“loved the spa”

Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Bedrooms are clean although not particularly large. Breakfast was good with lots of choice and nice fruits. We were on the top floor and despite having a wedding party in for New Year's Eve we did not hear them so it was quieter than expected. The spa was great. I loved the outside part, looking out at the countryside and having water gushing over my shoulders. I also loved the 18m pool which is larger than most hotel pools.
The location is OK in that you can catch a train to Manchester and be there in 20 mins. I t is not a nice area at all though with lots of boarded up houses on the way to the station (about 20 mins walk)and might be spooky for walking at night so take care!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Donald_Stewart, Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Dear Newgallowaygirl

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the Spa it really is a hidden gem within Rochdale.
We have a great breakfast buffet and it’s great to see you enjoyed it on New Years Day. I hope we can be of service to you in the near future.

Have a great New Year

Damon Yoxall

Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed 31 December 2011

we chose this hotel for a pre christmas chill, before sampling the christmas shops/markets in manchester on the way home. We did not regret our choice, from the minute we arrived the staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful, even supplying toothbrushes when we realised we had forgotten ours!! The leisure facilities are superb, and the indoor/outdoor jacuzzi was a unique experience!!
Top marks for the breakfast buffet ,you can help yourself to what ever & as much as you want.
Our only advise would be try & request a room away from the main road, it didn't spoil our stay but we could hear the traffic.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Alan

I read your review with great pleasure, its always nice to receive fabulous reviews especially about the staff, I will pass on your comments to all the team.

I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and our great Spa.
Look forward in seeing you again at Norton Grange.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

This year our family and friends (AKA The Bah Humbug Appreciation Society) decided to try Christmas away. We wanted somewhere not far away in case the weather was bad and we had trouble travelling, and a friend had been to the Norton Grange about 3 years ago. It was the best Chriatmas we have ever had!
9 of us came and we had 4 rooms. We checked in on Chriatmas Eve and went in the pool and spa. This was a brilliant area, and relaxing in the outdoor heated pool/jacuzzi watching the sun go down was amazing. We had a 3 course dinner on Christmas Eve, and had pre-ordered our meal and wine (there was a discount if you pre-order and pay for wine!). The meal was really nice, and we had hats and crackers etc on the table. A Sinatra singer provided the entertainment.
On Christmas day a full breakfast was provided, and this was one of the better hotel breakfasts we have had. When that had gone down there was time for another swim and go in the spa as it was open until 1pm. It was great being able to swim on Christmas Day (that was one reason we chose the hotel) and our 9 year old loved it. There was then time to change before a 3 course Christmas Dinner, complete with a visit from Santa. Again, the food was brilliant and not the mass produced meals you get on Chrstmas parties. Those that wanted to could watch the Queen's speech with some Chritmas cake, or you could walk round the grounds or relax. A buffet was provided in the evening, then entertainment at night. We finished off with breakfast on Boxing Day.
The staff were absolutely brilliant, and all very polite and pleasant. Our rooms were all great. I've read the other reviews, and I suppose you could tell the carpet on our was older than the one in the room, but it wasn't worn, and the hotel was all very clean.
There were lots of finishing touches, like the glass of mulled wine we were offered when we arrived, and the mini mince pies at reception. It was tremendous value for money, and if it doesn't leap up in price we may go again. I have already had 2 requests to organise a trip for next year and more people are interested now!
Thanks for a great weekend, and I didn't feel like a bah humbug at all!

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms between 9 of us and they were all nice. Our family foom was brilliant. Really spaciou...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Donald_Stewart, Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Dear Jude

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your Christmas break with us last week. I am glad you had the "best Christmas ever" that is fantastic feedback to have!
I will pass this onto all the staff.
Customer service is so important to us and it’s great to make people happy whilst they are here and it certainly sounds as if that was the case over Christmas.
Hopefully see you next year.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

We have had our last three Christmas Parties at the Norton Grange and have to say we have enjoyed them all immensely. The food is good and (if as we did) you stay over, the facilities are first class - if you arrive mid-afternoon, you can enjoy a pre-party swim and spa!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Donald_Stewart, Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2011

Dear Jerry O

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent Christmas Party with us. Its so nice to receive great comments especially about our Christmas events, I will make sure your review is passed onto all the staff.

Wishing you a Happy Christmas!

Reviewed 21 December 2011

I attended a Christmas Party at the Norton Grange on Saturday 10 December 2011. The theme was 80s night. Overall, I have to say we (a party of 6) thoroughly enjoyed our evening. We were met by a friendly and organised host. The tables were decorated beautifully and the staff were very attentive. I have been on my fair share of Christmas party nights and been thoroughly dissappointed by cold, horrible, tasteless meals. I have to say, this was not the case at the Norton Grange. It was hot and really tasty. The waiters/waitresses were extremely organised. I can honestly say, we would definitely attend another christmas party here. If I had to make one negative comment, we had pre-ordered wine (as it was slightly cheaper to do this) which was a good idea. However, it wasn't the best red wine I could have bought for £13.50. Nonetheless, it was fine and absolutely did not ruin our night. Thanks. We will definitely be booking again next year.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Sally
Thank you for your great comments regarding your Christmas party with us last week. We are so pleased you and your group enjoyed yourselves and we look forward in welcoming you back next year.
Christmas Parties are hard to get right as we try to please all 100% which is sometimes quite difficult. Great to see we made you all happy!

Reviewed 18 December 2011

The corridors are filthy, stains over every inch of the floor. The rooms are ok but can be very cold. The service in the bar is terrible people don't seem to have been trained. The food is way way overpriced for what it is. It is no way a bistro of some respect except they seem to like to charge the earth for it. 20 quid for a steak which came with 6 chips, not even a spuds worth, the meat was a rib eye supposed to ned rare it came out blue. It also managed to taste charred, a bit like a poor BBQ. The car park has to be the worst designed I have ever seen, I wouldn't like to walk to the car in heavy frost, you would break your neck on that slope. As I said the rooms were ok but the bathroom was dirty, not from not being cleaned but from mildew. I'd expect to pay 50 a night for this and expect the bar menu to be more extensive and more value for money. The rooms are about 80 a night for a std double not the 47 -75 stated below

• Stayed: December 2011
Donald_Stewart, Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and would like to respond to some of your observations. We are due for the carpet to be replaced on the bottom corridor as we do have a few stains here and there but its mostly due to wear and tear, I am on it and it will be replaced in the New Year. I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy the service on the bar, customer service is so important for us and it is not acceptable to give anything but great service. I will speak to the chef regarding the undercooked steak you received.
We do strive for perfection and I wish you would have brought this to my attention during your stay so I could have resolved some of the issues you had. If you would like to discuss any of the matters raised in your comments please do give me a call at the hotel I would be more than happy to speak with you.
Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

Stayed here for two nights and was really impressed. The room was clean and comfy and the staff very friendly. The spa facilities were very good. Loved the outdoor jacuzzi.
We booked onto the 80.s explotion night and all of our party of 6 enjoyed it, and had a fun night. The meal was also very good and overall I wasvery impressed.

Room Tip: Room 215 was nice. Ask to stay near the spa end
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Donald_Stewart, Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2011

Likey Likey!
Great review thank you so much. I am glad you had a fabulous Christmas party on the 80's explosion, I love the 80's Adam and the Ants were my favourite band from that era.
I will pass on your kind words to the team we have great staff at the hotel and its always nice to give them good feedback it really helps.
I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel next year for your Christmas celebrations.

Damon Yoxall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
The Victoria Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chadderton
Premier Inn Rochdale Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Bury

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!