“Not a bad stopover.”

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed here on return from our holiday. Were picked up by cab at airport(included in price of room price). Bed was massive, so big i couldnt tell my husband was in the bed!! The only thing i would say is, my two teens slept on the sofa bed which i woyld say is only suitable for small kids. Perhaps next time would chose two rooms. Breakfast was lovely with just about anything you could wish for! Would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank aardaen

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Booked and paid for one night, with meal, transfers and car parking.
Arrived - they didn't know who we were. No record of dinner reservations.
Transfer mini bus had our names down for a place - but no seats. The return pick up took 30 minutes and a couple of phone calls to be told he was on his way - it's a ten minute ride back to the hotel so don't know what route he took.

The reception staff appeared to be very disorganised and there was lots of tapping at the computer and asking for assistance from others.
The meal was reasonable - albeit a long time in arrival. It seemed there was just one waiting on staff and one chef...hence a bit of wait as the hotel was filling up.

The room was adequate and clean.
The hotel TV advertises Free swimming pool / steam room / sauna facilities to hotel guests. When we went to use we were asked to pay £5 each. We did get the free facilities but only because we pointed this out as a freebie to guests to the reception staff - who didn't really know that either.
The alarm call requested from reception didn't happen. Good job we had our own alarms set.

We won't be going back. The service was just too poor.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The booking was not recorded and took ages to sort out. The room was dingy, dirty and stank like an ashtray. There were some strange looking stains in the bathroom and what seemed to be an alien hanging from the toilet bowl.
The phone in the room looked OK, sadly you cant use it for any calls to the outside world! You can use it for Room Service, however, this can take approx 1 hours worth of calling and usually is achieved by complaining to the reception (go direct, phone not working!) When you eventually get the room service it will be answered in broken english and you will have to explain slowly what you want. On this, be diligent and tell them that you do NOT want the extra black hairs with your meal.
The other 'deliberate' advertising misconception is that the hotel is "near" to the airport, whicjh is true but sits on the 'other side' to the Manchester Airport train station. This is the taxi drivers dream and you can be asked for up to 20 GBP for a single ride!

The basic cost to stay here is lower than most, due to the fact that it really should be knocked down and turned into a car park. You will do better staying at a good local hotel like Bewley's and get a better nights accommodation, meal and service.
Like I said earlier Dont Use This Hotel!!

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Dave R
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have never written a bad review before, but feel I have to with my poor stay at this hotel sorry.
Having not been able to go on holiday for quite a numbers of years, we actually managed to book a week in Spain. Because of the early flight and distance we would have to travel to airport, we decided to start our holiday a day early and book into this hotel, as we have done at other hotels on past holidays.
We got there and all looked good.
We stood at reception waiting to check in for 45 minutes as the couple before us had a few problems to sort.....not once did the person on reception apologise for the wait.
We found that we was on the 3rd floor....the lift only went to the 2nd!! So we then had to cart our cases up the stairs......not good after recovering from a heart attack!!
Then I could of cried at the room. I have never seen a room as small!!!! The bed was up against a wall, so we had to climb over each other if we needed to get up to use the bathroom. The bed was that small, with the 2 pillows side by side, they hung over the bed.
Only one person can more around in the room at any time.
If you are going to stay overnight and want a shower before you leave, take your own toiletries as the complimentary ones are not worth a jot.
The food and drinks are quite expensive....something you don't really need to be doing before you go away.....but on the good side we found a pub/restaurant 10 minute walk up road called The Honey Bee....excellent staff and food!!!!
The good thing.....transport to and from airport.....but I could of done that myself at half the price!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: My helpful tip would be if looking at this hotel is don't...go to another!!!!
2  Thank Mandy S
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Although staff were friendly and the hotel was clean, we are so disappointed with the room. On the third floor and the lift only goes to the second floor! The room is tiny with a three quarter bed tight against a wall because there is so little space. Pool £5 per person. Never written a poor review before. So disappointed, wanted a restful night before our flight...no chance, feel penned in.

Room Tip: Check you're not on a floor with lift access and that you have at least room to swing a mouse!
1  Thank CaroleCymru
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We needed somewhere to stay before an early flight, this seemed ideal as we would be able to leave the car and use their taxi transfer service. The room was ok, clean and comfortable - served its purpose, as did the bathroom. Take your own shampoo and shower gel as only little bar of soap is provided - rather mean. As other reviewer has said. the staff do an awful lot of chatting amongst themselves but were pleasant enough if you could attract their attention! We booked transport to airport for 7 a.m. and made the effort to be downstairs with our luggage in good time, but the minibus did not arrive until 7.10, and did not leave until 7.25 after unexplained faffing about and waiting for numerous other passengers who arrived in dribs and drabs. EXTREMELY ANNOYING. No explanation, no apologies. On our way back the taxi stopped a little way away from the drop off point as some considerate person was waiting there in a car - we didn't know where he would stop or what the vehicle would look like but did the driver leave his seat to call us? Not a chance. I don't know what would have happened if we hadn't asked. Again, no apology, totally charmless. We had the right number for the exits from the carparks, though the bloke in front hadn't - we were able to tell him the numbers we had.
I don't think we'll be using this hotel again.

1  Thank Norton850
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I had stayed at this hotel a few times over the past few years whilst it was a Holiday Inn and it was always OK for a one night stay and parking. It seems the hotel has gone into a bit of decline over the past year or so and has been taken on by Britannia, and from my experience Britannia appear to take declining hotels and then let them decline further squeezing out the remaining profit. This did nothing to change my opinion.

On arrival the check in was not too good, the gentleman behind at reception gave me my room key, but explained nothing about the car parking or airport transfer service until I prompted it. I asked for a wake-up call at 4.00am which never came until 4.30 (thankfully we were up anyway, had we relied on that we may have been cutting fine to get to our fight) and the car park exit code he gave me never worked on my return.

The room itself served its purpose but was well worn as is the hotel in general, as I say on a downward spiral.

We went to the bar and I wish I hadn’t bothered as the bar staff are clearly not properly trained either, after ordering a pint of beer the guy went to the tap which just sprayed out froth and instead of going to get another glass simply filled the half frothy glass up from another tap swilled the beer around and filled it again (I realise this may appear to be a pointless moan but the fact is it does rather spoil the beer).

Throughout I found the staff to be rather dis-interested in the customers and happy to stand around talking about the night out with their mates and so on. This was certainly true on my return when I got stuck at the car park barrier and went in to ask for the code, I must have been invisibly stood at reception for a good few minutes whilst the two receptionists finished gassing about celebrity mags and so on.

On the whole this was a decent hotel at one point but I won’t be returning and indeed will avoid Britannia hotels until they sort out they race to the bottom approach to business.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank graemeboro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport

Been to The Airport Inn Manchester? Share your experiences!