorating & spitting. This gentleman was also unfriendly & we felt that we were rather an inconvinience to him.
It is only a 2 star but still £75 a night.
We were glad to get out of there.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Wonderworm

Travellers are raving about these Horsham hotels

St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2009

Having read the four previous reviews of this hotel, two of which were damning and two were in praise, we wondered what the reality would be.
We had to visit our family at Pease Pottage, and Horsham seemed to be the nearest place to stay. We could only find this hotel or the Premier Inn, both being a similar price when adding in breakfast at the Premier, so we plumped for the small family hotel.
The Asian staff at reception and in the restaurant were welcoming, helpful and polite, and the guest lounge was comfortable. Our twin room, on the first floor, was very small, as was the ensuite shower/wc/basin. There was a large damp or replastered patch on the ceiling, a bit of muck under the beds and the terylene curtain at the window would benefit from a wash to freshen it up. There was no dresser, so nowhere to put folded clothes, but a wardrobe area to hang jackets, dresses and the like. The twin beds were full 3 ft size, clean and reasonably comfortable. Breakfast next morning in the large restaurant was quite good, if a little limited in choice.

Overall it was, as rated, two star. At £75 per night we thought it was very much overpriced for the facilities provided, and a bit of investment to freshen the place up - it is rather sixties/seventies in style and decor - would not go amiss.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Birmingham
Reviewed 20 August 2009

Wimblehurst hotel is a lovely hotel. It’s peaceful, clean and brings out the best of Horsham. The staff are most definitively helpful and friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and will without a doubt return.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Birmingham002
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Lacking more opportunities to chose from, my parents stayed here for 3 nights. After reading the bad review I was quite concerned how the stay would turn out to be. First good thing was that we could arrange while booking online not to have breakfast in the hotel and that reduced the cost of the room!
The staff was average, the room quite small but overlooking the extremely quiet garden where my parents could even watch foxes during the early morning.
The TV channels are limited and the lights were quite dark which made reading difficult but all in all we weren't disappinted.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horsham
Travelodge Horsham Central Hotel
Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Roundabout Hotel
Roundabout Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Chiltington

Been to Wimblehurst Hotel? Share your experiences!