“Noisy & very bad customer service”

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a two night stay, being part of a two-day meeting with colleges, with me travelling from Denmark to be the meeting leader throughout.
On the second night a large family group checked-in very late, being placed by the hotel staff just around my room on the second floor. For an hour up until midnight, the whole place was almost on fire. When it finally settled and became quiet, it was like a split second before all hell broke loose again at 2.50 am in the middle of the night. For almost an hour it was like this being at the runway of the Airport nearby. So noisy and you would think that the walls were made of paper!
I phoned the reception at 3.15 am to let them know very clearly about this. It was a 5 minute call. I was told that I would ofcourse be compensated the next day, as I aksed for the manager to deal with this straight away.
Nothing happened on the night. The noise went on until 3.40. Nobody did anything from the hotel reception.
Next day when I checked out during a break in our meeting, I was billed the full amount. No deduction. No nothing. Not even a mention of this horrible night. I told the reception desk that this is about the worst ever stay I have had, travelling 50 days per year. They were sorry, but no action what so ever was taken.
This has to go down as totally unacceptable. I decided not to do more, simply because I did not have time to do more due to the meeting I was the organizer of. I managed to make the day. The sales people attenting were satisfied. I left for the airport and fell asleep on my way to the airport.
By the way; food was fine, both breakfast and dinner in the evening.

Room Tip: Best of luck! Walls between rooms are made of paper.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am extremely sorry to read that your time with us was disappointing due to guests near you. I would like you to get in contact with me so I can discuss this further with us. Please email your name, room number and date of stay to gm.himanchester@qmh-hotels.com. I am pleased that the rest of your time with us including your meals was pleasant.

There are newer reviews for The Airport Inn Manchester

Reviewed 14 August 2013

3rd visit to hotel and didn't disappoint. Competently checked in by Ryan a friendly young male, who explained everything and had a coffee prior to going to room. Room clean and tidy, if i'm being picky carpets maybe could do with renewing, but no problem, and lovely white new fluffy towels, perfect.

As we booked with holiday extras, we had a deal that included 2 weeks on site parking, never worried about whether the car will be ok as so secure, hotel night before our flight and a meal. and airport transfer, think it cost about £120 so we were happy. Service at bar this time was a bit slow and had to go looking for staff, but food was very nice, had starter, main course and sweet. Must say that a stay here has become an extension to our holiday and we look forward to the food on offer.

transfer to airport excellent and on time, return transfer not as good as its not instant pick up and we had to wait maybe 20 mins this time, buy hey not too bad.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
QMHManager, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am overjoyed to read that you continue to enjoyed your stays with us and found everything to your liking each time. I hope to welcome you back soon for another relaxing break.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night last year and enjoyed the stay.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for so don't expect Egyptian cotton linen and a jacuzzi. Then again, for a hotel falling within a modest budget, we thought it was worth every penny.

Room itself was decent. Comfy bed, wardrobe, tv, shower etc. For an overnight stays, it ticked the boxes. We used the gym, sauna, steam room, swimming pool there before having a bit of a pamper (massage and Mrs had her nails done) which was good. It is not far from the centre of Wilmslow so we were able to take a taxi there for a meal and cocktails.

Had a decent night's sleep and top notch buffet-style full English in the morning. Can't fault it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that your enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking especially as you found us to be such good value for money. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Manchester on our last night of our UK trip in October. We had an early morning flight and wanted to stay close to the airport. Big mistake!

We had wanted a relatively inexpensive place to crash before our flight but in hindsight should have forked over a bit more money for a more comfortable stay.

Service was average at best. It took quite awhile to check in - the front desk staff were very slow with checking in the guests ahead of us. They charge for everything, including Wifi.

Our room was awful - the bed was SO uncomfortable. We can usually get a good night's sleep anywhere, but I would have rather slept on the floor. The bed was small, squeaky, and you could feel every single spring in the mattress. The room was not very clean at all. The hair dryer didn't work and it took about an hour for the housekeeping staff to bring a new one.

There aren't many restaurants nearby, so we decided to eat supper at the hotel. There was one other couple at the restaurant and several servers working, and yet it took about 10 minutes for us to even be acknowledged. Once we were seated, the server didn't return for so long that we finally gave up and ordered ourselves at the lounge.

Overall, stay away! Pay a little more for a more comfortable stay. I wouldn't even stay here for free - it's just not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarolynCyr

Dear guest,

I am very disappointed to read that your time with us in October was unsatisfactory. In the past ten months, however, we have spent a lot of time making improvements throughout the hotel.

Regardless, I would like to apologise for leaving our hotel feeling unhappy with your stay. I have taken your comments concerning the cleanliness of your room on board and I will be sure to discuss this with our housekeeping team.

I would appreciate the chance to restore your faith in our hotel and I invite you to contact me personally to discuss your review further. Please email your name, room number and date of stay to gm.himanchester@qmh-hotels.com. I look forward to hearing from your soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Unfortunately, I don't think this hotel has much going for it. It's location isn't the best. It's NOT on airport - so bear that in mind (there are at least 4 hotels that are ON airport). The reason I start with location is the horrendous taxi transfer scam - unavoidable and ridiculously expensive to get to/from the airport. It's NOT walking distance.

Outside first impressions, the hotel looks 'okay'. Nothing special. Inside, the place is crying out for a refurb. This hotel is always busy - and unfortunately this is another example of Holiday Inn neglecting their properties.

Once in our room we kept our socks on - the carpet was filthy and the whole place just shouts 1990. As the traveller photos reveal, it's old fashioned and well used.

If you want a special stay before or after a holiday - avoid this hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ste_Jay2012
QMHManager, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear guest,

I am very disappointed to read that your stay was not what it should have been with us.

I have taken notes concerning your issues with us and I will be discussing them at length with our team members to ensure no other guests leave us feeling dissatisfied.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here for one night as we had an early morning flight the day after. The booking included 8 days parking and we chose this hotel as the car remains at the hotel car park and isnt moved miles away as can happen at some of the on-site airport hotels. The hotel is situated in nice peaceful area and our stay felt much more relaxed than at the busier airport hotels. Our room was relatively small but basically we just needed a crash pad for a few hours so not a problem for us. The room was clean and the staff very courteous and helpful. Special mention to Andy on reception who was particularly helpful. The transfers to the airport were quick and easy. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your break with us.

I am very pleased to read that your enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed 1 night and parked car for 8 days, transfers included in the deal (I notice some customers seemed to be charged separately, so check the deal when booking). The hotel is in a good position for the airport and the transfers were smooth and trouble free (bit of a wait on the way back, but not bad). The room was fine, clean and not too hot, windows opening onto a nice lawned aspect. Comfy bed and pillows, bathroom was adequate for what we needed. It wasn't noisy during our stay. We went for a lovely walk through the woods opposite the hotel and then up to the perimeter of the airport and the fitness centre was nice too (used the pool for a pre holiday dip!). Food is pricey and whilst It was quite nice, it wasn't worth the price so if staying again then I'd eat elsewhere. The parking was a bit haphazard and I eventually found a space at the back but there didn't seem to be an obvious 'system'; presumably if you book parking there'd should be space but I'm not convinced those coming later than we would have found it easy... That said, of the hotels I have tried around the airport this is one I would come back to if driving rather than coming by train (I'd choose an on airport one in that case).

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jaypot

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am pleased to read that your stay with us was comfortable and just what you needed before your holiday. I’m happy you found your meal with us to be of a good standard and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

John Rothwell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport

Been to The Airport Inn Manchester? Share your experiences!