“Absolutely Horrendous-Avoid!”

Best Western London Ilford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Ilford
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have stayed here as a family regularly over the last few years and have only ever had one problem over this time, which was dealt with satisfactorily. However, our latest stay here will be our last. We were shown to our room at 1pm and at this time, the fire alarm was ringing. We returned after a full day in London hoping for a full nights sleep. However, throughout the night from 12.30 am until 3.30 am, we were kept awake by the fire alarm going off-5 times to be exact. At no point did staff ensure we were safe-we did not see or hear from any members of staff. I did ring reception, and, after being told all 5 times were false alarms due to a faulty system, that the hotel manager would speak with us before we left. On check out, we explained that we would appreciate a partial refund on the room rate we had paid, for the inconvenience of the fire alarm being faulty and repeatedly sounding in the middle of the night. We were told this was not possible and that the fire alarm was set off due to people smoking in a room, despite being told several times smoking was not allowed. The manager, Sasha, then went on to explain it had been difficult to ask the smokers to leave in the middle of the night! I then asked to see the hotels fire safety certificate only to be told this was a secret document and she was not allowed to show it to anyone!? We were shocked by this reply. We left totally amazed by how a hotel can actually operate under such circumstances and treat loyal customers in this way.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Arrived late in the afternoon, job to park, went into reception and then was asked to pay again explained it was already paid for, ok, went over to the "annexe" eventially found my room, very dismall dark, one small window looking out on to steps, shower room smelt bad like old soap/drain problem very musty, shower dripped all the time, had to run the basin tap for 4 mins to get hot water every time, sharp screws sticking up on the floor between shower room/bedroom, very uncomfortable sitting in the room, received a booklet from hotel saying they had a bar, on enquiring found out to have no bar or lounge, full english breakfast without bacon, stayed 4 nights had trouble parking 3 nights, VERY DISAPOINTED INDEED. WILL NOT STAY AGAIN

Room Tip: Do not stay in the annexe.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter B
Hotel M, Manager at Best Western London Ilford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Sir/Madame,
First I would like to thank you for your time and your feedback!

I am truly sorry to hear that the room was not up to your expectations. Be aware that the above mentioned issues were raised to our Maintenance Department and we will do our best to avoid such unsatisfactory room conditions in future.

In addition I would like to apologise in regards with the miscommunication regarding the bar and payment method. Please note that I personally make sure that all staff are aware to give correct and exact information in every case.

Lastly, kindly note that in order to meet each and every individual taste and preference, we are trying to prepare the breakfast as tailored as possible.

Please contact me further if you wish to stay once again with us, so we can change the impression you had from this stay.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Booked into hotel to attend a graduation on entering room it was dark and small to be honest it should be used as a single room not a double it was clean but I noticed a banana skin in bin ( petty I know ) but if room had been cleaned properly I wouldn't of mentioned it there was also someone else's perfume left in room bathroom was a tight squeeze couldn't have bedroom window open as too much noise outside so it felt very claustrophbic breakfast for the amount of rooms ( there is an overspill hotel over the road which is only rooms) there are dining area is too small bacon was like a cooked spam no taste I asked for toast waited ten mins and none arrived so had to re ask then when it did arrive it was stale to me there wasn't much choice either I glanced at the menu in the room and noticed that the food was sourced from a local restaurant near by and prices were to me a little on expensive side having stopped in other best westerns I was greatly disappointed sorry but MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS ARE NEEDED

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simonanddeb

Dear Sir/Madame,
Thank you for your detailed feedback.

I am very sorry to hear you were not pleased with the room you were provided. Please note that our front desk will be more than happy to allocate you a different bedroom at any point of time during your stay.

Kindly inform the reception of any cleanliness issues you experience. I am sorry to see that you had some problems during your stay. Although this is not the usual feedback we get, your comment was brought to the attention of the head housekeeper and we will make sure it is not going to happen again.

I have noted your concern in regards to the breakfast room size. As it is a high season, breakfast gets very busy. We have extended the breakfast hours and added some nice benches and tables outside so that the guests can enjoy the breakfast in our back garden.

Again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. And I hope to welcome you once again in our hotel, so we can provide you with better service that will meet your expectations.

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

It's not management or the staff's fault this hotel just sucks.

First off, the room is about 8/10 ft. And with two people, its quite tight. (Room 53)
Wi-Fi is hit or miss
The street that the hotel is on is very busy, which would be ok if only you didn't have to have the windows open all night. It is impossible to sleep with people talking and going on all night. The street that the hotel is on is not the safest, don't travel at night unless drug dealers at the corner don't bother you.

There is no security to the hotel either. Anyone at any time someone could just walk right in with no card. Which wouldn't really matter because my key card didn't work half the time anyway.

Shower is very small. the breakfast is not very good as advertised. Yes it's free which is nice but don't expect anything other than crap coffee warm juice and mediocre food.

To travel to this hotel from the city you must take the central line to stradford then the rail to ilford. The best way to do this is with an all day card about £9 per person.

Staff is very nice and very accommodating but this hotel is a miserable stay and you should stay away.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madame,
Thank you for taking the time to send us this review.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you didn’t enjoy your stay to the fullest.
Kindly note that we provide rooms with different sizes and we would be pleased to offer you a more spacious room for your next stay.
Regarding the safety in the hotel, please note that the property is monitored with CCTV all the time and there is a person who checks the buildings so our guests will feel safe.
Please note that the breakfast is always prepared freshly in the morning and we are taking great care to provide our guests with food that will suit their needs.
As you rightly mentioned our staff are trying to provide the most accommodating and welcoming service indeed, so we would be more than happy to see you again in our hotel.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights (we're checking out shortly) so we could attend a family wedding in Walthamstow.
As an ex-Londonner I refuse to say this hotel is in London! Ilford is in Essex but you can get to Central London in about 30 minutes from Ilford Station (5 min walk away). However, if you get a late train back to Ilford take care as its a bit rough round here(!) but no nore than anywhere else in London.
When we arrived at the hotel we werr a bit baffled by the 2 different buildings and the parking at both was scarce (we did get a space but it wasnt outside the main building which panicked me a bit!) However, we stayed in the main building and was greeted by lovely female reception staff (Elena i believe). All the staff here are very helpful and lovely and work really hard at breakfast. Ahhh breakfast...what a choice! Its rare you see olives and brie at a buffet breakfast in England! The choice was great with cereal, fruit, yoghurt, mini pastries croissants, eggs, sausages, hash browbs etc and the weirdest "bacin" ever! We think its turkey bacon but either way it was filthy!!
Now the room (19)- not much to say really! Clean and tidy but quite small for 2 adults. Bathroom was also clean but very small. At over 6 foot, I had trouble washing my hair in the shower cause Im rather long limbed! But the shower was lovely and hot!
The hotel is quite noisy and you can hear other peoples goings on but not too distracting. Oh and our window is a Velux type thing in the roof! Interesting!
All in all a good stay and the price (booked through another website) was very reasonable. Enjoy!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mesulina

Dear Sir/Madame,
Thank you for the time you took to send us the review!
I am really happy to hear that the service provided by our front desk and breakfast personnel met your expectations. In addition all of our staff are pleased to hear that you fully enjoy the breakfast variety we offer.
In regards with your notes about the insufficient space in the room, please not that as long as you bring it to the attention to our staff, we can offer you a room with bigger size.
Overall I am very thankful for your review and I hope to see you once again in our hotel.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Me and my partner have just arrived back from a 3 night stay here.
The hotel is in a great location in Ilford, a 5 minute walk from the train station which you can use to get you into Liverpool street in around 20 minutes. Some may say it is a little far from the centre of London but I personally would not want to pay the high prices for central London hotels!
The staff are very attentive and polite and breakfast is substantial and service is efficient.
The only reason I could not award the hotel 5 stars is because of the parking arrangements for the hotel. There are about 8 or so parking spaces outside the front of the hotel, which are free of charge, but it is a first come first served basis. When we arrived there weren't any, forcing us to street park on a single yellow line. The following morning just as we moved our car, a parking attendee was heading down the street and placing parking fines on street parked cars! So be aware! If you cannot use the hotels parking spaces, you may need to find alternative parking.
However, all in all a very enjoyable stay, thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at Best Western London Ilford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your time and feedback! I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us! Nice to see that accommodation and service met your expectations. I have noted your concern in regards to the lack of parking. Taking the opportunity please allow me to let you know that we have additional parking spaces free of charge with 2 minutes walk from the hotel. Please get the details from the reception next time and they will direct you there.

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

The hotel is rather far away from the city, but you can get there either by subway or by bus if you don't have a car, only walking distance. We parked our car and took the subway and bus going to London to avoid hassle of London traffic. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. They will guide you to tour London. The hotel offers good breakfast. If you happen needing some foods or snack at night, don't hesitate to ask, the staff will get it for you in the kitchen. I got that so I know. Free internet around the hotel. The room size is sufficient for Europe standard.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at Best Western London Ilford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for a wonderful review. I am glad to see that the hotel location suited your needs and staff has gone extra mile and provided you with some snacks during the evening time!
I hope we will see you again in the nearest future!
Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilford
Best Western Greater London Hotel
Lucky 8 Hotel
Lucky 8 Hotel
#2 of 14 in Ilford
Ibis Budget London Barking

Been to Best Western London Ilford Hotel? Share your experiences!