“So So”

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Staff are pretty good here.
Upon arrival they were very pleasant and helpful

The restaurant offers an ok meal package and the breakfast service is pretty good - buffet style. Again the staff are helpful

The hotel offers parking and transfer options which are cost effective.

The hotel is approx 10 minutes from the airport and a separate voucher service is used for taxis to and from the airport.

Otherwise it's a bit of a dump.

The rooms are small and dated and the complex needs a refurb as it seems to be stuck in the 70s

The outside of the hotel looks ok, but the interior is not nice

Overall I wouldn't choose this place again

Stayed: November 2013
JRothwell, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Philsword

Thank you for your review.

I have noted your comments about the condition of the property and I will share these with our franchise owners. Feedback such as this is important in our consistent drive to be a competitive hotel within the local area.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I'll start with the positives:
- location was good for my meeting
- staff were welcoming
- IHG status was recognised, albeit with the minimum

Unfortunately, these were outweighed by the negatives, the biggest of which is that stepping into your bedroom is like going back to the worst of 1970's England. The memories of no school due to strikes, the Austin Allegro and 3 TV channels come flooding back - ie everything that is bad. Just a few points:
- As stated below numerous times, the rooms are in desperate need of refurbishment: worn carpets, paint peeling, musty smell.
- Bedroom and bathrooms are tiny, not a patch on a Premier Inn
- My room was particularly noisy: banging pipes when someone ran a bath; long noisy corridor
- Shower useles for anyone taller than 5' 4". The shower head was at my eye level and I am only 6"
- Breakfast vey basic and overpriced.

Overall very disappointing and not really up to usual Holiday Inn quality. Next time I will book into the nearby Premier Inn, cheaper, cleaner and better rooms.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Anon A
JRothwell, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Anon A

Thank you for your review, I will pass on your comments about the condition you describe our rooms to our franchise owners.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Booked this hotel by mistake - meant to book the Crowne Plaza at M/C airport. Phoned reservations straight away but had to wait for Monday to speak to someone. They wouldn't let me change it even though it was to another of their hotels. Thumbs down for H. I.
The hotel was good and the staff very friendly and helpful. I phoned the hotel prior to the visit making sure that there was a lift and that it was working. All ok until I got there and apparently the lift only services part of the hotel and the rest is accessed by stairs. And you can guess, my room was in that section. A problem when you have difficulties climbing stairs. Thumbs down for the staff not making this clear when I phoned but they were very apologetic when I was there and helped as much as they could. Breakfast was good and staff friendly.
Now taxis from the airport. Don't go to the regular rank as they will charge you between £17 & £20 each way. Scandalous. Use either the tel. no. the hotel gives you or the hotel's shuttle (also a taxi). Still costs about £8 each way so in the end there's not much difference in what you are paying between this hotel and the Crowne Plaza which is obviously a better standard. Big mistake I made but learnt a lot. If you are driving then it's a better deal and the hotel's basically good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
JRothwell, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear freda7-10

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was pleased to read that overall we met your expectations. Thank you for a concise review, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back sometime in the future.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

we parked the car in the long stay car park and made our way to reception to check in.

we got 2 rooms on the ground floor. ( lower ground) they could have done with a bit of refurbishment - but still they where clean and comfy and quiet.

I booked a table for dinner on arrival and had an excellent meal later that evening.

next morning a taxi took us to the airport without any problems.
a week later we where picked up from the airport and dropped outside the hotel where we picked up our car.

all in all a good relaxing start to a holiday.
We will be using this hotel again on our next vacation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear chiefnt

Thank you for your review. I will forward your comments onto our Franchise owners in regards to a rooms refurbishment. However I was please to read you found your stay pleasant. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

This Holiday Inn falls way down the list when it comes to Check-In Staff attitude and the so called freshness and appeal of the rooms. As a Gold Elite Member of the Priority Club, I do expect a bit of extra attention and I have to say that all other IHG brands I've stayed in all over the world are good. However, the attitude and apparent lack of interest in customer satisfaction from the Receptionist at this hotel was as far removed from pleasant as you get. Having asked if there were any room upgrades available, I was promptly told "You've already been upgraded to a King Room" This is what I'd booked in the first place and paid for, but I wasn't going to argue as she was obviously at the end of a long day or at the beginning of a long night. My so called "upgraded room" was in the basement and stunk of dampness and was damp. I asked to move and was given another room in the same block, but on the second floor. Bathroom very tired. Bed kept moving forwards towards the TV when propped up against the headboard!! Pillows had dropped down behind the bed by morning!! No lift by the way in this block! The main block appears to be more modern and has lifts. The carpets in the "old block" are worn and there is a smell of must and dampness in the stairwells and corridors. Breakfast was mediocre. It was in the package I bought, but hugely overpriced for what it was if bought on the day. Not a good ambassador for an otherwise great brand of hotel. Refurbish the rooms and the attitude of your check-in staff

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear airmilesjames

Thank you for your post. I will forward your comments about the rooms and corridors being in need of a refurbishment to our Franchise owners. I will also speak with my reception manager in reference to your comments about the poor welcome you received. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We used this hotel for two weeks parking with an overnight stay on our return. It all worked very smoothly. I like the fact that the car remains parked, where you park it, in their long-stay area at the rear of the hotel and you keep your keys. The transfers to and from the airport went very smoothly with friendly drivers in both directions. The room was perfectly adequate for an overnight stay. Breakfast was surprisingly good - plenty of variety and choice. So long as the price is right we shall certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Tricia F

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read you had a pleasant stay, I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you fly out of Manchester.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Booked a car parking and hotel deal on return from holiday.
Must have got the smallest room in the hotel had to walk sideways and had to climb in the bed from the end - got into bed and the douvet was torn on the inside - it looked like it had caught in the washer/dryer, too tired to complain at the time but did mention it on departure.
Constant noise from heating pump.

Good job it was only 1 night or would have complained.

I did not expect this from a hotel normally thought to be good quality.

Room Tip: dont go to the rear its noisy- if you are staying longer dont accept a room like ours.