“No parking - cars being blocked in!”

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Kirkby in Ashfield, England, United Kingdom
“No parking - cars being blocked in!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Check in at the hotel was a joke but parking there was priceless, never before had I struggled to park in a pre paid airport and stay hotel package. Cars were literally parked anywhere that there was space to fit a car - up on pavements - down the driveway - anywhere! However I did managed to find a marked out space at the very back of the hotel in a run down part of the car park. On return, I was pleased to see a car had completely blocked me in! How thoughtful . 15 mins of in and out and lots of supervision I was finally out of the space. Very annoyed I complained to reception, no senior manager on duty (of course) and guess what.. this is a common problem, they currently have another car blocked in their front car park - but rest assured they are addressing the problem! Not only the car parking is beyond help, the shuttle service they promote through Club Car taxis is also a pantomime, do not turn up at the time you booked, other guest gladly push straight by you to get into the taxi before you. No organisation at all. So if you want your car back and in one piece after your holiday stay as far away from this place as possible.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Melanie T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
Mid Glam South Wales
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I agree with previous comments on the difficulty of finding a parking space, it is def more popular since becoming a Britannia airport hotel and I suspect the price is the main reason. Excellent taxi transfers both ways, no hanging around. Check in on our late arrival was fine, rooms are small but clean and ideal for one night. I didn't realise that we had stayed there before when it was called something else but we had no problems before and this time was no different. A welcome cup of coffee in the room was just what we needed after a long flight and we were suitably refreshed after a good nights sleep and ready for our long journey home. Would recommend this for airport parking and overnight stay.

1 Thank BluebirdFACup08
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We have stayed 3 times previously when it was the holiday Inn without any problems at all. It is now the Britannia airport Inn and has gone down hill rapidly in terms of organisation and management.
There were no parking spaces anywhere when we arrived for 15?days parking and overnight stay prior to our flight. Hotel had obviously overbooked and people were driving around the car park and some having to leave their cars on double yellow lines. Eventually at around 9pm we found a space.... 2 hours after we arrived.... Not a great start to a holiday!! Reception staff did not seem to care or have any solutions and others were at the desk with the same issue.
Rooms were ok. Transfer was a shuttle taxi the following morning and there were no problem with this. The other 4 families on the shuttle going out and three couples on our return also had the same problem with parking so clearly not an isolated incident.
However as parking was the main reason we stayed here... We will not be staying again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank justloveholidays7_13
Newcastle
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Possibly the worst hotel I've ever stopped at.
Booked to park our car for a week before returning for an overnight stay.
We arrived at hotel to find cars parked everywhere and anywhere. I asked reception where we should park & they said to try and park on the grass which I think is disgusting as we had paid money to park our car here whilst on holiday. The reception staff didn't seem to know anything about the parking situation and a porter had to direct us. We had to use the exit gate to enter the 'secure' car park. There are no cameras anywhere to be seen and staff didn't seem bothered when I asked if they needed my car registration or any details so I'm not sure how they know whose parking.
On return from our holiday we arrived at hotel at 2am. Our room was tiny and due a refurb. There were stains on carpets and walls. The bathroom was dirty and the glasses in the bathroom were smashed.
When asked if we could get a drink we could only gave water. There was no where to get a snack or soft drink which you'd expect in an airport hotel when people are arriving at every hour.
I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Toni K
South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Last night in Manchester before tripping back to Australia. We didn't have a car so parking was not a issue. The check in and out was ok, but this was mid week so weekends may differ. Rooms clean and beds comfy. The food was a bit expensive for pretty bland affair.
Overall OK, if you fly in then don't pick up a rental till the next day so parking no issue.

Room Tip: not near the noisy elevator
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked a Park and Stay package here in May 2014. We holidayed first and stayed overnight at the end of our holiday. We arrived to find long queues in Reception as the car park barriers had broken down and customers trying to both enter and leave were unable to do either. Fortunately, we found an area of car park where the barrier had stuck at open.
We returned at midnight from holiday, only to be told that we'd have to be transferred to a different hotel! After a chat with the desk clerk, we realised that this applied only to incoming customers. Britannia had greatly overbooked the hotel's parking spaces, with cars parked on every available grass verge around the building. It was chaos. The desk clerk kindly found us a room, despite orders to move us to another hotel, and we managed to get some rest. On both occasions, the desk clerks tried their best to solve a problem which wasn't of their making, and deal with some very fractious customers.
Oh to have Holiday Inn in charge of this hotel once again! We have stayed here on many occasions, using Holiday Inn's Park and Stay facility -but not any more! Get your act together, Britannia Hotels!
We won't return.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel!
6 Thank Yorkshire_Lass2908
Barton-upon-Humber, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Booked this hotel on holiday extras, one nights stay with secure parking what a joke. We arrived just after 2 pm a friend was following us we got the last 2 parking spaces at the front of the hotel. We booked in which took a while as only one member of staff on duty. Her attitude was anything but helpful, we asked about moving our cars to the long term parking area we was told its full as we have a big conference on at the hotel and when they leave at 5pm then space will become free. We went to our room on the third floor, the lift only goes up to the second floor. The room was small but clean, our room was at the rear of the hotel which overlooked the secure parking area, we could see it was jam packed full with people driving around with no where to park. When I booked the hotel I looked it up on Google earth and saw a small parking area right at the back up a small incline so I moved my car and found this area, it had 2 spaces left so I parked my car. When I got back to reception about 10 people were all compiling about no parking being available, they got told the same as we did that they had a big conference on at the hotel. I went to reception at 5pm to book a table for our meal and for the transfer in the morning. I saw the big conference leave a total of 8 people left they created all of 4 parking spaces at the front of the hotel. So much for lots of spaces becoming free at 5pm, no cars came out of the secure long term area. When I asked I was told oh we are told to say that if customers are complaining we are always over booked for spaces.
We went down for over evening meal and got told no booking had been made and we would had to wait 30 to 45 minutes despite tables being free, I did at this point complani, suddenly the member of staff could not understand English. I went to reception and made my feelings known, the restaurant supervisor came to see us thank the Lord she was at the hotel when it was owned by Holiday inn not Brittana, so we so polite and very helpful, we got a table.
The service was very good and the food was excellent we had a very meal with wine.

The staff at breakfast were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, when we booked it stated breakfast from 4am with hot at 6am this is not the case cold came out around 5.15 and hot at 6am. The food was good.

Transfers to and from the airport we OK. When we got back to collect our car the parking was even more full with one side of the road to the long term area being full of cars, car parked under the rear barriers, on double yellow line areas, When you think it can't get any worse it looked it did.

So beware parking is not garrenteed and staff Lie too you.

Room Tip: Don't use parking is not garrenteed and very hard to find a space.
4 Thank John W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Etrop Grange
Etrop Grange
#66 of 118 in Manchester
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel

Been to The Airport Inn Manchester? Share your experiences!