“Staff really helpful here”

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Durham, United Kingdom
“Staff really helpful here”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I've just had a work training meeting here and I found the hotel fine.
The food is very good although i do find some things far too salty for my taste. I left my scrambled eggs at breakfast because they just tasted of pure salt and I noticed the egg sandwiches served later on at our buffet were the same. This isn't the first hotel I've had to comment on the salt though, I just wish the chef's would stop pouring tons of salt into everything they cook, it's not healthy!! The flapjacks served at afternoon tea were wonderful though.
Although this place isn't the most modern I found it clean and tidy, both my own room and the conference room. The staff are very friendly and really helpful which is one of the main reasons we'll be returning later in the year.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you found our hotel to be clean with helpful team members. I’m pleased that you also enjoyed your food a great deal despite some items being too salty. Your comments have been noted and will be shared with our restaurant team. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

John Rothwell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Polish first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I am used to staying at Holiday Inns on a regular basis across the UK, manily for business.

Used this hotel on the 3rd January as it is near the Airport, sadly not a great experience, the room we stayed in was not clean, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, lots of fluff around the edges of the carpet (either their hoover does not work or their housekeeping nevers bothers), but worse the bathroom floor was dirty.

As we arrived late we decided to keep the room (we should have asked to change), I would inform check out the next morning, but gues what three young staff on duty at 6.30am, young gent behind reception never asked "how was your stay or was everything OK". we left but vowed never to return, shame really as location is fine but the Hotel need TLC and is looking tired in the Rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
QMHManager, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for leaving feedback on your stay.

I’m very sorry to read that your recent stay with us was disappointing and various issues marred your opinion of our hotel. It is unacceptable to allow our guests to stay in a room that has not been properly serviced. Your comments have been noted for further consideration and I will ensure this does not happen again. I would appreciate the chance to restore your faith in the Holiday Inn Manchester Airport, please email your name, room number and date of stay to gm.himanchester@qmh-hotels.com.

Once again, I am sorry that your stay was not to the standard we strive to deliver to our guests.

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We stayed at Holiday Inn Manchester airport on Christmas eve 2012 in order to make it easy for us to catch an early flight on 25th at 8.20am. We made the booking from Holiday extras and confirmation came through immediately. We had booked a room, requested a baby cot, breakfast for two adults, and transfers the next day and of course parking for our car for five nights. We arrived into holiday inn at 9.45 pm. The receptionist (her name was Becky) said she didn't have any bookings in our name, eventually found a fax which had come through in the afternoon with our booking. I asked her several times if a cot was provided and if she had out us down for breakfast the next day and the answer was affirmative. The cot never arrived and when we went down for breakfast the next day our name wasn't on the guest list. However when we managed to explain that we had paid for breakfast the staff at that counter were happy to serve us. We rushed back to the room to pick up our bags to get the 7'o'clock shuttle only to find it never arrived. Our flight was at 8.20. We stood at the entrance of the hotel looking out anxiously waiting for the taxi. Again it was the same receptionist as the previous night. She didn't look at us or acknowledge our anxiety in the slightest. I understand it was Christmas day, but we book transfers and hotels relying that everything will go according to plan and if not the hotel should have a plan B. By 7.40 there was no sign of a taxi at all and guests who were waiting with us were all feeling sorry for us and trying to suggest alternatives, still the receptionist didn't show any signs of urgency or even try to reassure us or try to help us out. Eventually a taxi arrived only to drop off customers, but refusing to pick up new ones as the hotel did not give them the go ahead. When the hotel did give him the go ahead, our name was not the list of guests travelling to the airport in the 7'o clock shuttle. However the taxi man took pity on u and dropped us off. Thompsons who were flying us, were wonderful and let us get on the flight with barely minutes to spare. As you can see, our booking was not acknowledged, we didn't get a cot despite booking one, waited and waited and just put the baby between us, our names weren't on the breakfast list, despite asking to make sure it was on several times, our transfer did not arrive on time and the lady at the desk didn't bother to help us at all, when the transfer arrived our name wasn't on the transfer list. Even fellow guests showed more reaction than the receptionist. I understand it is not the receptionists fault if transfers do not arrive, but it is the hotel's responsibility to make sure something else is sorted. We travel a lot, and stay at various hotels, usually the front desk staff are very efficient and receptive to the guests thoughts. This is certainly a first. Above all every room the next morning had a little present from Santa for the children hanging on the door knob and our room didn't. Our children were asking us why and we didn't know the reason either., I am not the kind of person to shout the R word at every opportunity to get what I want, we are a very successful Asian couple, we are doctors and know we communicate politely to people as we value politeness and efficiency too.. I was very disappointed with this lady's behaviour and felt there was an element of racism there. I have never rated terrible for anything before, but I have been forced to here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Vidya V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Dear Vidya V

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Having stayed here last year and being happy with the service we booked again for this year and wasn't disappointed. Upon arrival a lovely young lady checked us in and gave us full details of hotel etc. She was lovely and a credit to Holiday Inn.!

Room was comfortable and clean, and a nice touch was the choice of pillows. Son was very happy with his bed, as normally in hotels he ends up with a camp bed, or uncomfortable sofa bed!.

We arrived about 1 ish in the afternoon and has a meal, and again another at about 7 ish, very pleased with meal, tasty and not too badly priced. The childrens menu was great value and a 3 course for about £7, which was free with an adult meal. Lovely relaxed atmosphere.
Once again breakfast was lovely, with a good selection.

Transfer to air port was great, pick up exactly on time, however transfer back was a bit confusing, phoned to say we had landed and luggage was on way off, however the luggage stopped, and we had a text to say car was on way, but we never saw this until we were out side departures, so car had been and gone and we had to phone again, so in all we probably had about a hour wait at 1 or 2 in the morning.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m glad you found your second stay with us to be just as good as the first with a comfortable room and great food. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel as soon as possible.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2012

my wife and I stayed here the night before we left for a long flight. The staff were very nice and helpfull, they did all they could to make for a nice stay. Hotel room was nice and clean bit small but we only wanted a bed for the night and shower in the morning. some of the hotel could do with a bit of modernising. the leisure facilities were free and very nice and relaxing. too only offer 30 mins of wifi for the guests is a bit stingy, when every hotel we have stayed you can access wifi for the time you stay. The parking is very convient and safe but the transfure going and returing got a bit confusing as the drivers did not know who they should pick up and on both occasions I had to insists the driver take us, he did have a mini bus that had four people in.
If you do not want to eat and drink in the Hotel then walk out of the Hotel turn left up the hill and there is a nice pub at the top called the Honey Pot that sells good food and drink at good prices. Would we stay again yes we would the place is clean frendley quite and conveient, the price for park and stay is keen not cheap just keen not out the way. they need too sort the wifi .

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jim h
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our team members to be friendly and professional at all times. I will pass your kind words onto them as they strive to deliver the best possible service to our guests. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 December 2012

The hotel didn't have my reservation so they gave me a free drink while they spoke to the booking agent. The bar was nice and cosy and very Christmas-y. The corridor and room were a little tired looking (cracks in the wall and the carpet looked old etc), the room was compact but it didn't really put me off. I meant to go to the pool but didnt get round to it. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was good. I got a good price for the room (it was last minute) so it was good value and i would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Tanya M
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments on your stay.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us to be good value for money despite the last minute booking. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future when you will get the chance to try our pool.

Peterborough, England
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We've stayed here before and not had any major problems.

On this occasion there was no problem with the service or the meal we had, albeit a little expensive for what it was, on the night before our flight. The room was acceptable, although quite small and the sliding bathroom door was a bit of a pain.

The parking arrangements were straightforward, and the transfer to the airport was fine.

However, the transfer on return was a nightmare. We called the number to be told someone would be there in a couple of minutes if we could get there. We went to the meeting point to see a car pull up as expected, but another couple were ahead of us. There was no way we'd get 4 people and luggage in that car, and the driver couldn't even confirm who he was supposed to be meeting. He said another would be along in a few minutes.

A mini-bus pulled up, but driver said he wasn't picking up. He then sat there whilst we waited in the rain. Another mini-bus turned up but then drove straight off. The driver of the original min-bus then started taking passengers, but when we gave him our name, he said we weren't on his list. Eventually he came back to us and said that since he was going to the Holiday Inn, and another couple weren't there, he could "squeeze us in" - we then set off with six of us in a bus with twenty seats!!

At the hotel, we thought we'd get a coffee before setting off on our drive home. It was about 08:00. We enquired at reception and they directed us to the restaurant where breakfast was being served, but they just wanted us to pay for a breakfast and we couldn't get just a coffee.

At that point we left.

Won't use this hotel again, at least until they change their transfer company.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mark_f_peterborough
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time with us.

I’m sorry to read that your stay with us was marred somewhat by your experience with our transfer service. As it is run by an external company, I cannot comment on the situation above except offer my sincere apologies as it should not happen to anyone waiting to return to our hotel.

I hope you do choose to return to us in the future.

John Rothwell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Etrop Grange
Etrop Grange
#67 of 118 in Manchester
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel

Been to The Airport Inn Manchester? Share your experiences!