“Cheap and cheerful - brilliant food though”

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Run down ex. Holiday Inn - run in RyanAir Style (ie. everything costs extra, except WiFi)

Had booked an accessible room, yet there are in the basement and the chairlift does not work, and by the look of it has not for a while. So was a bit of a struggle to get to (very noisy) room.
Walls are paper thin! you hear everything that goes on next door and above you. (someone in the room above has a very good stamina - in fact impressive!
Staff are polite, yet very young and seemingly inexperienced.
Good cheap taxi service to airport at half price of ordinary costs - mind it would have been nice if they had bother answering the email I sent them about transfer before I arrived - it would have saved me 10£.

Restaurant is brilliant. Best Fish 'n Chips ever, and the Cesar Salad was out of this world :-)

Rooms let this place down, but location close to airport for spotters is ideal.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Im staying here for one night between a flight from italy-manchester-slovakia.
Room cost £44 from Laterooms.com
Quick book in,pleasant staff.
Room is clean and tidy bed is comfy.
Food in the bar area is expensive as my burger cost £14 but San Miquel is good.
No issues-stay here if youre inbetween flights and need a no fuss stopover-airport travel is £6 return with a wake up call.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I booked this hotel as was going to a wedding and felt it was an ideal place based on proximity to the airport and to wedding venue.
I became concerned in the weeks leading up to wedding with reviews on tripadvisor particularly in regards to the room cleanliness. I contacted the website I had booked with and they contacted the hotel twice on my behalf and I did as well and it was only on the third attempt that they finally contacted me. They did nothing to reassure us or our concerns. Unfortunately prices had gone up in the area so we had to stay there.
Met a pleasant guy on reception who allowed us to check in early which was most welcome. The room was on the small side and the bathroom had an unpleasant smell of mould. The room was clean however.
When I had read about the hotel I had read of a free shuttle bus operating to airport. This was cancelled for some months and a taxi is £10 to airport and a further £4 to go to Manchester Picadilly. As we didn't have a car and there is nothing in area (no nearby restaurant etc) we were stuck with a lot of extra travel expenses. We had some drinks that night in bar and found staff pleasant and polite. We ate breakfast the following morning and were shocked at the £13 for a full English or £6 for a continental breakfast. I opted for the continental but the fruit was from a tin, the yoghurt tasted like plastic so effectively I paid £6 for a bowl of cereal! My partner got continental breakfast but found it bland and overcooked. My advice would be to buy some food from a supermarket and bring it back to the room. The hotel is really cleaning up here as there is nothing in the locality so they can charge what they like and it's really not worth it! As I said we had booked our stay for a wedding and despite ringing from reception in plenty of time we arrived late due to repairs being made on motorway. The taxi man himself was surprised that hotel had failed to inform us of this as it has been advertised in media but being tourists we wouldn't have known and would have allowed myself even more time. It was ironic the follow if morning we heard other guest being informed about delays! Finally the walls are paper thin! We came home from wedding after 1 and heard a couple having a huge row and was like we were in the same room!
My advice would be to stay somewhere else if you're looking for a decent nights sleep and especially if you are using this as a base to see Manchester city as transport will really increase the price of your stay. Coupled with the poor customer, I will not be staying here again. So please don't make same mistake we did...reviews are true!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Eliza651
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for several years for my birthday when it was first a Moat House and then a Holiday Inn. Brittannia Hotels took over in early 2014. This is my first visit since and things have changed and not for the better.

On arrival, reception staff were polite and courteous however came across as very inexperienced and easily flustered at the simplest question. The hotel has continued the practice of allowing guests to pre-book breakfast the night before at a rate of £10 (rather than £13) and a voucher was issued for this. A Duty Manager had verbally agreed in advance to honour my Intercontinental Platinum Status however on arrival, staff tried to fob me off with a standard room. I stood my ground and insisted on an upgrade and was given what they called a "Lexx Executive Room." I have no idea what that was however it appeared to only be a standard room. There were no slippers or bathrobe and only Brittannia branded toiletries. There were no biscuits, bottled water or fruit - nothing at all to differentiate it from a standard room.

The room was of a respectable size and was generally clean, but clearly hadn't been well vacuumed. The bathroom benefitted from a tub with overhead shower. I noticed that the corridor had dirty food and drink items outside doors for the entire time I was there and made everything look tatty. There was air conditioning however this wasn't effective and the room became very hot during the night. The bed was large and very comfortable.

One of the attractions at the hotel has always been the fitness centre and spa and this has really gone to seed. I was aghast that guests are now charged £5 to go in and when I asked for a towel was told that would be another £1. I challenged this but was told the Leisure Club was now a separate company and I even had to pay cash rather than charge it to my room. However they structure it, the hotel needs to work out an arrangement with the spa and ensure that guests get complimentary access. Also disappointing was the very time worn changing rooms and the deeply ground in dirt on the floors. I felt that I needed to shower back in my room after standing on the floor in the changing rooms.

Another aspect of the hotel that I have liked traditionally is the breakfast buffet, which is in an attractive conservatory location. The food quality has dropped significantly and the range of what's available has also been reduced. Breakfast is now very mediocre indeed and I am positive that the orange juice had been diluted. It tasted like flavoured water. Eggs were totally dried out and I asked for fresh ones to be brought to me. They hadn't arrived after 15 minutes and I challenged this, to be told that "there isn't a bell for the chef to let us know that things are ready!" Some staff in the restaurant had a very poor command of English.

Overall this was a very disappointing visit and I feel that I may have to consider finding a new "hidden gem." The Airport Inn has certainly lost its sparkle

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Robin K
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel last year prior to flying out following day and was excellent hence booked again despite it having changed names.
Greeted at reception by what I could only describe as a robot - couldn't give information fast enough however that information was limited constantly had to ask questions such as voucher for parking, what time was breakfast as none of this was given.
No information in room re hotel facilities at all. Had to ask for extra glass, towels etc despite room having been booked as a family room.
Noted that in all areas staff appeared extremely unhappy bickering about each other and generally looking downtrodden. Resulting in it being very apparent that everything was an effort to make customers feel welcomed,
Limited availability for breakfast and had to ask for clean cups etc.
This was meant to be a relaxing start to our holidays sadly didn't work out that way also disappointed that swimming pool etc unavailable maybe not the best time to do renovations at peak season.
Happy staff make happy customers is my recommendation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Diane G
Reviewed 29 July 2014

On arrival at reception a nice friendly chap booked me in and gave me my key. The room I was given was on the first floor which was good for me as I can't use lifts so thankfully only had to carry my very heavy suitcase up one flight of stairs.

Unfortunately when I got to the room it was a double and I have booked a twin room. Left my suitcase in the room and popped down to reception to advise them of the situation. The nice chap that had booked me in wasn't there and had been replaced with a young lady (I use that term loosely btw) who would have cracked her face if she had smiled............what a misery!!!!!

I explained that I had booked a twin room and she looked at the booking on the computer and told me rather abruptly I had booked a double room and if I required a twin room I would have to pay more for changing as I had booked a particular deal. I had the booking details on my mobile which I had left in the room so went and got it from the room and showed her the booking. So hiccup over I got a twin room.

The room was what I expected, basic but it was clean. My friend turned up later and got the parking voucher from reception...........he had to drive around the car park a few times to find an empty space but fell lucky when he was directed to a space that someone was vacating.

Had a meal in the restaurant which I enjoyed and no problem with our taxi to the airport the next morning..........slept well too, no noise to speak of.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 19caz59
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked 2 nights at this hotel as part of a 5 day break visiting various places from Manchester to Bakewell. Booked through booking.com which others have pointed out makes no mention of the pool having been out of order for weeks and for weeks to come, and i only found out by asking the opening times at Reception, so nothing on the booking confirmation either. The room was very small, basic,shabby and smelled of mildew. There were no t-bags in the room and the cups had the previous occupants tea remaining in the bottom, although they had obviously been wiped out with a cloth of some kind. We complained to a very nice,apologetic (? aussie) guy who immediately upgraded us to an executive suite -MUCH better!! However the cup issue re-emerged the next day when we returned to our room and found the same cups left on the tray -wiped out again but with tea stains in. I complained to the duty manager and asked exactly what cloth was being used to clean these cups......the same cloth that they used to clean the toilets/the bathrooms -and use from room to room?? She was appalled at this unhygienic practice and i pointed out that their staff are basically putting their customers health at risk - imagine being struck down with a bug just when you start your holiday? She offered us a free breakfast by way of compensation (!) which was dreadful -i'm only glad i didnt pay £10 for it. The servery was devoid of food - no pastries, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages, no mushrooms etc and no butter -deserted! The eating area we were instructed to use had tables completely full of dirty crocks (despite being empty) and NO attempt was being made to clear them. The orange juice was so watered down it was undrinkable. I pointed out to the young man on the restaurant entrance that before continuing to show people into the dining area he might want to clear some tables and he just shrugged his shoulders. As others have said, we also were locked out of our room on the 2nd night and had to stand in reception for 20 minutes to get it unlocked - with no apology from reception staff. Have been offered a better stay next time -you must be joking! i have emailed the duty manager with my concerns and that a free lousy breakfast just didnt cut it....still waiting. This young lady said she had only been there 4 weeks -well i fear she has her work cut out....thats if shes not left already.

Room Tip: dont bother - book a Premier Inn