“Average room but served purpose”

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed for one night as had an early flight. The car park was full on arrival but we were told the car would be safe at the front of the hotel. There was relief staff on the reception desk and they didn't install confidence in the filling in of forms for the pick up transfer in the morning and they didn't know where the lift to get to the room was. However in the morning the transfer went like clockwork so my thoughts were unfounded. The room is basic but served its purpose for the early start. We didn't have any food but there is a very good pub up the road called The Honey Bee. On return the car and return transfer went well and I would use the hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lo2sogo

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid! Our 'triple room', booked for my large teenage children and myself, turned out to be one bed with three sets of pillows. They then tried putting me in a room which hadn't been cleaned since the previous occupant. The whole place smells of damp and mildew. The pool (the reason we booked it) was empty, the staff dour. My son got covered in bedbug bites. Neither the phone nor TV remote worked. Other guests' hairdryer started smoking. They had run out of bread - bread?! and crockery for breakfast with an hour to go. My fruit salad was fizzy, and then for the finale - a black hairy thing ran along the window sill. It wasnt a rat. It was a mink!! I have written.

6  Thank Mary H
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We have previously stayed here when it was the Holiday Inn & I must say that the Hotel has improved since the change.

We arrived the day before our flight, check in was smooth, parking not a problem, Check in staff were fantastic, room was comfortable,

We decided to eat out & went to the Honeybee which is a lovely country pub about 1/2 a mile from the hotel, but this is on a very busy road and the pavement is overgrown with bushes. so my advice is cross the road as soon as you leave the hotel and head left, the pub is on the same side as the hotel & serves lovely food at a reasonable price, and stunning surroundings.

The day of our flight the reception staff again were very friendly advising us that a minibus would arrive to take us to the airport, this was again faultless.

On return back to the UK we simply phoned the taxi company, who arrived within minutes, Tho ask the driver when getting dropped off where exactly they will be picking up on return journey as we were a bit confused as where to get picked up. I would recommend staying here prior to a flight.

Room Tip: Room 007 - near reception & near gym
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Horrible place. Since changing from holiday inn to Britannia the place seems to have gone into free fall. Our requirements for adjoining rooms was ignored. Pool was shut (one of our primary reasons to stay there) but the hotel neglected to inform us before we arrived even when we checked in! Discovered when i went to investigate. When we asked to speak to the manager he managed to avoid us for 3 hours before skulking off shift sending his duty manager to take the flak.

Service in restaurant was poor not the fault of the staff who were friendly and helpful working too hard due to being understaffed.

rooms are ok but i will not stay here again and unless things are sorted it will only be a matter of time before this place is a ghost hotel.

Room Tip: Don't bother go somewhere else.
4  Thank Tony A
Reviewed 21 July 2014

First of all we previously stayed at venue when it was holiday inn wasn't spectacular but was ok and spa and pool was used before we flew
8 of us booked this before we flew to family holiday with airport parking so we could all get together and have a stress free travel to t1
We found out online that 1 it had changed hands and 2 the pool was chargeable so I rang hotel and was told this was true a little disgruntled I thought oh well when other members of our party arrived before us they were told facilities were un available due to repairs which were started Monday and as I had rang Tuesday and no one informed me
We checked in to our rooms we were asked if we wanted transfers to airport I then stated that we had already paid at booking.com he demanded to see details which stated this which I provided
We had an evening meal deal booked at 20 per couple and then was told we only having the15 pound meal deal then the couch trip arrived so any food we ordered was then an hour and 20 minutes late the staffing was iinadequate the food was abysmal my steak was supposed to be rare and arrived like a plank of wood
All in all rubbish

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
3  Thank Jon P
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel 2 or 3 years ago when it was part of the Holiday Inn chain. It was simple but clean and reasonable value (considering it close to the airport) and I had a pleasant stay.
Needing to be in the area again, I guessed I would find it similar this time, despite noting that it was no longer owned by Holiday Inn, but the Britannia organisation.
How wrong could I be!
On check-in, instead of a welcoming greeting, the young lady continued to finish whatever she was doing before looking up at me, unsmiling, "Do you want something?" - I almost could not believe what I was hearing!
My room was on the first floor, up a lift that sounded in pain. The room itself was a mix of OK and poor - the bathroom (very small) was clean as was the bedding, but the room itself had a stained carpet, torn net curtains and a view to the rear overlooking a flat roof that was covered in rubbish and cigarette stubs.
The hotel is advertised as having a pool and leisure complex, but I could find no information about this in the room, nor in the public areas. It seems as if it now run as a totally separate facility, if at all.
Without my luggage, my subsequent movements from the room to the entrance were via the stairs, which had threadbare carpets and looked rather susceptible to tripping.
PROs - Price (for an airport hotel), the restaurant area was pleasant, with reasonable drinks prices at the bar. The bar menu had reasonable choice and the food, although somewhat pricey, was OK.
The car park outside was free (get a leaflet from reception to put on the windscreen) and close to the hotel entrance.
CONS - Grubby rooms, poor condition of fittings in room and some public areas. VERY rude staff, particularly on reception. My room keycard decided to deactivate after one night, despite the fact I was there for two and I had to go all the way to reception to sort it. I was not even offered an apology! Some serious need for staff training I think!

A poor shadow of the hotel as it was in its Holiday Inn days!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Colin H
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Booked in for a week’s car parking from the 6th July - 13th July with overnight stay on the 13th. Arrived to meet a disgruntled receptionist on the 6th July who instructed us to wait outside for our airport transfer. Twenty mins later when it hadn't arrived I popped back to reception to make sure the transfer was on its way – it wasn’t. Not only had it not been ordered the receptionist denied she had even seen me before! No apology was offered. When we stayed over on the 13th July we were greeted by yet another disgruntled employee and when we booked in I asked if it was going to be possible for me to pay with cash for the stay despite me pre booking the stay online with a VISA Debit Card. I was informed that this would be ok and so I paid with cash and went to the room. The room was small for a double but was ok for a one night stay.
Breakfast was a sham – staff was rushing around to find clean cups and plates and it appeared like it was a case of the blind leading the blind!
When I checked out I was greeted by the same receptionist I had met on the first day and her mood hadn’t improved any. She asked for my card details for payment for the room and I informed her that I had paid in cash the night before. After several minutes of “clicking her mouse” and hunting through paperwork she said it was fine the room was paid and I was “ok to leave”. Think that counts as a “goodbye, safe journey and we hope to see you soon” in the Airport Inn Receptionist Handbook.
Happened to check my bank account online 2 days after checking out and saw that I had been debited £99 for my stay after I had paid cash! I Placed a call to the Hotel and was put through to a lady in the Accounts Team who couldn’t apologise more. It appears that the Staff member who took my payment in cash booked it in but not against a specific room number so it was sat waiting to be claimed. I confirmed my room number and what had happened and I am now waiting for a refund onto my debit card.
With the exception of the Lady in accounts I would say that the customer service during my stay was appalling and I would strongly suggest you don’t book in here and you find somewhere else to stay that actually value customers.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Drakesy99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport

Been to The Airport Inn Manchester? Share your experiences!