“Central to Redhill - that's the only good point!”

Lynwood Guest House
Ranked #5 of 5 Redhill B&B and Inns
nottinghamshire
“Central to Redhill - that's the only good point!”
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I booked this B&B only a week or so before I actually travelled as I had to attend a meeting close to the town centre and chose it as it was available and close to the venue. When I viewed it on the website it looked very impressive, clean and a good standard of a B&B. I booked a double ensuite room on line and got confirmation back stating that 50% of the price would be taken from my debit card and the remainder was to be paid on arrival. THe price I was quoted did not match that on the website, I was told the room was £58 not £55 as quoted on website, but as I needed the room was happy to pay this. I was also told in my email that i couldn't check in until 3pm, when on the website it states from 12 noon and when you actually get in your room it states in there 2pm. As we were driving up from Nottinghamshire we didn't actually arrive until 4.30 anyway and upon arrival we were met by a young girl, who only looked about 15 years of age, she had no trace of our booking and didn't know what to do. She then telephoned someone and told us that there was no trace of the booking but if we wanted to go and wait in the room upstairs which was a double standard she would sort it, obviously after a 3 hour drive and being very tired, hungry and wanting a shower i was not happy and made it clear, she really didn't know how to handle us. After much discussion she actually told us that she would have a room for us but not for 2 hours as the people were still in it because they hadn't left when they were asked to, I told her this was not good customer service and not our fault. So we decided to leave our bags and hold her to her word, off we toddled to try and find somewhere to eat in the centre and find the venue we needed to be at in the morning. 2 hours later we returned to be met by a welcome party of adults with many apologies, our room was now ready, it was no.7, this was in the basement. We proceeded to the room and was very surprised with the size of it, it actually housed a double and single bed, so couldn't complain on the size. However that's where it stops. the ensuite was a little to be desired but as we were only staying one night we agreed that it was a good size room with ensuite facilities and it was after all only for one night. THat was the good point. Now to the bad points - the bed was very hard, pillows even harder that i couldn't sleep, the room smelt damp and it was not very clean even though it had just been cleaned. The shower was freezing and in the end we gave up with it and had a good wash as there was hot water in the washbasin taps,but not a plug,so it was a very makeshift wahs! but when i got up in the morning the very shabby, dirty and fluffy bath mats were soaking wet, there was a leak from the hand basin and the small chinese takeaway carton that had been placed under the pipes was now full and overflowed on to the floor and the bath mat had soaked it up, good thing really because otherwise we would have slipped on the wet floor. Breakfast - well if you wanted a cooked breakfast you did get a good selection by what i could see albeit served on a side plate and they did just cook what you wanted if you asked, but if you wanted continental this consisted of weetabix or cornflakes and toast with a choice of marmalade or strawberry jam. orange juice, tea or coffee, that was breakfast. I did not feel that the choice of continental breakfast was adequate. The crockery was not exactly clean either, i had to wipe my plates, bowls etc. before using. Timings for breakfast were also a mystery, in the room it stated 7.30 - 8.30 but on the dining room door and when asked they told us between 7.00 - 8.00. When I was due to check out the owner told me that she would knock £3 off as a good will gesture for the problems upon arrival, although I didn't think this was a great offer, it was better than nothing and to be honest I had more things on my mind at that moment, but when i stop and thin about it if they are advertising the rooms to be £55 on the website I didn't really gain anything as they had overcharged to start with. THe excuse she gave about the mix up was a problem with her computer and printer, but she did ask if she could charge my card I had used to secure the booking but I opted for cash, but thinking back if she had problems with her computer and hadn't got a copy of my booking from the online service how did she know my card details? Checking out was also confusing as it states 11 in the rooms but they really want you out after breakfast and make you feel uncomfortable if you stayed. As my meeting wasn't until 12 noon we decided we would stay in our room for a bit and then make our way there later, but after being made to feel unwelcome, we decided to check out and walk around the town and park until it was time for the meeting, but soon found that killing 3 hours wasn't easy in such a small town. Overall I had a very bad experience that I could have done without, I have stayed in many hotels and B&B's and don't always expect much when the price is so cheap, but I do expect cleanliness and a decent breakfast and service, this you do not get at this establishment. I would not recommend this B&B to anyone until it has had money spent on it. If they took time and effort this could be a lovely little place, but as it stands I think I would prefer to stay further out of the centre and travel in than stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redhill
Best Western Reigate Manor Hotel
Bridge House Hotel
Bridge House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Reigate
Hartsfield Manor Betchworth

Been to Lynwood Guest House? Share your experiences!