“Good value for a budget hotel”
Review of St. Georgio Hotel

St. Georgio Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Ilford
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Stayed at The Georgeo Hotel one Saturday for a lad’s weekend paid £65 per room inc breakfast.

The hotel was described as “brand new” however this was not the case, my room was very dated although it was clean, but a few stains on the carpet.

The dining room is also described (on laterooms) as “St Georgio Hotel cooks you a full English breakfast served in the modern, light dining room” again this is not true; it is dated with the wallpaper peeling off! The breakfast was a buffet style very average & limited choice.

Also one big problem was when we arrived back the place was locked up! We had to wait ages while the security found a key holder, admittedly it was late but surely every hotel has a 24hr reception!?

As many people has said the hotel is above Faces nightclub so is loud however we left there at closing time so this was no problem for us!!!!

I would stay again but purely for the location (right next door to Faces nightclub)

They do need to give a more accurate & honest description on latrooms of this place.

Room Tip: Avoid the front on teh hotel
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for St. Georgio Hotel

Reviewed 6 December 2011

This hotel was literally just a place for my husband and I to put our heads at night, we did not spend much time in our room except for sleeping.

The good:
-Excellent location - about 30 steps from the Gants Hill station (central red line into london)
-Clean
-Maid made up the room every day
-Lots to do in the area
-Safe in the room
-Staff was super friendly and helpful

The bad:
-Continental breakfast was pretty disgusting.
-Rooms are very small. no places to put the suitcases on the floor, only to stand upright, no choice but to unpack
-The shower was ridiculously small, made shaving your legs nearly impossible
-No air conditioning (travelled in september) - couldnt sleep with the window open because of the noise from the street. Reception offered me a fan, it didnt work.
-Excessive noise from the degenerate drunks at the clubs below. I thought people were exaggerating, they were not.

If you like hanging out in a room, enjoy shaving your legs, this is not the hotel for you. It was ok because of the location, but it was just average at best.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank fefe1979
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Stopped here with 2 work colleagues and was initially very impressed. There is a limited amount of free parking behind the hotel and a smooth check in.

The rooms are modern and mine had a kingsize bed. The room was spotless, as was the bathroom. Tea and coffee, complimentary toiletries and a multi channel flat screen TV. All rooms have a safe too (set your own security code)

Breakfast is served from 7.30am and is on a serve yourself buffet basis. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, beans, tomatoes. Toast, tea, coffee, cereal, juice, cheese, hard boiled eggs. I've had better quality, but all was perfectly edible.

Sadly the same cannot be said for all the meals on offer in the evenings. On the plus side, all meals are very cheap, however the quality of some were dreadful. Steak pie and chips was fine. Cumberland sausage with mashed potatoes was good too. However the chicken curry was lousy (a cheap ready made sauce that was distinctly lacking in flavour, but nice basmati rice). Worst though were the pizzas we ordered on our final night. These were pre made budget thick crust pizzas. Worst of all they were soggy as they had been "cooked" in a microwave and barely warm in the middle.

The bar was nice if a little expensive....no draft beer. .... half pint bottles £3 each. complimentary peanuts and popcorn was a nice touch.

Some of the rooms are above a nightclub, but while we were there it appeared to only open thurs - sun night. Expect a little noise, if you are in a front facing room.

You will struggle to get wi-fi in the rooms, but there is good free access in the lounge , bar and foyer areas.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor and at rear of hotel will be quietest
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I stayed at the St. Georgio for 2 nights in August 2011. The hotel was clean and close to where I need to be for the 2 days I was in Ilford. It is a few minute walk to the tube station.

I booked a room for a single. Tip – ask for a room that doesn’t face the street if you are a sensitive sleeper. The noise from the street is loud. The room was on the small side (I had expected this though; most rooms in Europe are smaller than the US). There were the appropriate toiletries in the bathroom. The room also featured a decent sized wardrobe (but no dresser), enough outlets to charge electronics and decent lighting.

There is a nightclub that has an entrance next to the hotel. I think that is why when I checked in, I was told that I was not permitted guests in my room and that I could “entertain” them in the lounge. I have never encountered this before. A little strange, well to me.
The front door to the hotel is also locked at night and the receptionist unlocks it to let you in. Not sure what time this happens, as I normally got back to the hotel after midnight.

Due to the tube work in preparation for the Olympics, I was not able to utilize the tube to get to Paddington, which is another reason I booked this hotel – the close proximity of the tube. It is £30 for a taxi to Paddington if you are planning to take the HEX to LHR.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant and there is a lounge onsite that offers free wifi. The reception desk will provide the information if you ask. I didn’t eat breakfast there, though I did grab a cup of coffee one morning.

All in all, not a bad visit. It suited my needs for my visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was a bit apprehensive about staying here after reading all the negative reviews but I needn't have worried.
Stayed here with a group of 9 friends (some of whom are used to 5 star luxury and can be very fussy!) and all 5 rooms we booked were fine! Very clean and perfectly adequate for our stay.
My only complaint would be the noise outside from the nightclub next door but as we visited the nightclub next door (Faces) we didn't get in until late anyway so it didn't really bother us too much!
Good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The hotel is right above 2 local disco's so the noise makes it impossible to sleep. The rooms are very simple. They advertise to have airco in all the rooms, but that's not true.
Sleeping at the back is no good either (we tried that the second night). At 6 in the morning they empty the glass trays and at 7 they come to collect the garbage which gives a lot of noise for half an hour and a horrible smell.
Breakfast was very simple. No fresh bread, only cheese and ham to put on your toast.
The staff at the reception speaks very poor english.
The distance to London with the subway is 45 minutes (to Leicester square or Piccadilly).
Never ever again!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kim_1205
stgeorgio, Manager at St. Georgio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Dear Kim, first of all we would like to comment on the air condition issue. We do not advertise that all of our rooms have air conditioning. This is listed in the facilities of the hotel and once a room type is selected then all the facilities of the room are listed. In regards with glass and waste collection unfortunately it is not something that we can regulate since it is the responsibility of third party contractors. Our receptionist personnel are fully trained and speak fluent english to assist all of our customers in regards with any queries. Please provide clarification in regards with the reception.
Our Breakfast is cooked fresh daily, and includes bacon, sausages, cheese, fresh vegetables, scrambled eggs, baked beans, white and wholemeal bread, different types of marmalade, chocolate and strawberry cakes , coffee and tea.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries,

Thank you.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

2 people staying for 2 nights 120 GBP that included breakfast, wouldn't pay any more than that, the staff were pleasant no complaints the room was small just two beds and a bathroom. there was a safe at no extra charge there was also an empty fridge that wasn't working. the hotel is about 30mins away from central london on the tube. the area around the hotel is like any average street you've seen a million times. few restaurants and bars and clubs just a few doors down, close your window at night or the club will wake you.

Room Tip: stay at the back of the hotel less noise
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilford
Best Western London Ilford Hotel
Park Hotel
#10 of 15 in Ilford
Travelodge London Ilford
Holiday Inn Express London-Newbury Park

Been to St. Georgio Hotel? Share your experiences!