“Best Christmas Ever”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Bury
“Best Christmas Ever”
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This year our family and friends (AKA The Bah Humbug Appreciation Society) decided to try Christmas away. We wanted somewhere not far away in case the weather was bad and we had trouble travelling, and a friend had been to the Norton Grange about 3 years ago. It was the best Chriatmas we have ever had!
9 of us came and we had 4 rooms. We checked in on Chriatmas Eve and went in the pool and spa. This was a brilliant area, and relaxing in the outdoor heated pool/jacuzzi watching the sun go down was amazing. We had a 3 course dinner on Christmas Eve, and had pre-ordered our meal and wine (there was a discount if you pre-order and pay for wine!). The meal was really nice, and we had hats and crackers etc on the table. A Sinatra singer provided the entertainment.
On Christmas day a full breakfast was provided, and this was one of the better hotel breakfasts we have had. When that had gone down there was time for another swim and go in the spa as it was open until 1pm. It was great being able to swim on Christmas Day (that was one reason we chose the hotel) and our 9 year old loved it. There was then time to change before a 3 course Christmas Dinner, complete with a visit from Santa. Again, the food was brilliant and not the mass produced meals you get on Chrstmas parties. Those that wanted to could watch the Queen's speech with some Chritmas cake, or you could walk round the grounds or relax. A buffet was provided in the evening, then entertainment at night. We finished off with breakfast on Boxing Day.
The staff were absolutely brilliant, and all very polite and pleasant. Our rooms were all great. I've read the other reviews, and I suppose you could tell the carpet on our was older than the one in the room, but it wasn't worn, and the hotel was all very clean.
There were lots of finishing touches, like the glass of mulled wine we were offered when we arrived, and the mini mince pies at reception. It was tremendous value for money, and if it doesn't leap up in price we may go again. I have already had 2 requests to organise a trip for next year and more people are interested now!
Thanks for a great weekend, and I didn't feel like a bah humbug at all!

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms between 9 of us and they were all nice. Our family foom was brilliant. Really spaciou...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Donald_Stewart, Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Dear Jude

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your Christmas break with us last week. I am glad you had the "best Christmas ever" that is fantastic feedback to have!
I will pass this onto all the staff.
Customer service is so important to us and it’s great to make people happy whilst they are here and it certainly sounds as if that was the case over Christmas.
Hopefully see you next year.

Damon Yoxall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We have had our last three Christmas Parties at the Norton Grange and have to say we have enjoyed them all immensely. The food is good and (if as we did) you stay over, the facilities are first class - if you arrive mid-afternoon, you can enjoy a pre-party swim and spa!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Donald_Stewart, Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 24 December 2011
Dear Jerry O

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent Christmas Party with us. Its so nice to receive great comments especially about our Christmas events, I will make sure your review is passed onto all the staff.

Wishing you a Happy Christmas!

Oldham
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I attended a Christmas Party at the Norton Grange on Saturday 10 December 2011. The theme was 80s night. Overall, I have to say we (a party of 6) thoroughly enjoyed our evening. We were met by a friendly and organised host. The tables were decorated beautifully and the staff were very attentive. I have been on my fair share of Christmas party nights and been thoroughly dissappointed by cold, horrible, tasteless meals. I have to say, this was not the case at the Norton Grange. It was hot and really tasty. The waiters/waitresses were extremely organised. I can honestly say, we would definitely attend another christmas party here. If I had to make one negative comment, we had pre-ordered wine (as it was slightly cheaper to do this) which was a good idea. However, it wasn't the best red wine I could have bought for £13.50. Nonetheless, it was fine and absolutely did not ruin our night. Thanks. We will definitely be booking again next year.

Dear Sally
Thank you for your great comments regarding your Christmas party with us last week. We are so pleased you and your group enjoyed yourselves and we look forward in welcoming you back next year.
Christmas Parties are hard to get right as we try to please all 100% which is sometimes quite difficult. Great to see we made you all happy!

Reviewed 18 December 2011

The corridors are filthy, stains over every inch of the floor. The rooms are ok but can be very cold. The service in the bar is terrible people don't seem to have been trained. The food is way way overpriced for what it is. It is no way a bistro of some respect except they seem to like to charge the earth for it. 20 quid for a steak which came with 6 chips, not even a spuds worth, the meat was a rib eye supposed to ned rare it came out blue. It also managed to taste charred, a bit like a poor BBQ. The car park has to be the worst designed I have ever seen, I wouldn't like to walk to the car in heavy frost, you would break your neck on that slope. As I said the rooms were ok but the bathroom was dirty, not from not being cleaned but from mildew. I'd expect to pay 50 a night for this and expect the bar menu to be more extensive and more value for money. The rooms are about 80 a night for a std double not the 47 -75 stated below

• Stayed December 2011
Donald_Stewart, Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 20 December 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and would like to respond to some of your observations. We are due for the carpet to be replaced on the bottom corridor as we do have a few stains here and there but its mostly due to wear and tear, I am on it and it will be replaced in the New Year. I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy the service on the bar, customer service is so important for us and it is not acceptable to give anything but great service. I will speak to the chef regarding the undercooked steak you received.
We do strive for perfection and I wish you would have brought this to my attention during your stay so I could have resolved some of the issues you had. If you would like to discuss any of the matters raised in your comments please do give me a call at the hotel I would be more than happy to speak with you.
Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Damon Yoxall

Travellers are raving about these Rochdale hotels

Wirral
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Stayed here for two nights and was really impressed. The room was clean and comfy and the staff very friendly. The spa facilities were very good. Loved the outdoor jacuzzi.
We booked onto the 80.s explotion night and all of our party of 6 enjoyed it, and had a fun night. The meal was also very good and overall I wasvery impressed.

Room Tip: Room 215 was nice. Ask to stay near the spa end
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Donald_Stewart, Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2011
Likey Likey!
Great review thank you so much. I am glad you had a fabulous Christmas party on the 80's explosion, I love the 80's Adam and the Ants were my favourite band from that era.
I will pass on your kind words to the team we have great staff at the hotel and its always nice to give them good feedback it really helps.
I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel next year for your Christmas celebrations.

Middleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I would just like to send my Thanks to all the staff at the Norton Grange for the hard work involved in organising the Soul & Motown Christmas Party Night. Thanks especially to Lucy in Conference & Banqueting, the Chefs for an excellent meal, the waiting staff for their attention and the DJ for keeping us all dancing.

I agree with the previous comment that the Norton Grange did indeed manage to amintain their high standards during this exceptionally busy time.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We held our Xmas 'Do' at the Norton Grange Hotel. We had a wonderful evening which exceeded our expectations. The room held about 150 people but still felt intimate. Soon after being seated we were given individual notes by the staff to remind us of our pre-selected food choices (which was a clever touch!)
The starters arrived very quickly & I have to say that the home made pate was exceptional - it was the best starter I can remember having. There was just the right amount of time between courses & I had a lovely turkey dinner & chocolate torte to follow....I ate literally everthing!! What a credit to the hotel that they retain their super standards at this very busy time of the year. The staff were courteous & attentive & continually checked that we had everything we needed & more. Two of our party arrived very late after being stuck behind an accident & the staff accomodated this without hesitation.
The D.J. & artist that sang did a brilliant job & kept the dancefloor full all night.
We also spoke to one member of the catering staff for advice during the night - I would like to thank him for his personal attention & information (even assisting one of our party that didn't feel too well) forgot to get his name but if it helps he had red cloggs on!!!! Well done Norton Grange we can't wait to return.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Donald_Stewart, Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Dear Mil006

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas party at Norton Grange, it’s so hard to please everyone over the festive period as the right entertainment and food can be hard to choose. The pate is great myself and the head chef Phil (who was the chap in the red clogs) made sure that the recipe came up to standard, we are glad you enjoyed it.
I will pass your comments onto the rest of the team. Wishing you a very merry Christmas and great New Year.

Damon Yoxall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
#1 of 1 in Heywood
Best Western Broadfield Park Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Comfort Inn Manchester North

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!