“No thanks”
Review of The King William

The King William
Ranked #5 of 7 Wilmslow B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

Here for a wedding in the local area. Room beyond basic-mismatching cups, no toiletries and COLD water?!?
Nice staff from what we experiences but what the hell, this place is old, shabby, lacking in the most basic of things.
Next time ill go for the premier inn. £50/night? Avoid!

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Where do I start.....after visiting the King William a few times for drinks my friends and I decided to take up an offer we had seen on the internet for authentic Spanish tapas and sangria?
We phoned a few days before to book a table but on the night they didn’t know we had a reservation so we were made to sit by the door.

We started off with cheesy Nachos (is this Spanish??) which was covered in a bright orange cheese based slime that had far too many chillies mixed into and sprinkled over it. Now, I like spicy food but this was too hot.

The offer entitled us to 6 tapas dishes but we also ordered a few extras, all of which came smothered in hot chilli sauce that made every dish inedible. The Patatas Bravas was so hot we couldn’t eat it and one dish came accompanied with hair! We mentioned the issues to the waitress and she happily replaced the dishes.

At this point we hadn’t complained (not even about the hair). When we asked for the bill, it was brought to us by Basil Faulty (the Manager) who sat down next to us and didn’t hand the bill over he just said "that £11 each please girls" which we paid (we had already pre-paid a set amount, so this price was additional). It wasn’t until he left the table that we realised we over paid and my friend asked one of the waitresses if we could see our bill. In fact, we had not only been charged for the replacement of the dish with hair in him has automatically included a tip).

This is when what had been a pretty bad meal was turned into a terrible experience; the manager demanded we tell him why we wanted to see the bill and wouldn’t let us see it until we told him why. Eventually he gave us a copy and we pointed out we had been over charged and we had been charged for food that had hair in it. A 15 minute discussion followed which included us mentioned that some of the dishes were a tad bit spicy - his response “well only a few people have complained and it doesn’t matter because I had it for my tea and it was fine". We pointed out that every dish had been ruined by the addition of the spicy sauce, his response was "Its Franco’s Special Sauce” - there was nothing special about it! In regards to being over charged he agreed we had been but said there was nothing he could do and blamed it on the waitress.

We tried to suggest dishes could have chilli ratings or that the waitress could ask customers if they wanted 'Franco’s special sauce' but this was dismissed also with “you’ll be back; we have customers from all over the world’. We haven’t been back, not even for a drink.

This is such as shame because this is a lovely pub, we wondered if they were hoping that by adding all the chillies we would drink more, well we did just not at the King William!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank addicted2hols
Reviewed 7 May 2012

had really nice and tasty tapas in this nice little pub on a busy night been a few times now and food consistently good

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I organised a family meal in November 2011 and chose The King William as i heard that the tapas was the best in the area. Our family was extreemly pleased with the food and service provided by all staff.
However, we all felt very uncomfortable that a person sat close to the bar area appeared drunk and also had a very heated and loud argument with a female which could clearly be heard by ourselves and other diners.
After asking staff to speak with this person we were very suprised to hear that the people arguing were infact the landlord and landlady! I felt sorry that the staff were put in this position and do not want to hear arguing and swearing whilst dining with my family especially not from the owners of the establishment!
A family member stayed in one of the guest rooms and reported that it was very basic tv did not work and cleanliness was ok but not great.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Carole C
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Upon arrival you have to walk through the public bar. If there had been a piano playing it would have stopped!
The room was basic, which I expected for a B&B. However, I did not expect to find rogue hairs on the bathroom floor. The bedding was crumpled, which made me suspect that it was not freshly laundered and ironed. There was a long list of rules on the door which did not provide a welcoming feel. Although hard of hearing, I was very aware of the noise of passing traffic, which doesn't bode well for those of you with sharper ears!
Overall it was okay, I can't say better than that. I chose the King William as an alternative to camping. Next time I'll bring my tent!

• Stayed: May 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
The Wilmslow Lodge
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel
Alderley Edge Hotel
Alderley Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Alderley Edge

Been to The King William? Share your experiences!