“Lovely food, friendly service”

The George and Dragon
Ranked #9 of 173 Restaurants in Horsham
Price range: US$5 - US$29
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The George & Dragon is a family owned and run 17th century country free house pub in the hamlet of Dragons Green, set in the beautiful Sussex countryside. The pub is child-friendly and dog-friendly. It has a large secluded garden with a bouncy castle for children in the Summer months, and a roaring inglenook fire roaring in the Winter months. We serve a range of real ales, lagers and wines. Our food is locally sourced and freshly cooked. We have two quirky king size bed & breakfast rooms in a converted stable. In May 2015 Jon Ewers and Simon Corby took over the management of the pub.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Both meals delicious, garden area refurbished and looking lovely, friendly staff. Recommend this nice pub.

3  Thank Sophie B

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Been here a number of times, and have always enjoyed my meal, location, and the service. Some meals can be a little steep, but i know the price when i order it, but i normally choose what i will have from the online menu before i book. I must admit, i'm not a dog lover, and i'm not overly keen on having dogs around me when eating, but again, i know that its a dog friendly pub before i go, and taking this into account, i will be going back again.

1  Thank holiday93
Reviewed 8 June 2018

My wife and I booked lunch today with Kiera for us and our daughter and granddaughter at this pub for the first time. As it was our granddaughter’s second birthday and my wife’s birthday tomorrow; a double treat!

We wanted somewhere fairly local, child friendly, a garden and a decent pub menu, so we booked it based on this and on the recent positive comments.

Regrettably we had a dreadful experience and wanted to warn others:

1. Dogs roaming around including a pub dog (or more?). We all in our party love dogs, but we found dog poo on the grass near the Children’s Play area.
2. Dogs were continually begging, pestering us and rubbing around our legs whilst we sat in the garden at our table trying to eat our meals.
3. More dog mess was seen in the garden as we were leaving.
4. The children’s play area had a dangerous lip around it and a rung was missing from the ladder. It all looked very tired and clearly health and safety issues are a concern.
5. The sunshade umbrella over the first garden table chosen, failed to open as it was broken.
6. Tables were not cleaned and tissues that appeared to have been chewed by a dog, strewn around the seats and a dog bowl under the table.
7. The highchair requested when booking the table over the phone with Kiera was not offered again to us and had to be requested.
8. Despite being child friendly, no children’s menu was provided. Heather said on arrival that as their portions were so large, the custom was that adults would ask for an additional plate and share their food with the child. If there was a vast menu this might have worked to a degree, but this was clearly not the case. Later Kiera said she thought Heather had mentioned to me that they provided small plates for children, but this is not mentioned on the menu and was not suggested. We, like most people, would gladly have paid a reason sum for a plate of food for our granddaughter.
10. The steak I chose had no price on the menu. Two or three prices were suggested by the staff and then I was told it would be just under £20 + £1.50 for a sauce! I was told the portions were generous and the meat was from an excellent local source, so I tried it.
11. My wife ordered the mint risotto and my daughter reluctantly ordered a George Burger as she felt that this might also appeal to her daughter the most. She also requested a portion of peas. By all having something different, we thought we should be able to give our granddaughter something.
12. The food was served to us. Kiera popped back briefly after a moment or two to ask if everything was OK? I did not answer her as I was trying to cut away all the gristle around my steak which was served to me in an unattractive pile on a cold plate.
My wife and daughter politely smiled at her whilst they were starting their meals.
13. I would estimate about a third of my steak weight was left on my plate as it was inedible. It was served on a cold plate.
14. Unfortunately the burger was very greasy and was a struggle to eat.
15. My daughter mentioned to me on our way home that the high chair was dirty and she sat with her daughter on her lap.

The staff Kiera and Heather were both polite and helpful and addressed some of the issues above and someone cleared away the dog mess.

I mentioned some of the above before we started our meal whilst chatting to one of the joint owners by the newly built Shepherd’s Hut. He apologised for what we had experienced.

When I went to settle the bill, I discreetly mentioned to Kiera most of the above issues.

Whilst the occasional apology was received for some points, she said:

1. There are other dogs in the garden apart from the pub dogs. (Presumably referring to the dog poo and worrying at our table)
2. Their kitchen was not big enough to provide a separate children’s menu!?
3. When she popped round soon after we started our meals, as I did not say anything to her then, I cannot complain now!
4. No comments were made about the other things.
5. She went away to get the bill and said she had not charged me for my pint of Harveys beer!

Ending on a positive note, the NZ SB wine I am told was superb and the risotto was tasty.

A pity that what should have been a very enjoyable experience was not very pleasant and certainly not value for money.

1  Thank GaryTandS
JonEwers, Owner at The George and Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2018

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your review, Im sorry your experience with us wasn't up to your standards......

In reply to your comments above:

1- We have a regimented routine of checking the garden at regular intervals. As we highlighted to you we are a very dog friendly pub and we get a lot of people who bring their dogs here which we actively encourage, however, unfortunately there are occasions where they do make a mess that we don't notice, neither do their owners. All three members of staff did apologise for this and the situation was quickly rectified as we always do.

2 - As far as dogs running around, again we are dog friendly, I asked you myself as did Kiera and Heather if that would be an issue and you quite clearly said NO it wasn't, you liked dogs, this however didn't seem the case when one dog tried to walk past your table and I saw you just about to kick it, maybe not such a dog lover......???

3 - Thank you for highlighting the faulty play equipment, again we check this on a regular basis, therefore unfortunately recent damage. This matter is being dealt with and we have cordoned the equipment off temporarily until it has be fixed.

4- tables not cleaned, what a false accusation, one napkin had blown off a nearby table, easily done. Dog bowl under the table, next too yes, again we are dog friendly.

5 - As was explained when you made the booking a table would be reserved inside for you and your high chair would be at the table as it was. We do not reserve tables outside as we also explained, and as soon as you decided where you wanted to sit Heather very quickly brought it out for you and it was clean as they always are. If however it was not up to your standards, you could have easily mentioned it as you did with everything else and we could have cleaned it again for you.

6 - We do not have a specific children's menu, but as was explained to you we do offer smaller portions at a reduced price. Some people however do choose to share a main meal with a child if they have a small appetite, which was also offered as a solution. You however chose to ask for peas which you said would be all she would eat and we gladly provided (free of charge.)

7 - As far as prices for steak, 2 or 3 prices, really?? This was most definitely NOT the case, we only have one price as you were quite clearly told.

8 - Relunctantly ordered a burger....???? We have many menu options all local sourced and freshly cooked, really not need to reluctantly order anything......

9 - After the food was served we always do a table check to make sure everything is ok, it is at this point that we can rectify any issues anyone may have, you chose not too. The point of which you come to pay the bill is not the time to say everything was wrong especially when all the plates were clean as you had finished it all, we can not rectify anything at this point. This just rings true of someone who is just after free meals!!!!

10 - A third of your steak inedible and poorly presented on a cold plate??? Our chefs are meticulous in making sure everything is served on a hot plate as was the case here. I saw the plate that came back, it was just a thin slither of fat which was around the edge which gives it flavour, being such a food critique I would have expected you to know this.... Also, greasy burger, really what do you expect when you've got melted cheese on a burger, again though an empty plate so it couldn't have been that bad.....??

It would appear on this occasion there wasn't a lot we could do for you, both Kiera and Heather (who incidentally found you rude and intimidating) did their very best to rectify and deal with any issues you had, Im sorry we did not meet your expectations...

Ending on a positive note, Im so pleased your party liked the NZ SB, it is a very nice wine......

Kind regards the happy dog friendly G&D team

Reviewed 4 June 2018

Nice looking pub with friendly staff. We had the sharing board with ham etc and we did not feel there was a sufficient amount of food for two people......plus it was far too expensive for such for a tiny plate!

Dear AJB,

Thank you for your review, your comments about the pub and acknowledging the great team we have hear, much appreciated.

In answer to your comments about the the sharing board, we use the best of local produce which is not cheap hence the price but a fantastic product. The boards are designed and priced per person and portions and price reflect this, hence why you obviously found it too small for two people.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope you will enjoy some of our other great menu choices....

Best wishes, The G&D team

Reviewed 2 June 2018

First let me say the two stars is harsh because your pub is lovely, staff wonderful and food excellent. So what’s the problem? You have just built a new outside seating area which had music blasting out. The main charm of your pub is the serene countryside and peace and quiet. We come here often. But not if you have music blaring or frankly any outside music at all. When the most precious thing now is peace and quiet why would you want to change that? Everyone I know locally to Coolham etc says the same. Please ditch your new sound system.

Dear Thames link,

Firstly thank you for commenting on our lovely pub, great staff and fantastic food, very much appreciated.

Secondly, over the two days you refer too we had music, not blasting out though, just enjoyable.... we are a very musically orientated pub and always have been, difficult situation, one person complains about it so we turn it off, another dozen complain because you have turned it off, we even had requests on the day in question (which we did not adhere too) to turn it up..... it is really hard to keep everyone happy all the time although we will not stop trying.....

We regularly have live music and recorded music in the rear garden but if you prefer a little piece and quiet or it is too much we have a very peaceful front garden to enjoy, the rear garden is also large enough to fine a quiet spot if you wish...

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes, the G&D team.