“Fantastic food and a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Farrells - CLOSED

Farrells
Good for: View, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

This was my first visit to Portishead and we were just wandering up towards the sea when we saw this little gem. It is in a lovely spot looking over the marina gates and out towards the sea.

The menu is just the right size with about 6 starters 10 mains and numerous deserts. My mother and I had the fish stew which was great, the fish was perfectly cooked, with a range of freshly cooked seasonal vegetables and the sauce with it was beautiful. My father had the fish and chips the fish was firm and fresh and the chips were fluffy on the inside and crispy outside (Just how I like them).

The food is fresh and put together with imagination, it really is worth the visit.

I can't recommend this place enough and I also would like to thank Antonio who served us, he really helped to make the whole experience very enjoyable.

1 Thank moulin100

bristol
“Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great Sunday lunch. It's rare to go out and have a roast as good as home but the food was seriously good. Good atmosphere and service. A real find and we will be back.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good food small portions over priced.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Small little venue good views food was good but there was not a lot of it service was average very expensive for what it was and i don't mind paying for good food.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Chris3636
Gatwick
“Oh Dear!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Italian food with an Irish twist sounded good. The place looks OK and we decided to take the plunge, my son lives close but had never been there before.

One of the best menus I've seen outside London but the prices are higher than they should be.

So my hopes were high.

Oh how quickly they were dashed. The waiter didn't seem that happy to be serving people and reluctantly found us a table - the place was never full so why there was any problem I don't know.

My son and I ordered Ham Hock Terrine as a starter. It looked good but that was it. He didn't finish his. I ate mine because I was hungry but wet, mushy, tasteless were some of the words we both used.

My son's chicken main course was dry and looked unappetising.

My pork belly was so nearly right. The crackling 75% hard. The apple and black pudding dressing looked good but had absolutely no flavour and the colcannon was colcra**y.

I ordered the cheese plate which included Cashel Blue - my favourite blue -something called Porter - which I'd never seen before - and "spicy" peccorino. The blue was OK but I've tasted much better, the Porter a total waste of time and the peccorino was a disaster. One taste and what felt like a scotch bonnet or something similar exploded in the back of my throat. I had a coughing fit for 5 minutes and all the waiter said was "I told you it was spicy". If you sell a product that is that strong, tell the customer.

In summary, the service was poor, the food bland and the bill was far too high.

In short, pretentious rubbish.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank TheHappyBritGatwick
“Sunday lunch at the lock”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Best Sunday lunch out ever! Don't expect it to be cheap as you pay for what you get. The beef was top quality melt in mouth. The deserts beautiful. Beautifully presented food. Excellent service. And excellent setting .

• Visited March 2014