“Great, but not Luxury.”
Review of Coach House

Coach House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Horsham
Coach House
Ranked #13 of 15 Horsham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed here for a two-week period in September as I was working in the area. They gave me a great deal because of my extended stay, and so for £40 a night, I wasn't expecting much. The first room they gave me upon arrival was the furthest away stable from the main building, down a sort of alleyway. I wasn't entirely impressed, and as a girl on my own, I would rather have stayed closer to the main building. Eventually, they changed my accommodation over to a more close-by room, which was fine - but since they advertised wifi, I did expect to get it in my room also (which wasn't the case). The first week was pleasant enough, they replenish your biscuits and tea without fail everyday and anything you need is catered for. The continental breakfast was a little hit and miss, sometimes you got pastries, quite often I didn't. However, it was nice enough and the food was great. There does seem to be quite a lot of different people who work there, which means that quite often the fact you are a guest isn't communicated. The 'stables' accommodation is positioned right next to a loud road, with cars, tractors and motorbikes going past until the early hours.

The second week, I was moved to a room inside the main building (which meant I had wifi, great!) however I wasn't expecting it to be quite so noisy. I know it's a pub, but it is a relatively quiet pub at that and the notices state that the building closes at 11.30PM. On my first night in the new room, loud music (and I mean LOUD music) was played right through from 10PM until 2AM - it was so loud in fact that the room shook. I had to ring up the main building to politely ask when the music would stop. Sure enough, the music stopped straight away and I was apologised to the next morning and promised it wouldn't happen again. Apparently they had forgotten I was staying. The next night however, the music continued until 1AM and again, I had to ring and complain. I wouldn't normally mind, however as I was working (and getting up rather early), loud music meant that I couldn't sleep properly - and in the end, I just had to resort to going to bed before the music started, so I could get as much sleep as possible.

All in all, my stay was okay. It served a purpose but in my opinion, there are far too many people working there and not much communication. The food is lovely, and they did do me a great deal - however it's on a very noisy road, and music being played until the early hours just isn't acceptable. The majority of the experience was great, but unfortunately there were a few mishaps that could have perhaps been reprimanded. Maybe offering something complimentary for the two consecutive complaints would have been a little better?

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We stayed here for just one night, and trust me readers, thank goodness it was only for one night! The room had been reserved on recommendation by a third party not a million miles away. We paid a deposit to secure the room.

On arrival we were greeted (?) by a young lady who worked behind the bar and were asked if we "had already filled out a form" Uhmm, no! We'd just arrived and no paperwork was completed by us.. Anyway, she eventually found her "form" and asked if we were having breakfast the following morning - and if so, which was it to be; full English or Continental. We opted for the full English and thus form completed! She then proceeded to ask us how we were going to pay and said that she wanted payment there and then. I queried as to why she needed payment now, instead of on departure, which is normally the case. “This is what we do” she explained. Cut a long story short, we paid and she showed us to our room {9} in the stable block.

It was cold and uninviting without any ambience whatsoever. It didn't have any windows as such, just one large skylight velux type window. The room stank and it hadn't been properly cleaned for ages as there was thick dust everywhere; on the light switches, on the headboard, bedside lights & wall lights, there were dirty cobwebs all around and more thick dust around the edges of the carpet. It was all pretty grim.
On inspecting the bathroom one of the glasses was quite revolting and still had lipstick on it from a previous guest. I immediately took the glass to the bar, where the girl who checked us in, gave me a clean one and apologised. I recall mentioning to her to that the room was very dirty and certainly not up to standard or value for money.

Had it not been for the fact that there was no other accommodation to be had anywhere in the area due to an event at Goodwood, we would have turned round and walked away. but as it happened, we felt it best to stay and at least get a good night's sleep instead of driving round for hours trying to find somewhere else.

The bathroom was disgusting, and again as in the bedroom, there was thick dust everywhere, cobwebs on the ceiling, the loo brush was utterly revolting and could have done with a new replacement { after all, they are cheap enough!!} and there was black grunge behind the bath taps and in the corners. {one consolation, the water was hot! so that was some sort of result!} The shower didn’t work properly either.
But readers – it gets worse!!

When we got into bed, we could feel the mattress springs through the mattress cover - it was most uncomfortable to say the least. My husband went nuts, and after saying a few choice words, decided to try and alleviate the problem by folding the thick bedspread in half. We put this on the mattress to stop the springs from hurting our backs.
The duvet was only just big enough to cover the double bed, and we spent most of the night pulling and tugging at it – so much for a good night’s sleep!! The grubby duvet itself had also seen much better days, and most people would have thrown it away by now, or at best, use it for a dog's bed... The spare pillow – minus case – was totally covered in sweat stains and didn’t smell too good either, so that stayed it in the small wardrobe!

I felt as if we were in a smelly prison cell without windows, but then thinking about it, prison cells have more and much better facilities than we had in our OVERPRICED DIRTY SMELLY room.

The following morning at breakfast we asked to see the manager. He said he hadn’t been there very long and that he was a stand-in as the lady who owns this place was away on holiday. We asked if he had inspected any of the rooms, he replied that he hadn't {yet} but that he would do so right away. He had been told about the dirty lipstick glass in the bathroom and mentioned that he’d been told that we had 'some issues'. We asked for a refund, but were told that he wasn't able to accommodate this, however, he said that he would discuss it with the owner, who would - he promised - be in touch with us about it when she came back from her holiday . He was full of apologies and felt quite embarrassed about the whole situation.

The ONLY saving grace was that the breakfast was very nice, eggs & bacon cooked to perfection by a very friendly Polish chef.
Our breakfast table however, hadn’t been cleaned properly, it was sticky and there were still remnants of crumbs and salt sprinklings from the previous occupants, probably from diners the night prior.

On our return home I called the people who recommended this venue {see my review of the Eight Bells where we stayed the night before and which was 100% in all aspects} and related our experiences and shortcomings about this horror venue by ways of a constructive feed back.

The lady owner of the Coach House didn't contact us as we were promised, so we took the bull by the horns and called her . She told my husband that she knew nothing about our dreadful experiences, and said she would "look into it" and call us back. But guess what? No return call was received.
I then called the venue again a few days later and spoke with the gentleman to whom we complained on the day of our departure. He remembered us and went on to mention that he’d received a similar complaint since ours. He suggested that we should be refunded half of our money, to which I replied that a full accommodation refund would be much more appropriate considering the circumstances and level of our complaint . He promised that the lady owner would contact us the following day.

No calls were ever received, but after calling them SIX times and further unfulfilled promises of a return call, I called them once more, and spoke with the gentleman whom we’d spoken with before. He mentioned that a cheque was being posted to us that day and once again offered us his apologies. I was told that he too was fed up with the whole situation there and that there were various other problems.

Our cheque for the full accommodation refund did arrive the following day together with a note of apology.

In my opinion, this is a dreadful place. The lady owner would be better suited in another profession other than in the service industry. She hasn’t got a clue what the word ‘service’ means and certainly has no concept about how to do and maintain good customer relations. I found it incredibly rude of her not to return any of our calls.

Stay at this place if you must – but you have been warned.
I have attached some pictures, but they’re not very good due to the bad lighting

Room Tip: Don't even bother!!